Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Options missing & not available

Discussing the current generation Z4
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:12 pm

ori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am Ok. So I agree about colours. There should be more options, but I wonder how much cost that adds?
The sound system is tough one. I mean it’s a 4K option on the Porsche so assume similar here. I wouldn’t spec it, but I understand how some people would.

Cooled seats. Had that on my dads car. Can’t say I miss it, but I feel it should be standard on the top end g29.

Can’t wait for my adaptive cruise control. ;)))
Not sure why, say, mineral grey would cost anymore than Milano blue though Ori… :? Just seems so illogical to limit colours… :idunno:

Burmester in a Boxster is £2.7k, a lot of money but imho well worth it, it’s plenty good enough not to want to rip the car apart and add aftermarket gear. It must be said very few Boxsters ever have it, they’re hens teeth rare and if you must have it on a 2nd hand car you’ll wait a long time, especially if you need certain other options as well. However it would be nice to have the option at least.

I know Sars isn’t a fan of adaptive cruise but then she is female after all…… :o :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Is there a rule, that says that women don't like ACC? I don't like it and I'm glad base model has standard cruise. I wouldn't order it, if it had ACC.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pm Is there a rule, that says that women don't like ACC? I don't like it and I'm glad base model has standard cruise. I wouldn't order it, if it had ACC.
No, it’s a joke…hence the wink…and I’ve known Sars on here for 6yrs so she won’t be PC brigade offended….
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ori

Post by ori » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:07 pm

I’ve never had adaptive cruise control. Everyone I know who has it raves about it. Especially on traffic!

Now as for the 2.7k for the sound system on a boxster. I think that’s on top of the upgraded sound system for around 1k.

I know is 4K on a 911.
You are right that they are rare on the boxsters as it’s a big cost option and the other options are very good anyway.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Had the base sound system on my 718 Boxster, don't really hear a difference between it and the H&K, though my hearing isn't great.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:38 pm

ori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:07 pm I’ve never had adaptive cruise control. Everyone I know who has it raves about it. Especially on traffic!

Now as for the 2.7k for the sound system on a boxster. I think that’s on top of the upgraded sound system for around 1k.

I know is 4K on a 911.
You are right that they are rare on the boxsters as it’s a big cost option and the other options are very good anyway.
No the Burmester is £2.7k all in on a Boxster Ori, nothing on top. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:18 pm Had the base sound system on my 718 Boxster, don't really hear a difference between it and the H&K, though my hearing isn't great.
That’s a good comparison Scuba, tbh the Bose in the Boxsters in worse than the plus 1 pack as it’s too bassy. Imho the sound plus 1 on the pork is very similar to the HK on our cars.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:08 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:12 pm
ori wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am Ok. So I agree about colours. There should be more options, but I wonder how much cost that adds?
The sound system is tough one. I mean it’s a 4K option on the Porsche so assume similar here. I wouldn’t spec it, but I understand how some people would.

Cooled seats. Had that on my dads car. Can’t say I miss it, but I feel it should be standard on the top end g29.

Can’t wait for my adaptive cruise control. ;)))
Not sure why, say, mineral grey would cost anymore than Milano blue though Ori… :? Just seems so illogical to limit colours… :idunno:

Burmester in a Boxster is £2.7k, a lot of money but imho well worth it, it’s plenty good enough not to want to rip the car apart and add aftermarket gear. It must be said very few Boxsters ever have it, they’re hens teeth rare and if you must have it on a 2nd hand car you’ll wait a long time, especially if you need certain other options as well. However it would be nice to have the option at least.

I know Sars isn’t a fan of adaptive cruise but then she is female after all…… :o :wink:
:P

Actually that was true, the one in the Golf, standard in the GT and higher, is not very good and it’s more of a hindrance than a help and being VW it’s well nannying in the way it works, beeps and warnings at the slightest provocation. However the one in the SL was fantastic but an expensive option, you could literally fall asleep at the wheel and you wouldn’t hit a thing, the car would drive itself, steering, breaks and acceleration. If the car in front stopped, no driver response was required, car would stop and then move off keeping a widely selectable distance from the car in front. I often thought that if I got pulled by the police for eating whilst driving, could they actually do me for driving without due care and attention :D

Colour options on the G29 are rubbish
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:13 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm
Roadster_Surrey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pm Is there a rule, that says that women don't like ACC? I don't like it and I'm glad base model has standard cruise. I wouldn't order it, if it had ACC.
No, it’s a joke…hence the wink…and I’ve known Sars on here for 6yrs so she won’t be PC brigade offended….
Ah thanks honey, you know me so well :D
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Roadster_Surrey

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 am

john-e89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm
I know it's a joke, but it's true for me :-) I don't like when my cars are trying to drive me, I prefer to drive them.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:55 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 pm
personally, I think the lack of colours may cause a limit on the number of sales.
I assume that it must be a cost saving exercise as is the packaging of options rather letting people pick and choose which one they want.

The Z4 only has minority appeal in a company that makes mass appeal cars so my guess is that manufacturing costs need to be kept as low as possible to keep the price competitive

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Ian J wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:55 am
Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 pm
personally, I think the lack of colours may cause a limit on the number of sales.
I assume that it must be a cost saving exercise as is the packaging of options rather letting people pick and choose which one they want.

The Z4 only has minority appeal in a company that makes mass appeal cars so my guess is that manufacturing costs need to be kept as low as possible to keep the price competitive
Paint isn’t expensive though Ian and has a huge impact on visuals of a car, surely the wider choice range that can only help sales, plus paint will be ordered at the time of the car build, they don’t stock it, it’s ordered in from other sources so no extra cost to BMW. Mineral grey will be no more expensive than Misano blue eg, It makes no sense having such a limited choice to me…. :?
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:32 pm

john-e89 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:57 pm
Paint isn’t expensive though Ian and has a huge impact on visuals of a car, surely the wider choice range that can only help sales, plus paint will be ordered at the time of the car build, they don’t stock it, it’s ordered in from other sources so no extra cost to BMW. Mineral grey will be no more expensive than Misano blue eg, It makes no sense having such a limited choice to me…. :?
My neighbour is an engineer for Land Rover so I'll ask him if a large variety of colours adds to the cost. Not only am I not an engineer but I don't even have an aptitude for it hence my guess that it might be down to the bean counters

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Ian J wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:32 pm
My neighbour is an engineer for Land Rover so I'll ask him if a large variety of colours adds to the cost. Not only am I not an engineer but I don't even have an aptitude for it hence my guess that it might be down to the bean counters
It’s probably not down to the cost of the actual paint per se, rather the downtime/wastage to change colour. Every time you change the colour, it has to be flushed clean I presume
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:37 pm

sars wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 pm
Ian J wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:32 pm
It’s probably not down to the cost of the actual paint per se, rather the downtime/wastage to change colour. Every time you change the colour, it has to be flushed clean I presume
It’s not even that Sars. A car takes 24hrs to be built from a sheet of rolled steel to showroom ready. They’re built to order so they wait for a batch big enough in one colour to make it worth their while going through the paint stage.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29