Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind Deflector Mesh Replacement - The Easy Way!

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:10 pm

I've just replaced the mesh in my E85 wind deflector, and hit upon a way of doing this that made the job really simple.

The idea hit me when I was looking at how to replace the FEP release film on my 3D resin printer. This film forms the bottom of the resin vat, and has to be at the correct tension. It's sandwiched at the edges between two metal plates - one with a lip and the other with a groove. As you tighten the screws holding the plates together, the lip forces the film down into the groove and tensions it.

The trick is to put an object under the centre of the film when doing the initial tightening of the screws. This is then removed, and the screws are then fully tightened to stretch it taut. Without the object in place initially, the film ends up far too tight.

When I removed the damaged mesh from my wind deflector, I saw that it is tensioned in a similar way. In this case the mesh is forced into the groove around the opening by the rubber gasket, which has three ribs on it. As the gasket is pushed in past each rib, the mesh is forced further down into the groove, thus tensioning it as well as holding it in place.

The main problems are:

1) if the mesh is too tight at the start, it becomes very difficult to fully push the gasket home, due to the tension exerted by the mesh.

2) it's difficult to get the mesh properly lined up when you've finished pressing the gasket in, so the rows of holes aren't horizontal, or are wavy

2) you end up with creases and folds, and have to go through the whole process again

So here's what I did.

Firstly, the gasket needs to be removed by inserting a flat screwdriver into the edge of the gasket and teasing it upwards - be careful as a) you don't want to scratch the surround, and b) you don't want to stretch the gasket too much. As others have pointed out, I found it easier to start at a corner. I tried plastic trim removal tools at first, but the gasket is a tight fit, and I found these weren't man enough for the job.

In my case, I found that the mesh had been glued in a few places, so I scraped the old material out as best I could with a sharp knife and a screwdriver blade.

I took the new mesh and cut out a piece about 50mm wider than the deflector frame all round. I then laid the wind deflector frame groove upwards on a desk, placed an upturned small John West tuna/salmon tin (around 40mm tall) in the centre, then laid the mesh over the top. I then used small pieces of duct tape to attach the mesh to the desk - one in each corner, and two in the centre of the long edges:
IMG_1574 (2).JPEG
IMG_1574 (2).JPEG (189.95 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
The trick is to make sure the mesh is lined up (I used the edge of the desk as a guide) and only tight enough to remove any dips and wrinkles.

I then started inserting the rubber gasket at the centre of the upper (longer) edge, pushing down gently to the first rib. Try to press straight down and slightly towards the starting point to avoid stretching the gasket as you work your way around. Also do it evenly - press to the first corner, then go back to the centre and press across to the opposite corner.
IMG_1575 (2).JPEG
IMG_1575 (2).JPEG (202.85 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
When you get to the end, you'll probably find that the two ends of the gasket overlap each other, due to the gasket having stretched. Cut one end so that the overlap is only about 1mm, then butt the two ends together and push them into the groove - that way you'll avoid a gap.
IMG_1576 (2).JPEG
IMG_1576 (2).JPEG (269.47 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Next, undo and remove the duct tape, and remove the tin:
IMG_1578 (2).JPEG
IMG_1578 (2).JPEG (213.67 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Now continue pressing the gasket down to the next rib - again starting at the centre of the upper edge and working evenly round. If you see any slight stretches or folds in the mesh you can carefully lift up the gasket in that area and correct it.

If all then looks OK, you can go round a third time to push the gasket fully home. The mesh is tighter at this stage, so the gasket is harder to push down. I used a wallpaper seam roller to make the job easier.

With the gasket fully seated all round, it's time to trim the mesh. I used one of those small knives with blades that can be gradually snapped off as the blade dulls. Insert the blade on the outer edge of the gasket and, holding the mesh tight with the other hand, carefully drag the blade along. Don't press too hard to avoid cutting the gasket itself.

The blade will dull quite quickly, so as soon at you find the mesh difficult to cut, snap off another segment of the blade. Again be careful that the knife doesn't slip - you don't want to scratch the deflector frame, or worse still cover it and the new mesh with your blood!
IMG_1579 (2).JPEG
IMG_1579 (2).JPEG (195.79 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Hopefully, the end result should look like this:
IMG_1580 (2).JPEG
IMG_1580 (2).JPEG (302.57 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Job done!

The mesh I used can be found on eBay here.

This has the same pattern as the original mesh, but it's a heavier fabric. I therefore decided to try a lighter fabric first - this one.

It looked great when I fitted it, but it failed dismally on the test drive. In strong sunlight, it was pretty opaque - I couldn't see a thing through the mirror! I guess the mesh was far too tight and was diffusing the light too much. So I pulled the defelctor apart again and used the heavier fabric.

Second time around, and following the above procedure, it took me about 20 minutes from start to finish!

I hope this helps a few other people! :wink:
Last edited by Conrod on Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

MKZ4000

Post by MKZ4000 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Great How to and nice job :thumbsup:
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks. I've just realised that I posted this is to the E89 How-To rather than the E85 How-To board by mistake! :oops:

Mods - could you move it to the correct board?

Thanks in advance!
Alan

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks for putting my post where it should have been Sp3ctre! :thumbsup:
Alan

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:32 pm

Planning to perform this exact same task. thanks for the instructions! pretty straight forward. I have difficultires starting with the mesh. I see that the links dont work for me. Any clue what search terms i should use? any technical terms so i dont end up with the light fabric?
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:57 pm

NaweedMustafa wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:32 pm Planning to perform this exact same task. thanks for the instructions! pretty straight forward. I have difficultires starting with the mesh. I see that the links dont work for me. Any clue what search terms i should use? any technical terms so i dont end up with the light fabric?
Hi - no problem. Search for "windshott repair mesh" on eBay. Here's a link to their current listing:

Windshott Repair Mesh
Alan

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up, just done mine now.
BUT did your spring clips and plungers fall out from the sides, trying to work out how they should be clipped in now.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD