Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scratched speaker cover/ grille

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:24 pm

I'm about 90% into my retrofit of footwell lights and extended lighting in my E89. I purchased two bits of trim off eBay - the trim and speaker cover the two speakers to the right/rear and left/rear of the driver/passenger. The photos showed them in decent condition and the price not bad. The box was delivered (by Hermes) about 3 days later, the box looked like this:
tempImage2edeeb.gif
tempImage2edeeb.gif (376.63 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Inside the two bits of trim were placed one face down and the other above it with this single piece of thin bubble wrap:
tempImageR4XeBY.gif
tempImageR4XeBY.gif (392.31 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Not surprisingly the drivers side speaker cover ended up looking like this :headbang:
tempImageWWXZkN.gif
tempImageWWXZkN.gif (461.12 KiB) Viewed 360 times
The paint essentially scratched off! I contacted the seller of course and to be fair to him he replied within 24 hours, apologised and refunded me the full amount (for both) and told me I can keep them. I would rather have the unscratched item of course, and he should have packed these properly, but here we are.

I've taken the metal grilles out of both sides and going to give them a quick dusting with a spray can which I think should do the trick - Q: do you think I should get Black Matte or Black Satin?

BTW, I tried touching up the scratched bit with a black Sharpie, and whilst it is much improved, in certain lights the touch-up is obvious to see and so I think I will still go with a quick respray.

Cheers
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Id say matt but satin will work just as well, its a part you rarely see, Id never even noticed them until i did my speaker upgrade as they are well hidden by the seats so I wouldnt get too hung up on the type of finish
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Can't see where scratched other than the top bit. Once fitted you won't notice as seat belt covers it.
Looks like it's been rubbed over with tissue though.
Why bother buying, i just drilled two 5mm holes where the dimples are and fitted led, one white one orange.

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm Can't see where scratched other than the top bit. Once fitted you won't notice as seat belt covers it.
Looks like it's been rubbed over with tissue though.
Why bother buying, i just drilled two 5mm holes where the dimples are and fitted led, one white one orange.
Yes, I realise that - but I am going out of my way to make it "OEM" even if its not really necessary :)
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 pm

Turns out that my partner, who usually is completely disinterested in my interest in fiddling with cars, asked what I was doing - I explained I was pulling out the mesh to spray it black as it was scratched/chipped paint etc. ... she looked at me and said, if I was swapping it for the ones in my car, why don't I just swap the mesh between the two ....??

.................. don't you just hate it when these smarty pants come along and tell you the bleeding obvious?!?! :oops: So yes, I guess I won't be spraying and problem is solved!!

:rofl: :rofl:
Last edited by ProfCJJ on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Christopher

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 pm

Lol.. I did kinda wonder that but assumed you had your reasons :) :rofl:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:30 am

Just for reference B&Q black stove paint gives a OEM finish and is just as durable if not better. Also drys quick
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:33 am

Reamesy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:30 am Just for reference B&Q black stove paint gives a OEM finish and is just as durable if not better. Also drys quick
Worth noting - thanks! 👍
---
Christopher

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm

I know the seller refunded the money but it really pis5es me off when people don’t package stuff correctly...and then to send it with Herpes was the final straw, probably drop kicked it into the back of the van.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:34 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm I know the seller refunded the money but it really pis5es me off when people don’t package stuff correctly...and then to send it with Herpes was the final straw, probably drop kicked it into the back of the van.
I’m with you on that - there was no effort by them to wrap this properly so it was somewhat inevitable!
---
Christopher