Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i brake supplier uk

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 am

Hi all!
I’ve just purchased a z4 35i sdrive, I’ve enjoyed it for a few weeks and the front brake light came on as I was driving home from the dealer 250 miles north of me. So I need to replace the pads and discs but can’t seem to find a place to order them in the uk, are discs really likely to cost over £150 a corner?
Could someone give me a recommendation on pads and discs and where to get them in the uk?
Thank you!
Attachments
63BD4EDF-C631-41F6-9081-9B9422A76E23.jpeg
63BD4EDF-C631-41F6-9081-9B9422A76E23.jpeg (280.39 KiB) Viewed 394 times
E89 35i SDrive, White, M sport, Cream leather

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am

Hello and welcome, lovely looking Zed, colour of the wheels really suit the car :thumbsup:

Picture in the first post too

A couple of questions, what has the dealer said about it requiring work so quickly. I’d argue the car wasn’t roadworthy if it needed brakes within 250 miles.

Also why do you think you need to replace the discs, is there something wrong with them as if you’re only going by the warning light that’s just letting you know the pads are now below a certain limit and need replacement.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 07, 2021 9:40 am

I'm with Andy,
    250 miles from a dealer and the brakes are worn to limits?
    I'd be straight on the phone!

Oh, and welcome aboard. Nice looking motor.
    Hard to tell from the photo but are those standard front calipers, just painted up, or are they upgraded ones? If so, make sure you're getting the correct pads.
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am Hello and welcome, lovely looking Zed, colour of the wheels really suit the car

A couple of questions, what has the dealer said about it requiring work so quickly. I’d argue the car wasn’t roadworthy if it needed brakes within 250 miles.

Also why do you think you need to replace the discs, is there something wrong with them as if you’re only going by the warning light that’s just letting you know the pads are now below a certain limit and need replacement.
    Thank you!
    And unfortunately it isn’t a main dealer so it boiled down to, not their problem, I should have checked before purchasing.

Regardless i believe they need doing because they have a lip on them I’d say about a mm but I have no way of measuring them as of now.

Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:40 am Oh, and welcome aboard. Nice looking motor.
    Hard to tell from the photo but are those standard front calipers, just painted up, or are they upgraded ones? If so, make sure you're getting the correct pads
    As far as I’m aware they’re factory, certainly look similar to other pictures I’ve seen and nothing else on the car was modified to suggest the previous owner would have upgraded the brakes.

With my previous mx5 I used to just use euro car parts but they don’t seem to stock pads or discs for a 35i

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 am
    enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:40 am Oh, and welcome aboard. Nice looking motor.
    Hard to tell from the photo but are those standard front calipers, just painted up, or are they upgraded ones? If so, make sure you're getting the correct pads
    As far as I’m aware they’re factory, certainly look similar to other pictures I’ve seen and nothing else on the car was modified to suggest the previous owner would have upgraded the brakes.

With my previous mx5 I used to just use euro car parts but they don’t seem to stock pads or discs for a 35i
    Fair enough then, but I'd still be asking the dealer how he could sell a car with pads that low? It would appear they just saw no lights and thought that'll do, without a real visual check?
    I think I'm right in saying you'll need a new wear sensor too if it's been triggered?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am Fair enough then, but I'd still be asking the dealer how he could sell a car with pads that low? It would appear they just saw no lights and thought that'll do, without a real visual check?
    I think I'm right in saying you'll need a new wear sensor too if it's been triggered?
    Might be worth trying again tbh.
    And yes I’ve got new wear sensors on the way and new pads just concerned about the discs as they have a lip on all four corners, if they need replacing and if so where do people generally order their brake parts from?

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am

Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 am
    enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am Fair enough then, but I'd still be asking the dealer how he could sell a car with pads that low? It would appear they just saw no lights and thought that'll do, without a real visual check?
    Might be worth trying again tbh.
    And yes I’ve got new wear sensors on the way and new pads just concerned about the discs as they have a lip on all four corners, if they need replacing and if so where do people generally order their brake parts from?
    I usually use Eurocarparts or Carparts4less as I can get discount through TopCashBack.
    But if they don't have any then Autodoc is another good bet, but being in Germany you will have to wait a while for delivery.
    Maybe worth popping the wheels off and checking the wear on the pads. The sensors tend to be quite pessimistic, so if you have enough left on them then it would give you time to get discs delivered.
    If you have the cash then maybe change the lot in one go for your peace of mind.

Are you aware of the need to 'wind back' the electric handbrake on the rears?
    Not had to do it yet myself, but I'm sure a search on here will tell you if it's possible manually, and if so how.
    I made sure the code reader I bought could actuate it, but never had to try it out yet.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 am

Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 am Hello and welcome, lovely looking Zed, colour of the wheels really suit the car

Thank you!
    And unfortunately it isn’t a main dealer so it boiled down to, not their problem, I should have checked before purchasing.

Regardless i believe they need doing because they have a lip on them I’d say about a mm but I have no way of measuring them as of now.
    It depends how much you can be bothered pursuing it but I’d definitely not be taking that as an answer. Main dealer or not THEY should’ve checked it and they even have the luxury of doing it via the OBC on your car. If they didn’t pick that up my thoughts are they haven’t been very thorough on their pre-sale check.

If me I’d be phoning them back saying it’s not acceptable for something as vital as brakes needing work on the way back from their premises after pick up and if you don’t get a suitable resolution you’ll be speaking to their local trading standards.

I’d get someone you trust to advise you on the disc replacement. I can’t give you any recommendations as mine hasn’t needed them but I do know I wouldn’t be changing unless required because like you’ve mentioned I don’t think they are cheap!

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Busterboo

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Busterboo » Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am

Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am And unfortunately it isn’t a main dealer so it boiled down to, not their problem, I should have checked before purchasing.
      So, you didn't have this 301 bhp car inspected before you bought it and you drove it 250 miles home with no front brakes.

Mmm.
      Vidi, vici, veni

Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am Are you aware of the need to 'wind back' the electric handbrake on the rears?
      Not had to do it yet myself, but I'm sure a search on here will tell you if it's possible manually, and if so how.
      I made sure the code reader I bought could actuat
      Ahh autodoc have a few options thanks!
      And I’m only gonna do the fronts for now cuz the rears have more life in them, and I did check the fronts and they’re a bit close for my liking and I’m just past when the idrive what’s them replaced but drive it daily so no choice. Tempted to get Zimmerman docs and do them at the same time as they seem decently priced

Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 10:08 am

Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am So, you didn't have this 301 bhp car inspected before you bought it and you drove it 250 miles home with no front brakes.
      It would seem I got caught up in buying a new car and no didn’t check the brakes I guess I just took it for granted the brakes would be good and felt fine on the test drive. Not a mistake I will make again! Plus the spirited driving in subsistent days I’m sure didn’t help the wear :D :D

Dan_ccn

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Dan_ccn » Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 am

Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am I’d get someone you trust to advise you on the disc replacement. I can’t give you any recommendations as mine hasn’t needed them but I do know I wouldn’t be changing unless required because like you’ve mentioned I don’t think they are cheap!
      Think I will, trouble will be The garage is 300 miles north. Will cost me more in fuel and tbh at this point I just wanna get them done and not worry about it.

enuff_zed
      Lifer
      Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 07, 2021 10:17 am

Busterboo wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am
      Dan_ccn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am And unfortunately it isn’t a main dealer so it boiled down to, not their problem, I should have checked before purchasing.
      So, you didn't have this 301 bhp car inspected before you bought it and you drove it 250 miles home with no front brakes.

Mmm.
      Another insightful observation that furthers the cause of the OPs enquiry :roll:

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

35i brake supplier uk

Post by Nictrix » Fri May 07, 2021 10:24 am

If the sensors activating are anything like most other BMWs/Minis there will be thousands of miles left on the pads
      E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)