Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Post Reply
User avatar
DSGRNMCM
Member
Member
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:08 pm

What have you done to your car today?

Post by DSGRNMCM » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:56 pm

Went to get fuel, before we get on the ferry tomorrow (Early muster, for an 0800 sail..) and the Airbag light has come on!

I figure as I disconnected the door airbags (Probably didn't need to) it has thrown this light, Tried using the Torque Pro app, but it didnt even register it. Any ideas on how to clear it?
E86 Z4m Coupe - Titan Silver, Stubby, Sun protection, Eibach springs, LED interior lights, CDV delete, Badge delete, Pipercross, Exhaust bypass
F11 520d, E46 328i, E91 320d, F21 120d, E46 318ti
Mk VI GTD DSG (Daily Hack)

User avatar
bigwinn
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Location: Lincoln UK
Contact:

What have you done to your car today?

Post by bigwinn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Busy day today

New wishbones and lollipop bushes
Arb bushes
New discs and pads

Thanks to PDJ for being on call to tell me to hit it harder when a ball joint got stuck! :headbang:

Only thing that failed was one of the disc retaining screws got stuck- back to that tomorrow to drill the b’stard out

Looking at the bushes that came off, especially the lollipops, they were a bit flaky- deffo expecting a change in handling
E30 325i Touring
E85 2.2i SE GONE
E85 3.0i SE GONE
E85 2.5i Current Project 1
E85 3.0i Current Project 2 (!)
F31 330d

ON ORDER G21

User avatar
LittleZ4
Member
Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am

What have you done to your car today?

Post by LittleZ4 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Fitted some new grills as mine were flakey and needed constant attention
Attachments
PXL_20200924_162733486.jpg
PXL_20200924_162733486.jpg (212.34 KiB) Viewed 652 times
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB.

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

What have you done to your car today?

Post by patriot66 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:08 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm Busy day today

New wishbones and lollipop bushes
Arb bushes
New discs and pads

Thanks to PDJ for being on call to tell me to hit it harder when a ball joint got stuck! :headbang:

Only thing that failed was one of the disc retaining screws got stuck- back to that tomorrow to drill the b’stard out

Looking at the bushes that came off, especially the lollipops, they were a bit flaky- deffo expecting a change in handling
Wow ! A very busy day there Stuart :o
Has the disc retaining screw rounded-out ? If it's still intact then the following couple of tools will usually do the trick :thumbsup:
90581-1.jpg
90581-1.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 636 times
43245.jpg
43245.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 636 times
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / St.Grey Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV Backbox / Rebuilt VANOS / Carbon & Alcantara Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / Sonar 2excite Headlights / De-tango'd !

User avatar
bigwinn
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Location: Lincoln UK
Contact:

What have you done to your car today?

Post by bigwinn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:22 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:08 pm
bigwinn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm Busy day today

New wishbones and lollipop bushes
Arb bushes
New discs and pads

Thanks to PDJ for being on call to tell me to hit it harder when a ball joint got stuck! :headbang:

Only thing that failed was one of the disc retaining screws got stuck- back to that tomorrow to drill the b’stard out

Looking at the bushes that came off, especially the lollipops, they were a bit flaky- deffo expecting a change in handling
Wow ! A very busy day there Stuart :o
Has the disc retaining screw rounded-out ? If it's still intact then the following couple of tools will usually do the trick :thumbsup: 90581-1.jpg43245.jpg
Tried the impact driver- no dice
Think tomorrow I’m going to try to drill it out- then get some mole grips on the stem once off

Enjoyed it all- still going to sort the rear brake pipes and CDV delete

Surprised how easy these cars are to work on-
E30 325i Touring
E85 2.2i SE GONE
E85 3.0i SE GONE
E85 2.5i Current Project 1
E85 3.0i Current Project 2 (!)
F31 330d

ON ORDER G21

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

What have you done to your car today?

