Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Vanos

"M" Specific discussion
sharif

Z4M Vanos

Post by sharif » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:05 pm

Evening all,

My 2006 MC has recently just ticked over 79,000 miles. I had the rod bearings replaced about 2,000 miles ago as preventative maintenance.

I am trying to ensure that the car is mechanically sound and whilst the vanos may not require upgrading now, I'd like to get it done now for peace of mind.

I note that a number of companies offer upgrade services and I just wanted to get feedback from anyone that has had their vanos upgraded and where is recommended to get this done.

I'm based in North London but am happy to travel a few hours if required.

A list of companies I've researched that are able to do this are as follows:-

Mr Vanos - He also advised he would replace the timing chain at the same time (although no other companies I have contacted have proposed to do this). Is the timing chain necessary to replace?

CPCPE

Redish

Hack Engineering

Everything M3s

I've read mixed reviews regarding the first three of the above list but very positive reviews for the others.

I have also read that upgrading with Beisan components is highly recommended so will most likely go for that.

I would be grateful to hear of any forum members experiences in having their Vanos rebuilt, whether they replaced the timing chain and which company to go for.

Many thanks
Last edited by sharif on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current - Edition 30 Golf GTi

Previous - Z4MC

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Vanos

Post by GuidoK » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 pm

I think you should make a list of the specific problems the s54 vanos can have and see if those companies address all those problems specifically.
Because "vanos upgrade" and "vanos rebuild" are pretty generic if they don't specifically say what they're gonna do.

So without being an expert on the s54 vanos, these things pop into my mind to address (that is: inspect, and if broken, replace, and potentially upgrade with other parts):

1. check vanos oil pump hub on broken tabs; maybe replace pump disc for aftermarket one with smaller holes (less play), or replace vanos hub for one with stronger tabs (if there is a broken tab, it's hard to miss when the vanos is taken off :lol: )
2. check/replace vanos sprocket bolts.
3. check/replace left upper chain guide
4. obviously change all the seals/orings. I assume they do everything including the pressure regulator&restrictor.

Maybe others have more ideas that they can add to this list.

I assume that the shops above are all familiar with these problems, but sometimes shops have the attitude that they only do what they initially offered and are paid for (so service a was offered but service b is required)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

sharif

Z4M Vanos

Post by sharif » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Many thanks for the above.

I have received the following spec from Hack Engineering:-

Beisan Systems BS021 S54 Vanos Seals Repair Kit
Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Rattle Repair Kit (BS022)
Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Rebuilt Solenoid Coil Pack (BS023)
Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit (BS024)
S54 Vanos Oil Pump Disc Machining
Beisan Systems S54 Exhaust Upper Chain Guide
Updated Cam Sprocket Sleeve Bolts (S54) (07129905536)
Cam Sprocket Hub Bolts (S54) (07119913589)
Updated Vanos Solenoid Pack Securing Bolts (S54) (07129905554/37)
S54 Vanos Microfilter (11361401971)
Elring Vanos Gasket - steel (S54)
Rocker Cover Stud Grommets (S54) (11121437395)Rocker Cover Oil Drain Pipe Crush Washers (S54)(07119963129)
Vanos Oil Accumulator Pipe Crush Washers (07119963072)
Crankshaft Chain Tensioner Oil Seal (most BMW inc S14, S50, S54) (07119963418)
Sealing ring ( 07119963342)
Ultrasonic parts cleaning

I did also just speak with Everything M3s who are going to send a proposal over shortly.

I will keep this updated on how I get on.
Current - Edition 30 Golf GTi

Previous - Z4MC

Z4FouruM

Z4M Vanos

Post by Z4FouruM » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm

I would highly recommend Redish having used them for a large project on my convertible in November. Their attention to detail is second-to-none and customer experience is really excellent with full video diaries of all the work that is being carried out. They know the S54 inside out. I had my rod bearings done in November and alongside a routine service they will investigate a slight oil leak around my vanos for me later this year which potentially needs servicing anyway.

TomK

Z4M Vanos

Post by TomK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:32 pm

I'm very much in the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camp. You'd be pretty unlucky to cause serious damage if it does fail, and usually (sheared bolts perhaps) aside you'll start to hear it go. I just test mine in inpa every once in a while.
Your choice of course! I'm sure any of those you have mentioned can rebuild it, it's not the most difficult of DIYs should you chose to do it yourself.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

abar121

Z4M Vanos

Post by abar121 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:04 pm

TomK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:32 pm I'm very much in the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camp. You'd be pretty unlucky to cause serious damage if it does fail, and usually (sheared bolts perhaps) aside you'll start to hear it go. I just test mine in inpa every once in a while.
Your choice of course! I'm sure any of those you have mentioned can rebuild it, it's not the most difficult of DIYs should you chose to do it yourself.
Exactly. I also ran the INPA vanos tests a few years ago, everything was great.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

XMetal

Z4M Vanos

Post by XMetal » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm

sharif wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:51 pm Many thanks for the above.

I have received the following spec from Hack Engineering:-

Beisan Systems BS021 S54 Vanos Seals Repair Kit
Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Rattle Repair Kit (BS022)
Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Rebuilt Solenoid Coil Pack (BS023)
Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit (BS024)
S54 Vanos Oil Pump Disc Machining
Beisan Systems S54 Exhaust Upper Chain Guide
Updated Cam Sprocket Sleeve Bolts (S54) (07129905536)
Cam Sprocket Hub Bolts (S54) (07119913589)
Updated Vanos Solenoid Pack Securing Bolts (S54) (07129905554/37)
S54 Vanos Microfilter (11361401971)
Elring Vanos Gasket - steel (S54)
Rocker Cover Stud Grommets (S54) (11121437395)Rocker Cover Oil Drain Pipe Crush Washers (S54)(07119963129)
Vanos Oil Accumulator Pipe Crush Washers (07119963072)
Crankshaft Chain Tensioner Oil Seal (most BMW inc S14, S50, S54) (07119963418)
Sealing ring ( 07119963342)
Ultrasonic parts cleaning

I did also just speak with Everything M3s who are going to send a proposal over shortly.

I will keep this updated on how I get on.
I did everything above except the "Beisan Systems S54 Vanos Rebuilt Solenoid Coil Pack (BS023)", which can be replaced when it fails since you can access it pretty easily. The engine is as smooth and quiet as a sewing machine now - no more "marble in a can" rattles at around 2.8k RPM!

TomK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:32 pm I'm very much in the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camp. You'd be pretty unlucky to cause serious damage if it does fail, and usually (sheared bolts perhaps) aside you'll start to hear it go. I just test mine in inpa every once in a while.
INPA can't detect if you got 1 broken tab and/or if the 2nd tab is about to break. INPA can't detect if you got a Upper Chain Guide tip that's about to break off and could get dislodge into unwanted places at the very best. My Exhaust Upper Chain Guide had rubbed through and is about to break at about 46k miles. While I do agree, to some degree, that 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', I usually applies that mantra only to things that won't end catastrophically if it does break.

philipw

Z4M Vanos

Post by philipw » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:48 pm

I have to agree with TomK, after getting it done on mine, I found out that it was unnecessary. Redish rebuilt the Vanos last year with the car on 100K for preventative maintenance, it had no detrimental symptoms at the time. Did everything barring the solenoid as it was fine and is a simple bolt on/off job should it fail.

I have all of the parts that were replaced, seals were flattened as is to be expected but they had not failed. All of the tabs/cam bolts were fine but were replaced along with the resized oil pump disc as preventative maintenance. No damage to the plastic tensioner except for a visible mark where the chain made contact but replaced it with the ABS variant as it was cheap to do.

After the work, I could not detect a change in engine noise at tick over but certainly wasn't any louder and I think the engine is more responsive below 3K but not a massive difference. I guess the above means that some cars wear the Vanos system greater than others. I just wanted peace of mind so got it done.
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

TomK

Z4M Vanos

Post by TomK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:38 pm

XMetal wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm While I do agree, to some degree, that 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', I usually applies that mantra only to things that won't end catastrophically if it does break.
Likewise, which is why I'm about to have my rod bearings done for the 2nd time in my ownership.
I'm all for learning, can you point me to a documented case of where Vanos failure has caused an s54 to grenade?
FWIW my car has around 80k miles, 30k or so on track maybe. Sounds the same as when I got it :?
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Vanos

Post by GuidoK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 pm

I know of one person that had a broken vanos hub tab once. Didn't hear a thing, never drove the car hard. Was discovered during a vanos service.
How can you diagnose such an issue with inpa?
I also know of people with sheared and worn chain sprocket bolts. Also never noticed a thing.
These are known issues. point is, it's not easily detected or known when it happens. It's just one of those things. Maybe aftermarket parts really do address the issue (this is sometimes very difficult to proove) and just hope for the best :D

I also assume the cylinder head cover goes off. Maybe a good time to also check the valve clearance and check the camshaft and followers for wear.
Maybe ad that service to the list?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

TomK

Z4M Vanos

Post by TomK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 pm

I know of one person that had a broken vanos hub tab once. Didn't hear a thing, never drove the car hard. Was discovered during a vanos service.
How can you diagnose such an issue with inpa?
I'm not saying that you can. Did it damage his engine?

TomK

Z4M Vanos

Post by TomK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:58 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 pm I also assume the cylinder head cover goes off. Maybe a good time to also check the valve clearance and check the camshaft and followers for wear.
Indeed it does, it's fairly easy to inspect the tabs when doing the valve clearances

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Vanos

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 am

TomK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:38 pm
XMetal wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm While I do agree, to some degree, that 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', I usually applies that mantra only to things that won't end catastrophically if it does break.
Likewise, which is why I'm about to have my rod bearings done for the 2nd time in my ownership.
I'm all for learning, can you point me to a documented case of where Vanos failure has caused an s54 to grenade?
FWIW my car has around 80k miles, 30k or so on track maybe. Sounds the same as when I got it :?
Tom, I’ll be very interested to know the condition of your bearing shells. Mine has covered similar miles both in total and on track. I changed mine last at 50k and the originals were in very good condition. However, my ratio of track to road miles has increased since then.
I’ve not serviced the vanos and I’ve not noticed any abnormal noises or change in the way it drives.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Z4M Vanos

Post by GuidoK » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:25 pm

TomK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 pm
I'm not saying that you can. Did it damage his engine?
No that broken tap just sat in the corresponding hole of the oil pump disc. The picture he showed (on another forum) sadly isn't online anymore (it has been a while)
Luckily it also didnt fall into the sump while taking off. So kudos for that mechanic.
BTW he had his vanos refurbished because a friend of his with a z4m showed him this pic:

TomK

Z4M Vanos

Post by TomK » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:18 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:25 pm No that broken tap just sat in the corresponding hole of the oil pump disc. The picture he showed (on another forum) sadly isn't online anymore (it has been a while)
Luckily it also didnt fall into the sump while taking off. So kudos for that mechanic.
BTW he had his vanos refurbished because a friend of his with a z4m showed him this pic:
I'd agree checking the bolts is probably not a bad idea, but did that guy's engine survive?
I'm not sure but I think pre 2007 z4m s54 used a different kind of bolt, it was superseded with a torx head style, obviosuly I can't tell from that phot which type those are.
Mr Vanos wrote:There are 6 per cam and if they fail then the engine would be destroyed.
I'm not really sure that statement is true, but then he does want to sell his services!
BMWZ4MC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 am Tom, I’ll be very interested to know the condition of your bearing shells.
Yes, me too, I'll post them up when they're done, I think I'll get them done this winter.