Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to replace soft top motor without removing roof.. DONE!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Yes Jeff, Ross is still doing them.

Here's a link to his website:- https://www.rbmhampshire.co.uk/
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

SparkyZ4

Post by SparkyZ4 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks Mr Tidy, I will give him a call :)

Double Zero

Post by Double Zero » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Took mine took Ross last weekend, great work turned around in under 2 hours

Finally suns back out had a spin with the roof down this afternoon

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi all,

Once you have removed the motor do you need to reinstall the casing?

DMike

Post by DMike » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:36 pm

Rldee007 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:10 pm Once you have removed the motor do you need to reinstall the casing?
Not necessarily, but I did because the foam was dry and I thought it might provide some sound insulation and collect hydraulic fluid in case of a leak. With the casing the motor doesn’t fit as nicely in the recess as without it.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 am

Hi DMike,

Thank you for your reply.

Doesn't it rattle around as you drive or have you managed to secure it again?

I was thinking of leaving it out as (a.) I have seen people clean the holes with a rod and I guess with no motor in the way this is easier? (b) If it was to fill it can hole more water until braking point lol (which might not be a good idea).

I think I might of answered my own question but if anyone can correct me I am all ears.

DMike

Post by DMike » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Rldee007 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 am Hi DMike,

I was thinking of leaving it out as (a.) I have seen people clean the holes with a rod and I guess with no motor in the way this is easier? (b) If it was to fill it can hole more water until braking point lol (which might not be a good idea).

I think I might of answered my own question but if anyone can correct me I am all ears.
Sorry RIdee007, I was ambiguous. To clarify, I have the motor in the casing and the casing in the recess inside the boot. The well is now easy to clean with a silicon hose attached to a vacuum cleaner, 1 minute job once a year.

DMike

Post by DMike » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:29 pm

DMike wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 pm
Rldee007 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 am Hi DMike,

Sorry RIdee007, I was ambiguous. To clarify, I have the motor in the casing and the casing in the recess inside the boot. The well is now easy to clean with a silicon hose attached to a vacuum cleaner, 1 minute job once a year.
An old photo. With the casing the motor will sit at a 45 deg angle. I had to top up with some hydraulic fluid to compensate for this.
0D50AD94-FD92-4B88-A817-B159CB7C2975.jpeg
0D50AD94-FD92-4B88-A817-B159CB7C2975.jpeg (151.78 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks DMike looks good. I was planning to get some hardboard, velcro, trim carpet and foam to protect and insulate the motor but if I can keep the cover on too might be the way to compliment what I had in mind.

How do you top up the fluid and what do you use? I tested mine in the same position as yours (just placed) and it appears to work fine.

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Rldee007 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 am Thanks DMike looks good. I was planning to get some hardboard, velcro, trim carpet and foam to protect and insulate the motor but if I can keep the cover on too might be the way to compliment what I had in mind.

How do you top up the fluid and what do you use? I tested mine in the same position as yours (just placed) and it appears to work fine.
The white reservoir has a plus sign: with the reservoir held upright the fluid level should be between the upper and lower edge of the sign. I topped a bit more with no apparent harm and several years later no issues. On top of the reservoir is a filler plug.

Ryansebastian

Post by Ryansebastian » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 am

Hi Dmike, just want to thank everyone for this guide which has helped me to get my roof motor to the boot! I had bought a new electric motor off eBay and it’s not attached to any “base plate”, I seem to have the “pressed” version. Is there any way to separate this and use the motor I already bought?

I have an 03 e85, and I tried to separate the old motor and base but had no luck.. I am wondering if I have the right motor if some bases must come with the motor? Thanks guys!

colb

Post by colb » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:53 am

I secured mine behind the side wall carpet without the plastic cannister, cable tie wraps to a bracket that is behind the carpet, wrapped some foam around it for soundproofing.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

jbsanders

Post by jbsanders » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm

Hello DMike
I successfully relocated my motor to the trunk which I thought would be the hardest part. I did not remove the parcel tray etc as this was done when I had a suspension upgrade and I asked my mechanic to leave the pieces out so I could do the softtop motor relocation.

I have tried following the instructions backwards (so to speak) but unsuccessful to date. Could you help with some thoughts as to the process, ie maybe an order of it being done.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
John Sanders

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 pm

jbsanders wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm Hello DMike
I successfully relocated my motor to the trunk which I thought would be the hardest part. I did not remove the parcel tray etc as this was done when I had a suspension upgrade and I asked my mechanic to leave the pieces out so I could do the softtop motor relocation.

I have tried following the instructions backwards (so to speak) but unsuccessful to date. Could you help with some thoughts as to the process, ie maybe an order of it being done.

Regards
John Sanders
Do you mean installing the parcel shelf back? Your’re almost there: take a look at this thread:
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85840

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:21 pm

jbsanders wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:51 pm Hello DMike

Regards
John Sanders
PM sent