Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E86 Coupe rattle - Clutch DMF?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MurrayZ4

Post by MurrayZ4 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Hello all!
Time to pick some brains hopefully!
I’ve had a notchy 1st & 2nd gear since i had the car, i put it down to the Clutch Delay valve. However when reversing & pushing hard through gears there is definitely a sense of clutch slip.

However i’ve done 2 x 100+ mile drives in the last 2 days (mainly motorways & roundabouts) and pulled up at traffic lights with what sounded like a metallic rattle when in neutral (no clutch pedal in) when i engage the clutch pedal it goes away and in and out it makes the rattle every time its in neutral with no clutch engaged. It sounds similar to the misses golf which needed a dual mass flywheel clutch in it?
Is this the same? Cars only done 78k -Anyone with any experience?
Thanks in advance!

ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead

Post by ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:32 pm

Hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction soon

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:47 pm

The rattle in neutral is the clutch release bearing. Mine made that noise since I got it at 14k miles. It's unlikely to fail before the clutch plate or springs unless you're in the habit of sitting for hours with your foot on the clutch. If your clutch is slipping you'd normally change the release bearing at the same time.

I think you'll find many of our cars have notchy 1st and 2nd especially when cold. The trick is go to higher revs in those gears before changing and don't rush. There are loads of discussions about changing the oil. I had mine done by BMW at about 65k miles. I wanted to believe it made a small difference but I think that was probably wishful!
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm

I had my gearbox and diff oil changed last year on my coupe. It's still under 50k miles so it was an age not a mileage based decision. I do think it's slightly smoother. However, it can rattle a bit and occasionally first gear is a bit juddery - there are lots of threads on this. I still have my CDV. These issues go away almost completely with more revs, slightly more enthusiastic driving, and more frequent use of the car. They don't concern me.

I have no sense of clutch slip, though, and that would bother me - maybe have a reputable independent garage test drive it to give you an opinion?
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead

Post by ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:26 pm

What he said

MurrayZ4

Post by MurrayZ4 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:27 pm

Cheers Gents
I’ve got my mechanic coming round for a second opinion tomorrow. My plan was always to take off the road this month and over winter do some fettling in the garage and bring it back out for MOT and for my wedding car in April!
So hopefully its nothing too much to worry about….!