Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Jamie-innes wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Ladderman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:08 pm
Jamie-innes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Finished off my install of carbon fibre trim :driving:
20200925_125643.jpg
great job mate :thumbsup: Did you skin the original trim yourself?
I’m planning on doing a load when I take mine off the road over winter. I don’t know wether to sink original parts, or go all in and make moulds. Making moulds will take longer & more expense, but if I master the art I may try larger parts such as the exterior panels. There is a great company https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/ who sell everything you need. They have a Learning Area section with videos on different techniques. One even shows you how to make a car bonnet from start to finish.
Bought it already skinned and 2k clear coated from ebay so still have the original trim, it's not perfect by any means, a little imperfection on the side of the centre console and a few dust marks in the clear coat if you look closely but so much better than my tired and scratched trim i had before.
I had looked at that company before but it's way beyond my skill and I just don't have the time and money to put into learning.
I look forward to seeing a progress thread though if you go ahead, would be interesting to see, maybe even a little forum earner if you get handy with it
I have already done this, thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=122291&hilit=carbon+fiber

It's totally doable but you need a lot of time and patience and be prepared to make a few mistakes along the way. I will soon be working on another set for the E89 Z4 perhaps I should get some trims for the E85 / E86 too.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Ladderman

Post by Ladderman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Ladderman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:08 pm
Jamie-innes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Finished off my install of carbon fibre trim :driving:
20200925_125643.jpg
great job mate :thumbsup: Did you skin the original trim yourself?
I’m planning on doing a load when I take mine off the road over winter. I don’t know wether to sink original parts, or go all in and make moulds. Making moulds will take longer & more expense, but if I master the art I may try larger parts such as the exterior panels. There is a great company https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/ who sell everything you need. They have a Learning Area section with videos on different techniques. One even shows you how to make a car bonnet from start to finish.
Bought it already skinned and 2k clear coated from ebay so still have the original trim, it's not perfect by any means, a little imperfection on the side of the centre console and a few dust marks in the clear coat if you look closely but so much better than my tired and scratched trim i had before.
I had looked at that company before but it's way beyond my skill and I just don't have the time and money to put into learning.
I look forward to seeing a progress thread though if you go ahead, would be interesting to see, maybe even a little forum earner if you get handy with it
you’ve actually read my mind ha. The imperfections you are referring to can be mostly avoided by using the vacuum bag & resin infusion technique. I will have an initial layouts for about £600 for the vacuum & moulding equipment. That’s not including carbon fibre & other materials.

As I’ve already mentioned I intended to do as much of the interior trim as is possible. I will even be doing the steering wheel before I send it Royals to be re covered in Alcantara.

If can master the moulding process then I’ll be able to make parts & sell them a lot cheaper than online companies.

I’ll start with aesthetics parts, then move on to weight saving parts such as, brake ducts, door cards & ultimately panels.

I’m going to get a few z4 salvage parts that I can use for moulds, but I will also have to learn how to skin items when moulds can’t be made.

If you want to try & remove some of the imperfections you need sand them out & polish back with a cutting compound. It’s the same process I use on acrylic.

Jamie-innes

Post by Jamie-innes » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 pm
Ladderman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:08 pm great job mate :thumbsup: Did you skin the original trim yourself?
I have already done this, thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=122291&hilit=carbon+fiber

It's totally doable but you need a lot of time and patience and be prepared to make a few mistakes along the way. I will soon be working on another set for the E89 Z4 perhaps I should get some trims for the E85 / E86 too.
They pieces look great mate! Make it look easy! The trim that ended up with the imperfection looks exactly like the bit on the side of my centre console, can't notice it when driving but can catch it if you're looking for it, was priced accordingly however as i picked them up really cheap!

Jamie-innes

Post by Jamie-innes » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Ladderman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 pm
Ladderman wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:08 pm great job mate :thumbsup: Did you skin the original trim yourself?
you’ve actually read my mind ha. The imperfections you are referring to can be mostly avoided by using the vacuum bag & resin infusion technique. I will have an initial layouts for about £600 for the vacuum & moulding equipment. That’s not including carbon fibre & other materials.

As I’ve already mentioned I intended to do as much of the interior trim as is possible. I will even be doing the steering wheel before I send it Royals to be re covered in Alcantara.

If can master the moulding process then I’ll be able to make parts & sell them a lot cheaper than online companies.

I’ll start with aesthetics parts, then move on to weight saving parts such as, brake ducts, door cards & ultimately panels.

I’m going to get a few z4 salvage parts that I can use for moulds, but I will also have to learn how to skin items when moulds can’t be made.

If you want to try & remove some of the imperfections you need sand them out & polish back with a cutting compound. It’s the same process I use on acrylic.
Sounds like a solid plan mate, hopefully claw back some of the costs aswell once you get the hang of it and start doing some bits to sell on! :thumbsup:
And that's good to know if it ever annoys me enough to redo it :roll: i honestly thought it wouldn't be repairable

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 pm

Jamie-innes wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm They pieces look great mate! Make it look easy! The trim that ended up with the imperfection looks exactly like the bit on the side of my centre console, can't notice it when driving but can catch it if you're looking for it, was priced accordingly however as i picked them up really cheap!
That imperfection has to do with humidity or moisture, I ended up having to redo the entire panel since the buyer wanted the defect removed but yes it wasn't hugely noticeable, only with certain light or angles will you see it. Just out of interest what did you end up paying for it?

Jamie-innes

Post by Jamie-innes » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 pm
Jamie-innes wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm They pieces look great mate! Make it look easy! The trim that ended up with the imperfection looks exactly like the bit on the side of my centre console, can't notice it when driving but can catch it if you're looking for it, was priced accordingly however as i picked them up really cheap!
That imperfection has to do with humidity or moisture, I ended up having to redo the entire panel since the buyer wanted the defect removed but yes it wasn't hugely noticeable, only with certain light or angles will you see it. Just out of interest what did you end up paying for it?
Ahh right that makes sense then, and some people can be quite fussy :roll: and i won it in an auction for £210 for the 3 trim pieces

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Jamie-innes wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 pm
Silverstar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:00 pm
Ahh right that makes sense then, and some people can be quite fussy :roll: and i won it in an auction for £210 for the 3 trim pieces
You got yourself a right bargain there. :thumbsup:

Knowing how much time and effort this takes I doubt the seller made any money on it.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Got these in the mail today. Paid £65 with the eBay September discount.
ate.jpg
ate.jpg (125.58 KiB) Viewed 586 times
And finished the sill wrap, then took her out for a squirt...
IMG_20200929_150852.jpg
IMG_20200929_150852.jpg (145.52 KiB) Viewed 583 times
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

DSGRNMCM

Post by DSGRNMCM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Cleared my Airbag light!
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass
F11 520d, E46 328i, E91 320d, F21 120d, E46 318ti
Mk VI GTD DSG (Daily Hack)

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Took the old girl to RBM in Hampshire to get a full fluid changeover; oil, coolant, brake fluid, gearbox and diff.
...and a CDV delete... and an MOT! Thanks to Ross and Phil! :thumbsup:
rbm.jpg
rbm.jpg (120.67 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Last edited by Z4C_er on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Right

Only set out to do a couple of small bits

Dried the condensation in the NS headlight- refitted the seal I'd not fitted properly
:headbang:

Greased all hinges, locks and latches for winter

Waterproofed the hood

Fitted new footwell speakers

Did the engine sound generator mod (cheap version!)

So all in all a productive day
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Kevoz4

Post by Kevoz4 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm

I’ve replaced the discs and pads for brembo’s and painted the callipers but on removing these I found that all my shocks were original and absolutely knackered so replaced them with Bilstein B4’s with new bump stops and covers. The Z now drives even better but I didn’t really notice the shocks being so bad, I suppose driving the TR6 has made it easy to accept a bumpy ride in comparison to a modern.
While I had the rear shelf out doing the rear shocks I moved the Soft top pump to inside the boot. Very happy with all the results.
Attachments
2980CECF-B3AC-44BB-9C57-85BA8E13D772.jpeg
2980CECF-B3AC-44BB-9C57-85BA8E13D772.jpeg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 492 times
B4EE72AB-CC1E-4F7E-9B30-D26DDD5D3FFF.jpeg
B4EE72AB-CC1E-4F7E-9B30-D26DDD5D3FFF.jpeg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 492 times
937B1C3C-EA13-41AE-A116-34239BAFB0A1.jpeg
937B1C3C-EA13-41AE-A116-34239BAFB0A1.jpeg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 492 times
BCC89122-4702-4227-8B68-828E6F47E080.jpeg
BCC89122-4702-4227-8B68-828E6F47E080.jpeg (129.12 KiB) Viewed 492 times
3E1AAD11-E8FA-4E69-A5BE-BC2CA6C49669.jpeg
3E1AAD11-E8FA-4E69-A5BE-BC2CA6C49669.jpeg (107.76 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Cheers Kev.

2005 Titan Silver BMW Z4 E85 2.0SE
2013 Graphite BMW 120d Sport
1972 Pimento Red Triumph TR6 2.5 Pi
1979 Azzurro Blue Lancia Beta Coupe 1.6

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Kevoz4 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm I’ve replaced the discs and pads for brembo’s and painted the callipers but on removing these I found that all my shocks were original and absolutely knackered so replaced them with Bilstein B4’s with new bump stops and covers. The Z now drives even better but I didn’t really notice the shocks being so bad, I suppose driving the TR6 has made it easy to accept a bumpy ride in comparison to a modern.
While I had the rear shelf out doing the rear shocks I moved the Soft top pump to inside the boot. Very happy with all the results.
Wow, busy boy! That was all in one day?

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:20 pm Right

Only set out to do a couple of small bits

Dried the condensation in the NS headlight- refitted the seal I'd not fitted properly
:headbang:

Greased all hinges, locks and latches for winter

Waterproofed the hood

Fitted new footwell speakers

Did the engine sound generator mod (cheap version!)

So all in all a productive day
I'll say! :thumbsup:

Kevoz4

Post by Kevoz4 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm
Kevoz4 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm I’ve replaced the discs and pads for brembo’s and painted the callipers but on removing these I found that all my shocks were original and absolutely knackered so replaced them with Bilstein B4’s with new bump stops and covers. The Z now drives even better but I didn’t really notice the shocks being so bad, I suppose driving the TR6 has made it easy to accept a bumpy ride in comparison to a modern.
Wow, busy boy! That was all in one day?
Ha ha, not all today but started yesterday lunchtime with the installation. :thumbsup:
Cheers Kev.

2005 Titan Silver BMW Z4 E85 2.0SE
2013 Graphite BMW 120d Sport
1972 Pimento Red Triumph TR6 2.5 Pi
1979 Azzurro Blue Lancia Beta Coupe 1.6