Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hazards under heavy braking

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mnz

Post by Mnz » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:39 am

Hi All,

Recently I purchased a 35is from a fellow forum member. Under heavy braking the hazard lights are automatically coming on.

Is there anyway of stopping this from happening? Apart from obviously not braking as hard.

Thanks

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:58 am

Think this is an EU law and all cars from a certain year onwards will have the same function - not much you can do about I am afraid.

Not certain if this is even part of the MOT?
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:05 am

Unless you're driving on a track, isn't it in your interest for cars behind you to have a warning that you've just stamped on the break pedal as hard as you can for some reason? I'd rather that than other motorists regularly ploughing into the back of me....
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:29 am

It can be coded out with products like Carly and Bimmergeeks Protool..therefore I assume the standard BMW tools will do it :thumbsup:

You can code the various rear light assemblies to do various things under emergency breaking and hard breaking :thumbsup:

Baffling array of options..I messed around with mine..in the end restored it to the OE settings which includes hazard flashers under very hard breaking .. :tumbleweed:

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 am

Mnz wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:39 am

Is there anyway of stopping this from happening?
Why would you want to? Someone obviously thought it is a safety feature

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 am

Hello and welcome, I agree with above, it’s a good safety option to let others know you’re braking hard as the brakes on a 35iS will pull you up quicker than a lot of other cars so as much notice to anyone behind you that you’re slowing at a considerable rate is a plus :thumbsup:

I do have to ask right enough how hard were you braking? I didn’t even know this was a function/feature until I read your post.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 am

I have had this happen once and it was under very very hard emergency braking.
    If this is happening all the time you may want to rethink how you drive.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 am

Nictrix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 am I have had this happen once and it was under very very hard emergency braking.
    If this is happening all the time you may want to rethink how you drive.
    Have to agree with this, this has only happened to me once when the car in-front stopped dead on the outside lane of a motorway.

I hit the brakes so hard I thought the pedal would come off.

Luckily for me, the car performed well and stopped short.
    The hazards were on afterwards. I believe it may also flash the fogs under very hard braking.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94768&start=15

There may be some different settings which can be coded, at which speed the brake force display is active etc, but it is probably safer to just not need to be braking so hard, unless you are doing track with it.

Mnz

Post by Mnz » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:20 pm

Thank you all,

@pbonder - I think i've got a Carly lying around. I'll give it a try.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Mnz wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:20 pm Thank you all,

@pbonder - I think i've got a Carly lying around. I'll give it a try.
    No worries just make sure you note what the original config was in case you mess it up..don’t ask me how I know :tumbleweed: