Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Planing a roadtrip - maintenance

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
zriha

Post by zriha » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi gents,

I need a little bit of advice. So last year, we did about 2.500 km road trip to Tuscany (I live in Croatia), it was around 2.500 km in total, and Z4 did it great. But now, we are planning another trip (I hope the COVID-19) measures will be ok in a couple of months, so March is the month.

As I am calculating now, I think we will do about 5.000 km, we are planning to drive from Zagreb, Croatia to Sicily (Palermo) and do some local trips there.

Condition of our Z4, so it is obviously E85, 2.5i M54B25 engine, with 197.000 km. We bought it with 191.000 km, and the previous owner gave me the whole book of maintenance, the car wasn't a daily driver, and it is not a daily driver to us.

Maintenance (other than regular oil + filter every 10.000 km):
2020. (190.000 km)
New radiator and new coolant

2018. (180.000 km)
Rear disk pads

2017. (165.000 km)
New spark plugs
Front stabilizer + rubber mounting
Gearshift oil + mounting + seals
Front axel rubber joints

2012. (111.000 km)
Front and rear disks + pads
Valve cover
Expansion tank with mount
Coolant hoses

Sorry for my English, maybe I didn't translate anything correctly. But you have a picture, car didn't drove so much, and it had some maintenance.

My question is, what I need to do in terms of preventive maintenance, so I can reduce the possibility of some kind of major breakdown?

Thanks for the help and advice. :)
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 pm

looks to be a pretty good list! spark plugs already done, perhaps add ignition coils to the list?
put a fresh battery in for peace of mind?
brake fluid refresh?
perhaps a wheel alignment, and check all the bushes and suspension while its in the air?

major breakdown items i'd consider would be the water pump and the alternator, if either of those go they'll be a lot of hassle to fix during a roadtrip.

Croatia to Sicily could involve some alps, which in March, might be a case for winter or all season tyres?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm

brillomaster wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 pm looks to be a pretty good list! spark plugs already done, perhaps add ignition coils to the list?
put a fresh battery in for peace of mind?
brake fluid refresh?
perhaps a wheel alignment, and check all the bushes and suspension while its in the air?

major breakdown items i'd consider would be the water pump and the alternator, if either of those go they'll be a lot of hassle to fix during a roadtrip.

Croatia to Sicily could involve some alps, which in March, might be a case for winter or all season tyres?
Would you bother to disturb the ignition coils if it is running ok?
Could perhaps gamble that they would not all fail at once, and maybe take one or two spares just in case?

I would also suggest a check of any codes, note them, reset, go for a drive and check again.
Any that come back may be indicative of a problem lurking unseen.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:50 pm

I’d definitely check the condition of the tyres and the production date which will be on the tyre side wall, as old tyres are more likely to fail.
I’d also agree with changing the coil packs and water pump if you don’t know when if ever they have been changed,
Also for peace of mind have the car inspected at a local garage.
Let’s hope things improve and you will be able to enjoy your road trip. :D
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

colb

Post by colb » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 pm

Take a couple of spare ignition coils with you rare for more than one go bad at the same time. Alternator would be biggest concern given the mileage its done unless its been changed previously. Bit expensive to carry a complete unit as a spare maybe just the regulator pack would suffice if the bearings are ok and a failure is just the regulator pack. Spare drive belt would be a must to carry as a spare.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 pm

I would certainly change out the ignition coils for sure. I guess you could just take a couple of spares but it could still be a major inconvenience if one fails on a dangerous road. They are not very expensive
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 am

If anything it'll be a flat tyre, broken spring, or something else that you really can't plan for that'll cause you a problem.

Just get decent breakdown cover and don't worry about it.

zriha

Post by zriha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 am

Thank you all for your great advice. I forgot to mention, so the car has a new battery, it was 1 year ago. I tested it and it is ok. :) Also, brake fluids went under the regular maintenance, so it is changed, but I can change it again.

Ok, so definitely ignition coils, I would do that. The alternator is original, and the water pump is changed, but I can change it again, it is not a large investment, but I can be sure with a new OEM part.

Regarding tyres, yes, the Zed has summer tyres now, but I am planning to buy new Michelin Crossclimate+ all-season tyres for this year. I just need to find a good set of original BMW rims, as now I have some aftermarket from the previous owner that I don't like how they look.

I also do wheel alignment every year as a precaution, and we don't have so nice roads.

To sum up, definitely ignition coils, water pump, and check alternator. Maybe put fresh spark plugs when I change everything.

The plan for the trip is for the direction to Sicily to go like this:
Zagreb - Split (410 km)
Split - Ancona ferry boat
Ancona - Naples (418 km)
Naples - Palermo (715 km)

How we will go back, I don't know, we like to plan it on the go. In Naples, we will be 1-2 days and then go to Palermo, so I break the distances so Zed can rest a little bit.
Current fleet
Mini Cooper S JCW F56

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am

As it is not unknown for new components to fail, and you are changing the coils and plugs just as a precaution, I would suggest taking at least a couple of each of the old ones with you. You know they're still good, and they may help you out of an awkward situation.
(And I'd still do a precautionary code check before you go, just in case.)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

zriha

Post by zriha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks for the tip, my first car (20 years ago) was VW Beetle, so I am fully aware of having spare old but good parts in my trunk. With Beetle, I had a spare carburettor, spark plugs, cables, distribution cap... :) and I did in that little old Porsch a lot of kilometres. :)

I will definitely check with my mechanic that components, maybe I will go another way, keep the new coils in the trunk for a spare, and keep the old ones in the car if they work, and they are in good condition, I will not touch them.

Also, noted, I have a good road assistance that covers all EU, and this is Italy, not fair from home, so I don't expect that I will have a problem finding a part shop or a mechanic for this kind of job if something goes wrong.
Current fleet
Mini Cooper S JCW F56

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 am

Mister T wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 am If anything it'll be a flat tyre, broken spring, or something else that you really can't plan for that'll cause you a problem.

Just get decent breakdown cover and don't worry about it.
This.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am

I think some really useful ideas can be gleaned from those 3 idiots on TV....
:thumbsup:
safari.jpg
safari.jpg (71.36 KiB) Viewed 416 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

zriha

Post by zriha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:14 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:52 am I think some really useful ideas can be gleaned from those 3 idiots on TV....
:thumbsup:
safari.jpg
Hahahaha, well Chris, I am not going to Afghanistan, only Italy and Sicily :) :) :) :)
Current fleet
Mini Cooper S JCW F56