Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 E89 Engine swap to S65 + subframe etc

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
z4e89sweden

Post by z4e89sweden » Sat May 01, 2021 8:34 am

Hello,

I'm in the start phase of buidling my Z4 E89 to a GT3 S65 4,4 or 5,0 Supercharged
I've recently separated so i have the chassi free and need to change the subframe inte front and back to E92 M3.

Has anyone done it before and know if it's a bolt on match or it needs modification to put front and rear sub on.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat May 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Are you just putting the race engine in it, or full body conversion?

Sounds like a fun project!

z4e89sweden

Post by z4e89sweden » Sun May 02, 2021 7:35 am

full body conversion, with the bodykit, if you change engine here in Sweden, you need to change brakes, front and rear axle, and the gearbox to get it street legal.

Yes it's either doing it and get a unique car or have a 997 porsche for 50-60k euro (like everyone else :D )

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun May 02, 2021 8:49 am

Fair play for going all out. Good luck with the build :thumbsup:
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sun May 02, 2021 9:50 am

I have absolutely no helpful advice whatsoever, but I'd love to see the finished article. The E89 GT3 is one of the all time greats.

Good luck :thumbsup:
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun May 02, 2021 2:15 pm

I think changing the subframe will be very difficult and I also doubt it will be safe.
The rear subframe is very different (the e89 uses basically a rear X3 carrier which is a slight adaptation of the e46/e85 setup; the e93 is next gen and completely different partswise and setup wise) . That would result in chopping up the monocoque and welding in new structures and bosses to fit the subframe. I can't see how that is safer than using an existing subframe with its existing (tested) mounting points.

Swapping out the gearbox is probably simpel. They are basically the same. Different partnumbers sure and maybe the mounting surface to the engine is different (so you might need the actual m3 gearbox) but I think sizewise they're the same (so probably no fitment issues in the transmission tunnel.
For the propshaft something custom has to be made I think.

Everything is possible but it wont be cheap. This will cost a lot of man hours.
And I also wonder why. I mean I get the thrill of having a V8 or V10, but the n54 is a fantastic tuning platform. With very little modifications (I think for about €3k you can get the n54 up to about 600hp with street drivability and reliability) you can get the power of a supercharged s65.

So my advice would be: tune the n54 (uprated turbo's/intercooler/downpipe) fit an LSD and maybe install a BBK front/rear.
Will be just as fast, more reliable, more serviceable and about 10 times as cheap. (I guess tuning the n54 to 600hp will be about as cheap as getting just a custom propshaft)
I cant see modding the monocoque to neatly and safely fit the rear axle as an install and fitting the s65 with all the coding etc etc costing less than €30k. I also wonder if you'll ever get it really street legal, my guess it'll be a very long process.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

z4e89sweden

Post by z4e89sweden » Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Thank for the good lucks.

I'm aiming to get the S65 with VF supercharger kit aroung 600-650 hp, and the stroker kit from VAC.

@Guidok.

I have check the frames today and i'm going with the E46 rear sub and E92 front sub and will see if i can make a secure fit for it.

I agree on the gearbox, the DCT gearbokx is actually the same in the most 335 e9x and 8x (and proabably more cars)

To answer the question why, is because i can. (not ironic) Why have a Porsche when u can have your own uniqe car?

I've already almost maxed out the N54 engine.
The specs today is a long list.
Öhlins R&T, Wagner IC, Pure Turbos, New inlet, outlets, cut-outs. new mapping, quaife diff, new oil-cooler, dodson gearpox, burger oilpan. ,supersprint downpipe, race cat. etc etc, i belive i already have around 600hp and if i want to more if i put E85 in the tank. etc etc.

So yes, it's a really good engine, but is not a V8 like the GT3, and if of course i can put the GT3 kit on and say hey it's a GT3 but without the V8 it's just a bodykit. I've seen many people put the kit on but i dosen't feel the same :)

The one thing that i totally agree with you is that it's going to cost , and take a while to finish. But i will get you updated on the journey

Thanks for the reply.
:thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 pm

Well firstly welcome to the forum!

This sounds like a fantastic, if possibly challenging, project so I wish you all the best with it. :thumbsup:

And I hope you post some updates of your progress.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm

z4e89sweden wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm and take a while to finish. But i will get you updated on the journey
Welcome and good luck with the mods e89Sweden! PM me if you want to sell any parts, ie pure turbos, quaiffe LSD etc, thanks...