Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW service schedules details please

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Hello,
Does anyone have the official BMW service schedules for the inspection 1 and 2 and any other major schedules for the e89 (all models) please? I need the items that are addressed at each service, specifically anything to do with the folding roof. The reason for this will become clear later.
Many thanks in advance :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm

As far as I know the roof isnt in any part of the service schedule other than the usual "check the operation of"
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:16 pm

Very basic;
https://www.bmwofcincinnatinorth.com/bm ... hedule.htm
But i wouldn't follow it.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm As far as I know the roof isnt in any part of the service schedule other than the usual "check the operation of"
Thanks. My thoughts too, but I need something "official". I'm hoping that someone like Rob (Smartbear) might have this type of info squirrelled away somewhere.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:25 pm

Have you not got the service book?
Having said that it doesn't give any mileage or times, just looked. Generic for all BMW's.
Most are condition based, usual stuff.
Just out of interest my cars official service from new was at 2 years 21,570 miles.
I'm assuming the oil probably didn't get changed before that, bonkers.
Last edited by flybobbie on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:31 pm

I could just ring a couple of dealerships and ask, but I don't want to do that at the moment. I know it sounds mysterious but it isn't, honest :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:31 pm I could just ring a couple of dealerships and ask, but I don't want to do that at the moment. I know it sounds mysterious but it isn't, honest :thumbsup:
I bet it just a standard list of items, all cars the same really. Roof, you might be lucky if someone actual checked the fluid.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm

It’s covered in TIS relevant sections are

Maintenance work E89

Situation:
The published CBS service intervals are taken over for the Z4 (E89).
Vehicles concerned:
E89
Procedure:
Intervals as stated below refer only to the ECE basic interval.

Country specific deviations may apply. For countries with lower-quality fuel grades, comply with the country-specific intervals.

Change engine oil approximately every 30,000 km/24 months.

Microfilter:

Renew at every engine oil change (approx. 30,000 km).

Air filter:

Renew at every 2nd engine oil change (approx. 60,000 km).

Spark plugs:

Renew at every 2nd engine oil change (approx. 60,000 km).

Carry out vehicle check every 60,000 km (48 months).

Carry out maintenance work as described in ISTA and Commercial Service Data.

And

Service - vehicle check
Passenger compartment:
Check horn, headlight flashers and hazard warning flashers
Check instrument and inscription lighting, passenger compartment and glovebox lighting, blower
Check lighting system: if necessary, charge separately to adjust the headlights, function of front/rear and vehicle number plate lighting
Seat belts: Condition of seat belt strap, check function of automatic reel, check seat belt locking reel, seat belt buckle, seat belt clip and, if necessary, seat belt clasp for damage
Check windscreen wiper and washer system for function and setting
Convertible only:
Activate the rollover protection system manually. Note: Open the soft top prior to the triggering process!
Rear/body/tyres:
Battery: Check display (magic eye), recharge if necessary (charged separately)
Check tyres (incl. compact spare wheel if present):
Tread depth
Tread wear pattern
External condition
Check inflation pressure and correct if necessary.
Observe the notes on tolerance compensation for RDC.
If fitted:
BMW Mobility System: Check expiry date on sealant bottle. Replace sealant bottle if necessary (charge separately).
Check that warning triangle, high-visibility jacket and first-aid kit are present. Check expiry date on first-aid kit (observe national legislation where applicable).
Initialise Run Flat Indicator or tyre pressure control
Engine compartment:
Check coolant level and concentration, top up if necessary. Inform customer in event of incorrect fluid level and, if necessary, troubleshoot (charged separately).
Window glass and headlight cleaning system: checking fluid level, topping up if necessary
If fitted:
Steering fluid reservoir: Check oil level, top up if necessary. Inform customer in event of incorrect fluid level and, if necessary, troubleshoot (charged separately).
Underfloor:
Brake lines and connections: Check for tightness, damage, mounting and correct position
Vehicle underbody including all visible components: Check for damage, correct position, tightness and corrosion
Steering components: Check for play, tightness is applicable, damage and wear
Test drive:
Check for road safety:
Brakes
Steering
Shock Absorbers
Transmission
Reset CBS display according to factory specification

And

Introduction
The scope of maintenance work has been redefined for the Condition Based Service (CBS).

This new configuration relates to all series with CBS, although at different points in time.

Those points in time are based on the model revision or the series launch. These modifications are described on the example of the BMW 1-Series and the BMW 3-Series. The introduction date is 03/2007 (E93 12/2006).

The following maintenance tasks will be deleted in the future as part of CBS or coupled with other service functions:

Microfilter
Spark plugs
Diesel particulate filter
Exhaust-gas test

(change through encoding since 09/2006)

The applicable text passages are marked as follows in this BMW Service Technology: *depending on the model revision or series launch*.

Vehicles produced before the change are not affected.

Note: The scope of maintenance work for microfilter and spark plug are now linked to the scope for the engine oil! The exhaust-gas test can now be enabled again using the diagnosis system!

Concept of Condition Based Service (CBS):

Continuous developments in networking within the vehicle are constantly offering new ways in which the vehicle can communicate with the environment. This is becoming more and more beneficial for after-sales service. The Connected Service consists of several modules and provides new opportunities: from the automatic, vehicle-specific recording of service requirements to the optimisation of the customer reception process. This satisfies the expectations of even the most demanding of customers:

Precise date scheduling through distance-based or time-based interval forecasts for control units subject to wear
Early recognition of problems
Flexible service
Individual advice and customer care (with visualisation of the CBS data in the ”Service reception” module)
One module in the ConnectedService is the demand-based service: Condition Based Service (CBS). The fourth edition of CBS is now available in the 1-Series and 3-Series BMW (development series, e.g. E87 and E90).[System overview ...]

The scope of maintenance work is calculated and displayed from the remaining distance and/or the absolute limit-of-service date. This calculation incorporates an interval forecast which reflects the driving profile. With these flexible service intervals, the last service interval is used to define a new starting value.

CBS data are stored in the remote control (= key) or in the ID transmitter (with Comfort Access) while the vehicle is being driven. The service advisor can then read the CBS data using the KeyReader. With the Service Acceptance Module (SAM), the CBS data are displayed. After finalising the service measures, the order-specific service sheet can be printed off from the SAM.

Brief component description
The Condition Based Service is a system function distributed over several control units in the vehicle.

Instrument panel control unit

The instrument panel is the central unit. The CBS data for the full scope of maintenance work is stored in the instrument panel. The information from the connected control units and information to be managed internally flow together into the instrument panel (evaluation by traffic-light colours).

In the instrument panel the service requirement indicator appears for approximately 6 seconds at terminal 15 ON.

The service requirement indicator shows the overall status of the vehicle in connection with the CBS.

Detailed information on the full scope of maintenance work can also be requested manually. The display can be called up in either the instrument panel or the Central Information Display (if available).

The following target dates can be input in the instrument panel:

Statutory vehicle inspection
Statutory emissions test

*depending on the model revision or series launch*

A maintenance operation can be reset using the reset button for the trip distance recorder.

The instrument panel initialises an automatic ServiceCall when a maintenance operation is due (TeleService 1 at BMW Assist telematics service centre).

[more ...]

Central information display

When a Central Information Display (CID) is installed, detailed information can be called up in the "Service" menu (in the 5th menu, "Settings") on the scope of maintenance work of the CBS.

In addition the following target dates can be input in the same menu:

Statutory emissions test

A manual ServiceCall can also be triggered at the CID.

[more ...]

Remote control or identification signal

The CBS data is stored in both the remote control and the identification signal unit.

The CBS data can be read out with the KeyReader in the Service Centre.

The CBS data is displayed by the Service Acceptance Module (SAM).

An identification signal unit is used for vehicles with Comfort Access.

[more ...]

For the Condition Based Service (CBS), information is exchanged with the following control units:

CAS: Car Access System

From the CAS control unit, under certain conditions, the CBS data in the remote control or in the identification signal unit is updated (see key data Enclosure).

The CBS data is stored in the instrument panel and, once redundant, in the CAS control unit. If the CAS control unit and the instrument panel are replaced at the same time, the CBS data administered by the instrument panel will then be lost. The data is delivered to the K-CAN.

DME or DDE: Digital Motor Electronics or Digital Diesel Electronics

Maintenance requirements for the engine oil is calculated in the DME control unit or DDE control unit (maintenance requirements = remaining distance and latest date for the engine oil change). The most important input value here is the fuel consumption.

The instrument panel contains the data as follows:

DME control unit or DDE control unit -> PT-CAN -> Junction box electronics (gateway)-> K-CAN -> KOMBI

On diesel engines, the DDE control unit calculates the maintenance requirements for the diesel particle filter.

IHKA/IHKR/IHR: Integrated automatic heating/air-conditioning system, integrated heating/air-conditioning system, integrated heating system

The maintenance requirements for the microfilter are calculated in the control unit for the heating and air conditioning system (maintenance requirements = remaining distance and latest date for the microfilter change).

The scope of maintenance work is calculated by the control unit from various values.

Control unit for the heating and air conditioning system -> K-CAN -> KOMBI

: Dynamic stability control

The remaining distances for the front and rear brake pads are calculated separately in the DSC control unit. When making the calculation, the condition of the brake pad wear sensors is taken into account (data point at 6 mm and 4 mm).

DME control unit -> PT-CAN -> Junction box electronics (gateway) -> K-CAN -> KOMBI

Important: Replace brake pad wear sensors before resetting.

JBE: Junction Box Electronics

The junction box electronics is the gateway between the PT-CAN and the K-CAN. Moreover, the diagnosis cable is connected to the junction box electronics (see Service functions).

CA: Comfort access

For vehicles with Comfort Access:

Under certain conditions the CBS data is saved on the identification signal unit. For this to happen, the identification signal unit should not be in the insert compartment. The CA control unit transfers the data via the interior aerial (radio).

TCU or ULF: Telematics control unit or universal charger and hands-free system

The control unit for the telephone is needed for the automatic or manual ServiceCall (TeleService 2 at the telematics service BMW Assist). The ServiceCall is initiated by the instrument panel.

The TCU or ULF (universal charger/hands-free system) receives the data as follows:

KOMBI -> K-CAN -> CCC or M-ASK (gateway) -> MOST -> TCU or ULF

System functions
Multiple maintenance operations are implemented with the Condition Based Service:

Engine oil
Diesel particle filter (either as standard or option)

Microfilter

Brake pads, front
Brake pads, rear
Spark plugs

Vehicle check
Brake fluid
Statutory emissions test

Pre-delivery check (service function)
For clarity, the maintenance operations with its intervals is shown first (valid for EURO vehicles).

In some countries, certain items may vary, e.g. the values for engine oil or spark plugs.

Note: Starting values for the service intervals
The current starting values for the service intervals can be found in the "Maintenance and general notes" documentation that is included in the repair literature.

Important! The reference time for time-dependent maintenance operations is the on-board date.
The on-board date is used for the display of escalation (green symbol, yellow symbol, red symbol). Furthermore, the on-board date serves as the basis to sort the maintenance operations in the display. The on-board date stops when the battery is flat or disconnected and must then be corrected in the vehicle. The on-board date must be correctly set before resetting the maintenance operations. Resetting is described in the general service information.

Engine oil

The determination of the correct time for a DME/DDE oil change depends on various values:

Fuel consumption

The quantity of fuel used since the last oil change is recorded as an auxiliary quantity for evaluating the quality of the oil.

Time

Once in place, the oil will deteriorate with age. The calculation for the oil change determines the latest date by which the oil must be changed. The reference time is the on-board date.

An oil change is due after 24 months at the latest.

The ”engine oil” interval is flexible and dependent on the operating conditions. When resetting, the last value of the interval forecast is taken as the starting value for the new interval.

Special case: A defective oil level sensor will affect the display.

Diesel particle filter (either as standard or option)

The distance-dependent interval for the diesel particle filter is calculated by the DDE control unit.

The starting value is calculated linearly up to 100,000 km. Above 100,000 km, the DDE control unit makes an adaptive calculation based on the exhaust-gas back-pressure.

With increasing mileage, the exhaust-gas back-pressure in the diesel particle filter increases. The exhaust-gas back-pressure is recorded by the exhaust back-pressure sensor.

The ”diesel particle filter” interval is flexible and dependent on the operating conditions.

When resetting, the last value of the interval forecast is taken as the starting value for the new interval.

Microfilter

The condition of the microfilter is calculated by the control unit for the heating and air conditioning system using the following variables (= virtual sensor):

Ambient temperature
Wiper operation
Useful life of the heater
Air recirculation function
Driving speed
Fan speed
Distance driven since the last filter change
Time

A filter change is due after 24 months at the latest.

