Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine automaticallly re-starts!

Discussing the current generation Z4
PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:58 pm

This is a weird one for me. Not sure if it is a problem or just a feature.

Situation:
Start car - me in driver seat, wife in passenger seat.
Drive to post office, about 7 minutes away from start point.
Stop engine, I exit car; wife stays in car.
Return to car about 3 minutes later
...and engine restarts once my butt hits the seat! I have touched nothing on the console! :o
The procedure is then the same as if I'd done a remote start with the BMW app or the key fob: musr put foot on brake, press the Start button before I can drive away.

The "re-start" does not happen if I am alone when exiting the car.

I very rarely have a passenger in the car. This has only happened twice in 6 months of ownership, always with the same scenario as above, once at the post office, once at a convenience store. Seems like a very odd feature to me. Anyone have a similar experience?
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Doesn't sound right to me - I can think of several occasions where you wouldn't want the engine to start, like if you were in a closed garage etc.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:42 pm

I agree. It's not much of a convenience it that's what it was designed to be....assuming it is not a "problem" with this car. My Z4 goes to the dealer for its first service in the next two months, so I will mention it.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Are you sure you pressed the engine stop/start when you got out? Sounds like you didn't and it just switched off with the Auto stop/start bit and coincidentally started as you sat back in it.

I have done that previously so you're not alone. I managed to park up at the vets one day and walked the dog before his appointment. When I came back to the car it was running! Luckily no-one had come near it and realised it was started and unoccupied.

raven

Post by raven » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Z4monster wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:50 pm Are you sure you pressed the engine stop/start when you got out? Sounds like you didn't and it just switched off with the Auto stop/start bit and coincidentally started as you sat back in it.

I have done that previously so you're not alone. I managed to park up at the vets one day and walked the dog before his appointment. When I came back to the car it was running! Luckily no-one had come near it and realised it was started and unoccupied.
My car beeps at me if i exit and its not fully turned off :)
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

Keyper

Post by Keyper » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:47 pm

raven wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:19 pm
Z4monster wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:50 pm Are you sure you pressed the engine stop/start when you got out? Sounds like you didn't and it just switched off with the Auto stop/start bit and coincidentally started as you sat back in it.

What about if you don’t take the keys with u?
2004 E85 2.5i Sterling Grey - Now Gone
2010 E89 35i Titanium Silver

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 pm

I did that once like you, but not in this car. With the Z4 it was obvious the car was not running, as I hear the GROWL when it started itself as I sat down.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Keyper wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:47 pm

Mine does also.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 pm

Keyper wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:47 pm

I've never done that, not sure what would happen. Maybe it would sense the driver's door opened, and beep?
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

raven

Post by raven » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm

The moment you open the door it beeps i thinnk if the engine is stil on. Will check tomorrow.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:17 pm

This was my thought.

raven

Post by raven » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 pm

raven wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm The moment you open the door it beeps i thinnk if the engine is stil on. Will check tomorrow.
I double checked its not beeping when i open the door with the engine running, must have been beeping for something else then, sorry for the misinformation :).

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 pm

raven wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 pm
raven wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm The moment you open the door it beeps i thinnk if the engine is stil on. Will check tomorrow.
I double checked its not beeping when i open the door with the engine running, must have been beeping for something else then, sorry for the misinformation :).
Well, thanks for checking anyway! :thumbsup:
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Sladester100

Post by Sladester100 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:37 am

raven wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 pm
It sounds the horn if you try to lock it with the engine running.
F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool:

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Update: I'm the OP.

I could have sworn I ALWAYS put the car into Sport mode, so the auto-stop-start would not be a factor. However, the "genius person" at my BWM dealer said about the same as you. Here's what she thinks happened:

Wife and I enter the car; I am chatting with my wife about something. Started the car, (THINK I pushed the Sport button so it's in Comfort mode) for our 5 minute drive to the post office. Back out of the garage.
Get to post office, still chatting away......apply foot brake, handbrake, and put car into Park.
THINK I pushed the Stop button (but I must not have done so). Engine is not running, so I open the car door and go into the post office. Wife stays in the car listening to the radio.
Return to the car, grab the door handle to open it, sit and the engine starts!

The dealer said this chain of circumstances must all be met for that situation to arise. So it's not a defect, but she agreed it's a quirk. 8)

I suppose this means I pay much more attention to my wife than I do to my car. I wonder if this is the result of 53 years of our marriage? :wink:
2020 BMW Z4 M40i