Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Smarttop Installation

How-To articles are in here.
A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Well, just done this but it was a bit painful in places so I thought I'd share my findings

Windows.
1. The firmware is NOT in Windows update, so the instructions are wrong
2. The zip file of manually installable drivers provided by Mods4Cars has no installation script or wrapper
3. The manual instructions for how to install the drivers do not work on Windows 7 64 bit
4. Module not found without the drivers so thart's a show stopper
5. I gave up with Windows

Mac.
1. Mavericks and Yosemite need a terminal workaround which is provided, I have Yosemite
2. Plugged module into Mac and ran the provided terminal command to execute the workaround
3. Grabbed the M4C app from App store and ran it, hooray, works fine
4. Programmed the setup to match what I wanted and wrote back to module, all good
5. Made a note of my settings!

So, Mac install worked fine

Installing the module in the car
1. Instructions are accurate but the photo showing which box is the Conv roof control module is a bit different to what I found in my car
2. Best clue was the suggestion to look for the 'Long black plug and bright green plug'
3. It's much easier to get the plug off and refit the Smarttop harness plug if you also remove the other two rearward connectors from the control module first, then refit them when you're done
4. There is very little space to squeeze the harness in but it is possible
5. Good idea to leave the USB cable connected to the module and tuck it out of the way
6. Test before refitting the trim! Not after
7. Refitting trim is the reverse. went OK but very easy to drop the trim fixing clips down inside the inaccessible spaces... (only one lost)

Overall this took an hour including a cup of tea and the buggering about with Windows drivers.
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

A1GSS

Re: E89 Smarttop Installation

Post by A1GSS » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Update on this - Windows drivers installation - download from Mods4cars site, extract to a folder then use device manager to browse to that folder and install the drivers.
Graham.

jamesbond

Re: E89 Smarttop Installation

Post by jamesbond » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Hello .. well done

I can appreciate how long it takes to post these " how - to articles " and make them accurate

many thanks for taking the time to post your article ... I for one found this most helpful and a interesting read :thumbsup:
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 pm

A1GSS wrote: ↑Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm Well, just done this but it was a bit painful in places so I thought I'd share my findings

Windows.
2. The zip file of manually installable drivers provided by Mods4Cars has no installation script or wrapper
3. The manual instructions for how to install the drivers do not work on Windows 7 64 bit

Mac.
1. Mavericks and Yosemite need a terminal workaround which is provided, I have Yosemite
2. Plugged module into Mac and ran the provided terminal command to execute the workaround
4. Programmed the setup to match what I wanted and wrote back to module, all good

1. Instructions are accurate but the photo showing which box is the Conv roof control module is a bit different to what I found in my car
2. Best clue was the suggestion to look for the 'Long black plug and bright green plug'
3. It's much easier to get the plug off and refit the Smarttop harness plug if you also remove the other two rearward connectors from the control module first, then refit them when you're done
5. Good idea to leave the USB cable connected to the module and tuck it out of the way
7. Refitting trim is the reverse. went OK but very easy to drop the trim fixing clips down inside the inaccessible spaces... (only one lost)

Overall this took an hour including a cup of tea and the buggering about with Windows drivers.
Hi going to fit mine tomorrow,

Is it necessary to lift the roof halfway as per instructions or can you fit it by just opening the boot and accessing it all from there ?

The instructions don’t really say what to do once fitted, just says refit trim panels ............ nothing about closing the roof back down.

Thanks Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Stuartt wrote: ↑Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 pm
A1GSS wrote: ↑Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm Well, just done this but it was a bit painful in places so I thought I'd share my findings

Windows.

Mac.

Is it necessary to lift the roof halfway as per instructions or can you fit it by just opening the boot and accessing it all from there ?

The instructions don’t really say what to do once fitted, just says refit trim panels ............ nothing about closing the roof back down.

Thanks Stuart
When I did mine I think doing it with the roof half open makes access easier especially if the z4 is fully speced and the compartment is full of kit. To close I just used the key fob. Also worth noting dont keep the key fob in your pocket during installas if you accidentally press the buttons the roof will move, not a good idea when working near the roof mechanism
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 pm

jabber wrote: ↑Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:22 pm
Stuartt wrote: ↑Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Windows.

Mac.

Thanks Stuart
When I did mine I think doing it with the roof half open makes access easier especially if the z4 is fully speced and the compartment is full of kit. To close I just used the key fob. Also worth noting dont keep the key fob in your pocket during installas if you accidentally press the buttons the roof will move, not a good idea when working near the roof mechanism
Thanks,

Stuart

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes, having the roof half open made access to the bits of boot trim etc, easier.
Graham.

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:52 pm

A1GSS wrote: ↑Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:30 pm Yes, having the roof half open made access to the bits of boot trim etc, easier.
Thanks Graham, done it yesterday took about 15 minuets, no issues having the roof half open and very easy to access like that.

Expensive bit of kit but worth every penny :)

Stuart

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Graham.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 am

It’s how the car should have come from the factory!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

jamesgarbett

Post by jamesgarbett » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi - how do you get the roof to stop half way open? Possible silly question - just take your finger off the button?
Z4 β€˜13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 pm

jamesgarbett wrote: ↑Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:03 pm Hi - how do you get the roof to stop half way open? Possible silly question - just take your finger off the button?
Unless you’ve already got a smarttop module installed, then yes :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Papa_Zee

Post by Papa_Zee » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:14 pm

jamesgarbett wrote: ↑Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:03 pm Hi - how do you get the roof to stop half way open? Possible silly question - just take your finger off the button?
Yep, thats how mine works, when i want to clean in there. It stops and continues when you press again - My key ony opens as not progreammed and I'm thinking smarttop if I think I need it.

Cant the smarttop functione just be programmed in anyway - Anyone?
E89 35is