Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash cam

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
birdy_z4

Dash cam

Post by birdy_z4 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm

I’ve just fitted the dash cam below, seems good and a small size so looks good and seems to work well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Felixlamb

Dash cam

Post by Felixlamb » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am

I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:35 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
Felix, do you have any pictures of the rear one fitted. Still in discussions with bmw about fitting a rear one :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Chippie

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 am I have a DR750S 2CH and the front is stuck to the left of the rear-view mirror. The rear is stuck right in the top centre of the wind deflector. Has been installed for 2 years now and has never budged.
    I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?

Edit
    The DR750s 2ch was £250 not £350
    Last edited by Chippie on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm
    I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?
    Mick, the BMW dealer sent me this yesterday for rear mounting to see if I was happy if it looked like this but their master tech wasn’t as he said it was too untidy with the wires showing and they wouldn’t let it out the workshop like that on a brand new car so therefore won’t fit it :headbang:
    Attachments
    E2844015-48EC-4072-8D56-4F28371F8CB4.jpeg
    E2844015-48EC-4072-8D56-4F28371F8CB4.jpeg (171.22 KiB) Viewed 582 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Chippie

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm
      Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm
      Mick, the BMW dealer sent me this yesterday for rear mounting to see if I was happy if it looked like this but their master tech wasn’t as he said it was too untidy with the wires showing and they wouldn’t let it out the workshop like that on a brand new car so therefore won’t fit it :headbang:
      Thanks for that Andy
      I don’t think it looks too unsightly, would probably have been better situated on the other side so the wire would have been better hidden by the passenger roll hoop

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:11 pm

Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm
      Chippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 pm I’ve been looking at that, Halfords had it on offer for £350 (if I remember correctly) but it’s currently out of stock, they have the DR750X 2ch also on offer at £303 which I was thinking of buying, I was wondering if the rear one would sit on the shelf behind the roll hoops or would it be too low?
      Thanks for that Andy
      I don’t think it looks too unsightly, would probably have been better situated on the other side so the wire would have been better hidden by the passenger roll hoop
      I don’t either but they’re not prepared to do it. I might suggest the opposite side to try and hide the wire as that’s what the tech had the issue with. If not I’ll speak to both Halfords and the firm I quoted earlier in the thread and see what they say. Would just have been much easier for me to get it fitted before I pick it up.

peng

Dash cam

Post by peng » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm

I installed the Viofo A129 Duo two years ago, front & back. So far has been running like a charm.
        I 3D printed a small stand with carbon PET-G for it, the cable disappears into the small hatch that is just under it. To do that I used a file to create a small notch in the latch. There are no cables visible anywhere.

The stand was needed so that I can still 'look out' when the roof is closed. The stand & rear -cam are kept in place with 3M tape.

Front cam is installed on the right of the mirror (LHD)

Chippie

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:54 am

peng wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm I installed the Viofo A129 Duo two years ago, front & back. So far has been running like a charm.
        I 3D printed a small stand with carbon PET-G for it, the cable disappears into the small hatch that is just under it. To do that I used a file to create a small notch in the latch. There are no cables visible anywhere.

Thank looks like a great solution for the rear camera :thumbsup:

Chippie

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Bugger, Looks like I just missed out on a bargain the price has just gone up overnight from £303 to £379 :headbang:

Felixlamb

Dash cam

Post by Felixlamb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:35 pm
        Felix, do you have any pictures of the rear one fitted. Still in discussions with bmw about fitting a rear one :thumbsup:
        Hey, here you go:
        I never remove the wind deflector so I'm not fussed with it being attached to it:

Wire just goes down behind the seat where it is hidden away, and gets joined by the power wire, which is plugged into the centre console:

Power and rear camera wires get shoved into the plastic covering, and come out and go straight into the seal that runs the whole way up to the top of the A pillar:

Where it comes out, and is immediately shoved up the top of the windscreen:

Which then plugs in to the front camera:

As I said before, it's been there for probably 2 years now and hasn't budged a bit.

Hope this helps.

Felix
        E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Silverstar

Dash cam

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm
        Hey, here you go:
        I never remove the wind deflector so I'm not fussed with it being attached to it:

Wire just goes down behind the seat where it is hidden away, and gets joined by the power wire, which is plugged into the centre console:

Power and rear camera wires get shoved into the plastic covering, and come out and go straight into the seal that runs the whole way up to the top of the A pillar:

As I said before, it's been there for probably 2 years now and hasn't budged a bit.

Hope this helps.

Felix
        If you never remove the wind deflector that mounting point is a good option but all those trailing / exposed wires would do my OCD in! :rofl:
        2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar

Dash cam

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 am

peng wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 pm I installed the Viofo A129 Duo two years ago, front & back. So far has been running like a charm.

The stand was needed so that I can still 'look out' when the roof is closed. The stand & rear -cam are kept in place with 3M tape.

Front cam is installed on the right of the mirror (LHD)

How has your Viofo been performing over the 2 years? I have the A119V3 and after some time I found the camera kept switching on and off all the time. Turns out with time the connection between the camera and the GPS base gets loose and hence the constant switching on and off.

Viofo customer service is great though, they immediately sent me a new camera and GPS base after I sent them a video of what was happening, they wanted the old camera back which was essentially ok if you didn't use the GPS base so I offered to pay them $30 to keep the camera so I could install in my other car which they accepted.

I fitted the new camera to the old GPS base and it worked fine for few months but now I am having the same issue, since they sent me a new GPS base I am going to replace it and see if it solves the problem. But I hope this time it lasts and I don't have an issue just outside of the warranty period!
        2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm
        Hey, here you go:

Hope this helps.

Felix
        Thanks for the pictures Felix, I hadn’t thought about mounting on the wind deflector either. Is it sturdy enough that there’s no image distortion because of vibration?

Zulu4

Dash cam

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am

birdy_z4 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm I’ve just fitted the dash cam below, seems good and a small size so looks good and seems to work well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
          That looks small and neat.
          Are you able to get power from the mirror/courtesy light area, or did you go all the way to the fusebox ?
          2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
          Previous:
          2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.