Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 rear slippery on wet country roads - Best solution ? Tyres ?

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

Hi all -

I have a 2014 E89 2.0i M Sport Auto and really love the car - impeccable driving and reliability roadtripping in UK, France, Switzerland, Italy for nearly 1.5 years now. Absolutely no problem at all, and getting very good grip on dry roads..

However, when driving in the UK (especially uneven countryside roads, or bad pavement that doesnt absorb rain) I notice that the Rear of the car is quite often 'loosing traction' if i try to go above, say 40-50mph - also same thing when on highway and heavy rain, above 60mph.
Note that this is all done in in Comfort mode, when driving gently - so a little bit scary.

I am sure this has been debated before, and that this is more a common behaviour for a E89 (ie nothing wrong with my car) ; just curious as to whether you experienced similar thing ? and what is the best way to solve it ?

I am on the Bridgestone Potentezas runflat (same as stock), approx 30-50% used. Would changing my tyres drastically improve traction on wet roads ? or will it be the same ? (note that I dont mind the harsher ride, I'd prefer having runflats - given all the punctures here in the UK..) I believe people here are swearing by the Goodyear Eagle F1 ?

Other solution for me is, sadly, swapping for an AWD .. (911 or Ftype) but would be a bummer as I am 100% satisfied and happy with my Zed otherwise.

Any help or advice much appreciated !

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:24 am

Simple solution,ditch the bridgestones,job done :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:32 am

sw4nny wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:24 am Simple solution,ditch the bridgestones,job done :thumbsup:
Oh yes! My car is the same except manual.
Fitted non runflats and it's transformed it!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:39 am

Nice easy solution to that problem, change tyres, dangerous handling and a bone shaking ride is normal for runflat tyres.

The best tyres at the moment are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S or Continental Sport Contact 6. I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot 4 S and they are brilliant in all weather. No problems with standing water.

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:45 am

after swapping out the tyres and before considering AWD, you could give a try installing an LSD solution into the differential
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks for these advice.

So if I ditch the Bridgestone RFT, are there ''Good'' tyres models in RFT I can fit ? Or are they all a letdown in terms of wet roads grips, as opposed no non-RFT ?
(i don't mind about the harsher ride, but do care a lot about wet road grip)

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:06 am

Bridgestone tyres are about as sticky as Teflon, if you can stretch to it get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, dont know if they do a RFT version.
The stiff walls of RFT also help the tyre 'break away' on corners instead of flexing to enhance grip.
Just ditch runflats, you think you dont mind the harsh ride but you will realise just how bad the car is with RFT once you ditch them..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:18 am

Allright thanks I might go non-RFT then.. Im just nervous about getting a puncture - the state of UK roads, even highways filled up with potholes, is v shocking (I have a RAC cover etc.. but never used it thankfully)

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:21 am

bluesun89 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:18 am Allright thanks I might go non-RFT then.. Im just nervous about getting a puncture - the state of UK roads, even highways filled up with potholes, is v shocking (I have a RAC cover etc.. but never used it thankfully)
How many flats have you had in all your years of driving?
If you have breakdown cover get rid of the rfts and enjoy the car
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s= ... uoja1m4aY5

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s= ... T6tvwZx8Wa

Most people swap to a variety of brands in non runflat..

There are some of the brands people use in run flat versions

One of the many premium brands in 19" sizes (you've not listed your wheel sizes) i've copied the link in for..

Others may advise from practical experience..

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 am

Runflats aren't really a solution to a puncture. The only real advantage over normal tyres is that they allow you to limp a short distance without damaging the wheel but you're still stuck waiting for recovery unless you happen to be close to home. They also don't really help in a blowout scenario.

A small space saver wheel is the best solution but eats up the already limited storage space. I've been carrying around a small 12v compressor and a can of foam but never had to use them, I think this solution is the best middle ground and gives you as much if not more mobility in the event of a puncture than a runflat tyre.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:01 pm

i think in 12 years of driving i've had one actual puncture... but even then, it still held enough pressure to get me home once it was reinflated (and checked every 20 miles). So personally, i'd just spend £20 on a 12V tyre inflator, and keep that in the boot of your car.

The other cause of flat/deflating tyres are either leaky valves, or tyres not seating properly on a corroded/flaky painted rim. but again, both of these can be solved in the short term with a tyre inflator.

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice. I have just ordered 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non runflat), to be fitted on Wed. And you are right, I care much more about not aquaplaning into a tree when the road is slippery, than about dealing with a hypothetical puncture.

I will add a 12V tyre inflator, that's actually great advice, didn't think that was an option.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 pm

I got one of these for mine, following recommendations on the forum.
Good price, and can be used as a standard inflator too.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (301.04 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ming

Post by Ming » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Ditched the OE run flats and replaced with 4 Vredestein Ultrac Vortis and they're phenomenal in the wet and dry. Got caught in a massive thunderstorm last week and they coped with flooded roads, gravel and rocks washed over the road and not one slip.
Now I just to figure out a way of removing the grass etc that have dried on the rad and intercooler behind the grille. Hoover attachments won't fit and I don't really want to poke a stick through the gaps in case the soft metal gets damaged.
Maybe an airline at a petrol station?
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving: