Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is this a normal bumper to bonnet gap?

"M" Specific discussion
Babw

Post by Babw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:00 pm

XMetal wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 pm
Babw wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:03 pm As normal I had to take it a step further and order the clips that attach to the wings and the bumper clips into.

Anyone have an easy way to remove the old ones? I don't fancy using a dremel, tin snips etc.
Unfortunately, I have to resort to all types of tools to take these suckers out. Ended up coming out in pieces :cry:
Am I being dense or if you take the wheel off, remove some of the wheel arch fasteners, can you not just undo the clips in the back of the wing and remove the brackets this way?

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:08 pm

I did it about 10 years ago, so my memory doesn't serve me at the moment. Since I already had my bumper cover off at this point, I must have tried accessing the rear of the clip if it was possible. If you google this, you'll find that many others have tried and came to the same conclusion of the thing coming out in pieces.

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Everything is movable, so after 15 years most have been repainted etc and people just dont put the time&effort to align things the way BMW did.
The headlamps alone can be freely moved in ANY direction. No wonder people today may think all E86 had crazy panel gaps.

In your case, I wonder if the bonnet was off the car?
In that case a lazy mech would just put it in place and bolt it up, and the weight of it would place it at the rear end adjustment = big gap to bumper. That looks ok tho?

Also the bumper is not centered compared to the fenders/bonnet. Could be also the headlamps are skewed.

1 thing to do, loosen bolts, adjust.
Last edited by Argenta on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babw

Post by Babw » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm

Bumper is definitely centred but the headlamps need adjusting which is my fault as I changed the ballasts.

Argenta

Post by Argenta » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Ah ok I measured to the bonnet, but it might be the camera angle.