Post by patriot66 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:43 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:22 pm
patriot66 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:08 pm
bigwinn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm Busy day today

New wishbones and lollipop bushes
Arb bushes
New discs and pads

Thanks to PDJ for being on call to tell me to hit it harder when a ball joint got stuck! :headbang:

Only thing that failed was one of the disc retaining screws got stuck- back to that tomorrow to drill the b’stard out

Looking at the bushes that came off, especially the lollipops, they were a bit flaky- deffo expecting a change in handling
Wow ! A very busy day there Stuart :o
Has the disc retaining screw rounded-out ? If it's still intact then the following couple of tools will usually do the trick :thumbsup: 90581-1.jpg43245.jpg
Tried the impact driver- no dice
Think tomorrow I’m going to try to drill it out- then get some mole grips on the stem once off

Enjoyed it all- still going to sort the rear brake pipes and CDV delete

Surprised how easy these cars are to work on-
The trouble with the disc retaining screw is it protrudes through the back of the hub flange and corrodes from the back. A blow torch usually breaks the bond. Smother the new screw in Copperslip :thumbsup:
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / St.Grey Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV Backbox / Rebuilt VANOS / Carbon & Alcantara Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / Sonar 2excite Headlights / De-tango'd !

User avatar
Z4C_er
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1241
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Wiltshire

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:17 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:11 am You could probably get rubber caps to block off the holes. I'll have a look.
I've ordered these:
https://ebay.us/7zPLEs
I'll let you know how they fit.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Jamezee
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 pm

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Jamezee » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Discovered how to change a headlight bulb.

Open a flap, pull a spring etc etc...........

in the WHEEL ARCH :rofl:

What a ridiculous design.

Lets put a silly flap in the wettest place on a car.... no wonder the lights corrode inside.
Z3 2.2 sport tit silver
Z4 coupe 3.0si sport montego blue
728i oxford green
Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

User avatar
Jamie-innes
Member
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 pm
Location: Scotland

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Jamie-innes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Finished off my install of carbon fibre trim :driving:
20200925_125643.jpg
20200925_125643.jpg (183.79 KiB) Viewed 536 times

Weston Matt
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 8:14 pm
Location: Cotswolds

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Weston Matt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Jamie-innes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Finished off my install of carbon fibre trim
Looks very nice. 2 questions?
How do you get your plastic trim to look so good and do you have any issues with the vents heating the back of the screen?
Cheers

User avatar
Jamie-innes
Member
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 pm
Location: Scotland

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Jamie-innes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Weston Matt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:58 pm
Jamie-innes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Finished off my install of carbon fibre trim
Looks very nice. 2 questions?
How do you get your plastic trim to look so good and do you have any issues with the vents heating the back of the screen?
Cheers
Thanks mate :wink:
And to be honest it had a full valet about 2 months back and i haven't touched it since so I can't help you there, must be some sort of plastic conditioner maybe?
And RE the vents, unless it's blowing cold I just have those vents turned off usually :thumbsup: don't want to overheat the screen lol

User avatar
Jakg
Member
Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:36 am

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Jakg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm Only thing that failed was one of the disc retaining screws got stuck- back to that tomorrow to drill the b’stard out
On my Z4 I used a chisel at an angle to tap it round.

Image

On my E91 that didn't work so I ended up hammering a torx socket in

Image

Both likely easier than drilling.

Both times I was using proper tools - never had this on other cars and it's happened to both my BMWs!

User avatar
bigwinn
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm
Location: Lincoln UK
Contact:

What have you done to your car today?

Post by bigwinn » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Jakg wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 pm
bigwinn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm Only thing that failed was one of the disc retaining screws got stuck- back to that tomorrow to drill the b’stard out
On my Z4 I used a chisel at an angle to tap it round.

Image

On my E91 that didn't work so I ended up hammering a torx socket in

Image

Both likely easier than drilling.

Both times I was using proper tools - never had this on other cars and it's happened to both my BMWs!
Tried using centre punch etc- no joy and they are proper mashed now- drill time tomorrow
E30 325i Touring
E85 2.2i SE GONE
E85 3.0i SE GONE
E85 2.5i Current Project 1
E85 3.0i Current Project 2 (!)
F31 330d

ON ORDER G21

Online
True-Blue
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 pm

What have you done to your car today?

Post by True-Blue » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 pm

Made it levitate.... :?
E16D0BB1-5589-4E1D-992A-2CC05D8937B9.jpeg
E16D0BB1-5589-4E1D-992A-2CC05D8937B9.jpeg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Ditched one German mistress for another... currently dating a TTS Roadster :evil:

Previous Z4’s : E89 20i in VO, E85 3.0Si Silver sold at 29.5k miles, E85 Silver 3.0Si se, E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si

User avatar
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4853
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

What have you done to your car today?

Post by Nictrix » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Jamie-innes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm Finished off my install of carbon fibre trim :driving:
20200925_125643.jpg
Looks good, is it wrapped or carbon fibre skinned?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Post Reply