Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Open Source iDrive Software?????

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
GELewis

Post by GELewis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:52 pm

I've been trying to add a backup camera that will display on the iDrive screen in my 2009 Z4. Despite help from the tech staff from the manufacturer of the unit, I cannot get the system to work. I'm beginning to suspect the problem is the existing iDrive software installed on the vehicle. There is no "update" option anywhere in the menu system, and the "About this Software" contains several references to it being "Thai open source software". I'm wondering if this is non-BMW software that the prior owner uploaded into the system. I'm attaching a screen shot in the hope that someone can identify the software and give me an idea how to replace it with the latest version of BMW's iDrive software.
Attachments
IMG_2318.jpeg
IMG_2318.jpeg (69.28 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:58 pm

In advance - the below is based off my experience with an E90 with the CIC system. I doubt it's any different for the E89, but I don't have one, so...

Your looking in the wrong place - the "about" bit will be where the various licences for all the technologies/libraries the system is using will be dumped, it's like this for lots of commercial software and doesn't mean anything.

Although you can "update" the CIC system via USB, it doesn't actually update the thinks you'd expect - it just changes how it handles media slightly.

To update the actual software you need to use dealer-level diagnostic tools - e.g. ICOM.
It's not DIY unless you have experience with BMW diagnostic tools.

What reversing camera setup are you using?
Have you seen this - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301 ?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 am

I'd agree entierly with Jakg above.

I've found no guaranteed way to activate the reverse camera function with the E89 iDrive system. In theroy it should work but this is something i've not got around to trying yet. Alternatively I do have it working with my MMI box add-on that also gives me Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. This is a plug-n-play box that requires no coding to work.
Attachments
20201215_083057.jpg
20201215_083057.jpg (107.79 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q