The ”microfilter” interval is flexible and dependent on the operating conditions. When resetting, the last value of the interval forecast is taken as the starting value for the new interval.

Important! Maintenance needed after resetting the microfilter.
After resetting the "microfilter" element of the maintenance work, the battery must not be disconnected immediately. Wait until the vehicle has gone into sleep mode.

Front and rear brake pads

The condition of the brake pad is determined by the DSC control unit. The calculation is based on a signal from the brake pad wear sensors at 2 points (4 mm and 6 mm).

The condition of the brake pad is determined with the help of the following input values:

Wheel speed
Braking pressure (determined by the open duration of the exhaust valve)
Temperature of the brake disc (determined via a computer model consisting of wheel speed, brake pressure, ambient temperature, braking duration)
Brakes service life
The ”brake pad” interval is flexible and dependent on the operating conditions. When the interval is reset, the last value for the interval forecast is set as the starting value for the new interval (only if new brake pads are recognised by intact Brake pad wear sensors).

Spark plugs

The distance-dependent interval for the spark plugs is managed in the instrument panel (60,000 or 100,000 km, depending on the engine).

Vehicle check

The distance-dependent and time-dependent interval for the vehicle check is managed in the instrument panel (48 months and DME: 50,000 km, DDE: 60,000 km).

Brake fluid

The time-dependent interval for the vehicle check is managed in the instrument panel (24 months).

The reference time for the assessment is the on-board date.

The interval for the vehicle inspection is specified by the law of the country in which the vehicle is driven.

The target date is entered in the instrument panel or in the Central Information Display (CID). The reference time is the on-board date. If the on-board date is wrongly set, this only affects the escalation level (green, yellow, red).

Statutory emissions test

The interval for the exhaust gas inspection is specified by the law of the country in which the vehicle is driven.

The target date is entered in the instrument panel or in the Central Information Display (CID).

The reference time is the on-board date. If the on-board date is wrongly set, this only affects the escalation level (green, yellow, red).

Enjoy

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pmEnjoy
Thanks Pete. I will take the day off to read it tomorrow:thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 pm
Pbondar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pmEnjoy
Thanks Pete. I will take the day off to read it tomorrow:thumbsup:
Sometimes apparently simple questions have complex answers... :tumbleweed:

I saved you the hard work..there is no reference anywhere to routine E89 roof maintenance... :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:38 pm

Servicing of cars these days goes against what you think looking after a car is.
If you want to look after your car get it serviced the way you want and not what the car asks for.
I remember the last time our old car went to a dealer for a service, we wanted the plugs changed and had to almost argue with the service desk to changed them as they said they didnt need to be changed. Whats wrong with preventive maintenance?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 pm I saved you the hard work..there is no reference anywhere to routine E89 roof maintenance.
You're too good to me! Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:46 pm

This thread is all to do with potential warranty claims, which may (or may not) be allied to servicing schedules; hence the question. If no servicing to the relevant parts is called for under their official regime, I don't see they have a leg to stand on. It's all about research at present.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:24 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm
Country specific deviations may apply.
I won't quote the full War and Peace but, this part probably is key.

I have the service history for my car which includes service/inspection and oil change obviously. A couple of messages have recently appeared for those points, 1 year and approx 2500 miles after the last. As my warranty has expired I do not fancy getting reamed at the dealer, so I will change the oil elsewhere. Until now it had annual oil and filter changes, currently on 19000 miles. A little excessive maybe but I think original owner may have bought an oil change package?? (8KL Oelserviceint. 15.000km/12months)

Quick question, 20i oil capacity is 5 litres? Another titbit not mentioned in the manual.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:11 am

Roddy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:24 am
Pbondar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm
Country specific deviations may apply.
I won't quote the full War and Peace but, this part probably is key.

I have the service history for my car which includes service/inspection and oil change obviously. A couple of messages have recently appeared for those points, 1 year and approx 2500 miles after the last. As my warranty has expired I do not fancy getting reamed at the dealer, so I will change the oil elsewhere. Until now it had annual oil and filter changes, currently on 19000 miles. A little excessive maybe but I think original owner may have bought an oil change package?? (8KL Oelserviceint. 15.000km/12months)

Quick question, 20i oil capacity is 5 litres? Another titbit not mentioned in the manual.
Yup N20 non x drive engines are 5 litres :thumbsup: