Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washing the roof/convertible top?

Discussing the current generation Z4
raven

Post by raven » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:08 pm

i get it coated twice a year by my detailer, and other than that I don't touch it, when its a bit dirty i use some demineralized water. and gently dry it with a cheap fiber cloth (not the fluffy yellow ones, because those leave bright yellow hairs on your roof :D) .
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm

rdm05z4 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm
PaperSniper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm Auto Finesse Rag top was by a long stretch the best cleaner I tried on the soft top, far better cleaning power than autoglym, turtle wax and renovo which were the others I tried, reasonably priced too https://www.autofinesse.com/en/rag-top-cleaner-500ml
PaperSniper- Do a search on Ragtop they do sell products here in the US. I have only used their products once before putting car up for winter. But so far so good. Products do have good reviews.

Thanks ya'll, I looked up Auto Finesse Rag Top cleaner. Sounds like the product is well liked here on the forum.....at least in the UK. A search on the internet here from the USA was in vain. I don't think I'm ready to order from overseas, so I will need to look for another product more easily obtainable. Appreciate the help, ya'll! 8)
Thanks. I have them on my shopping list. However, I was hoping for something a little more simple to use for this old, lazy man. :oops:

I may try this one: RaggTopp Convertible Top Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:45 pm

To be honest I used to vacuum the roof on my E85 more often than washing it. When I washed it, I used autoglym shampoo and a stiff brush, and lots of water afterwards. Always turned out ok! For really green or dodgy bits, I’d sometimes use a mild kitchen cleaner. Other than that...I didn’t do much to it!
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

TheGingerOneNI

Post by TheGingerOneNI » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:39 am

There are a few video guides but Larry at Ammo NYC explains it really well.

https://youtu.be/vmrKCKXx9FM

Like others the wet cleaning is not something I do every time I clean the car. I would more often vacuum and lint roller it. But there is the occasional bird bomb which requires a wet clean.