Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service Advise - Z4MC

"M" Specific discussion
nobby_clarke

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by nobby_clarke » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi All,

I'm after a little advice..

My Z4MC has been off the road, within a warm garage for the past 4 years. During this time it has not even been turned over once. Reason for this is that I have been living/working abroad and have now recently returned back to the UK.

I need to dig out my service book and actual mileage, however from memory I'm sure she has covered just over 60,000 and not that long ago had the inspection 1 by the previous owner when I purchased her back in 2015. I want to keep the service schedule and reliability as she's my pride and joy.

What's the various opinions on the route I should take? Obviously I don't want to fork out for the full inspection 2 if it isn't needed.

I'm based in Rugby (Warwickshire), so if anyone also has any recommendations for suitable, reasonably priced garages that'll be great.. that won't just take your money!

Thanks,

Tom
Z4M Coupe - Interlagos Blue - 56 Reg :roll:

abidK

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by abidK » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm

I use a guy called Paul in Hinckley. Bramley Motor works

Harrowbrook Industrial Estate, Hinckley, LE103DS

Decent price and very knowledgable.

Abid
Z3M S54 Black
Z4M Black/Black
E39 M5 LMB
E61 M5 Touring SG
F10 M5 30 Jahre
E90 M3 Black/Black
E31 840CI Sport

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:17 am

Welcome back to the UK Tom. :thumbsup:

Going by BMW Condition Based Servicing it should have had an oil service in 2017 and an Inspection 2 in 2019!

But seeing as it hasn't gone anywhere I'd take it to a good BMW Indy for oil and filter, fresh brake fluid and coolant and ask them to have a good look around it for any other issues. But that's just IMHO.

After 4 years sat idle tyres may have flat-spots or other deterioration, and you may well need a new battery.

Hopefully it's a keeper, because I can see 4+ years of no service history not being helpful in the event you wanted to sell - especially if there is a 4 year gap in MOT history too!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

nobby_clarke

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by nobby_clarke » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 am

Hi Tidy,

That's good to know, cheers :thumbsup:
I was planning on hiring either a trailer or flatbed to take her to the garage when the time comes so I don't have to start her before she's been flushed.

I should have added that previously, before I went away I jacked her up completely on axle stands so the tyres were off the floor, I have also had her SORN'd throughout this period. I could easily prove my time away when/if the time comes to ever part ways. The battery wasn't the best anyway so I had already accepted that it'll need a new one of them.

Thanks,

Tom
Z4M Coupe - Interlagos Blue - 56 Reg :roll:

SiJar

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by SiJar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:13 am

I personally would have inspection 2 and the break fluid and coolant done.
Z4///MC

Simon 3.2M

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:14 am

The only real problem I can foresee is the state of the fuel in the lines - I’m assuming you didn’t drain the system.

Other than that turn the engine over by hand, check the condition of any hoses and wiring, make sure the clutch pedal is still working and firm and fire her up and drive her to the garage for an engine oil, brake fluid and coolant change.

Be careful regarding the tyres too as they may have hardened and lost their grip.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by inkey$ » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 pm

As above advice really. Fluids and hoses really. As above advice too, you might want to change the tyres depending on how old the rubber was when you jacked up the car. Then I’d personally get her back into the service schedule with a decent oil service, plugs etc and Insp 2 following on from that.
Last edited by inkey$ on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by mmm-five » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Personally, I'd not go longer than 12 months without an oil change, and I'd probably drain the gearbox & diff oils too after 4 years. Don't really see a need for valve clearances if the car's not moved though. Suspension may need checking/reconditioning, as will bushes, mounts, seals, coolant system, etc.

BTW, the only stipulation in the manual is for a minimum of an oil change every 2 years. There was/is no 'condition based servicing' for the S54, as the only 'condition' being monitored is fuel use and thus mileage.

Whilst oil services have a 2 year time interval alongside the OBC SI notification (oil service by time is not triggered on the OBC, just stated in the manual), Inspections are on a mileage-based system, not time. So it doesn't matter whether you do 1,000 miles over 1 year of 10 years, you'd still not trigger the next Oil Service or Inspection on the OBC Service Indicator - so you'd use the manual's minimum of oil service every 2 years.

The OBC Service Indicator will tell you the next service based on how many miles per gallon you're averaging and then work out how far you'll have to go to use up 500 gallons. In my case I get 14000 miles (at an average 28mpg) between scheduled servicing (although the SI initially states 15,500 - based on 31mpg for 500 gallons).

Works out rather well for a normal user:
  • Drive hard and fast = more fuel used = shorter service intervals
  • Drive slow and easy = less fuel used = longer service intervals
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Argenta

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Argenta » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:18 pm

I'd say the only fluid that really age, is brake fluid.
I suppose (if the car hasn't been jacked up on stands?) the tires will have flats that will take a few miles to round out.

Mister T

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Mister T » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:41 pm

After that long sat in the garage I'd
SiJar wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:13 am I personally would have inspection 2 and the break fluid and coolant done.
I'd do the same and probably a new set of tyres.

Manfred

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Manfred » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:15 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:17 am Hopefully it's a keeper, because I can see 4+ years of no service history not being helpful in the event you wanted to sell - especially if there is a 4 year gap in MOT history too!
Wouldn't bother me as a prospective buyer as long as the mileage was also consistent with the gap.
2006 Z4MC Silver Grey

Angelus666

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm

It's not made of glass, just turn it over for a few minutes and if all good give it a drive under low rpm and let things warm up.

Mister T

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by Mister T » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:54 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm It's not made of glass, just turn it over for a few minutes and if all good give it a drive under low rpm and let things warm up.
Straight down to the MOT test centre I hope... :wink: :evil:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm It's not made of glass, just turn it over for a few minutes and if all good give it a drive under low rpm and let things warm up.
Of course it is!

Turn it over once without massaging baby oil into every crevice, and cajoling finest angel tears around the cooling system will result in catastrophic failure to the cams, vanos, crank bearings, etc.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Service Advise - Z4MC

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:19 am

Thus spoke the voice of experience :lol:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone