Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine Tie Bars/tension Struts - Info Needed

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Now that i have a bit more time (furloughed once again) i was going to remove the tie bars and give them a freshen up as they are a bit scabby and spoiling the overall condition of the engine bay. But, reading the instructions to re-install:

Tighten down nuts (rear of engine bay) to specified torque.
Replace screws (2), tighten to specified torque and then to angle of rotation.

What does angle of rotation refer to? Also, the instructions refer to a special tool, is this just a torque wrench? :scratchhead:

My concern here was that they are pre-tensioned somehow and it might be unwise to remove them, or am i worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks in advance. RC
“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” ― Douglas Bader

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Ratcatcher wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 pm But, reading the instructions to re-install
First step is to see which you have, nuts or bolts.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 pm

Ah ok, it all becomes clear.

Now i feel dumb....
“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” ― Douglas Bader

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Did you decide it was safe to remove them?
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 pm Did you decide it was safe to remove them?
Yes, i think so. Next problem is what colour to spray them. Metallic chartreuse anyone?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 am

Took the ones off wifey's 2.5i to respray them. Left the car parked level and didn't move it with them off and it all went back together fine. Tbh I didn't torque them as such, just did them up to what I felt was correct, but then I have quite a few years of technical experience behind me.
About a week later I heard a knock from the front and discovered one nut had worked itself a bit loose. Could have been down to re-using the old nuts perhaps? Anyway, I replaced all four with brand new stainless nyloc nuts and wide stainless washers under them. All been good ever since.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: