Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M sports suspension vs standard

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ilogik

Post by Ilogik » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:37 am

I’ve got an e86, tears shocks died so getting it replaced with some Billstein B4s. Just wondering will it matter if I’ve got m sport or not? Is there anything different? Been trying to get some dust covers and noticed bump stops but not sure what I need or what I’ve got.

So if anyone can help a retard, much appreciated :)

Davz

Post by Davz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 pm

nope, won't matter that you have m sport springs. Best to replace bump stops and dust covers. Have you purchased shock mounts? For the rear only fit lemforder as they don't knock unlike meyle. If you want to improve the ride you could consider eibach springs instead of using the msport springs. Try Autodoc.com for parts if you are having trouble sourcing in the uk
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Ilogik

Post by Ilogik » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Not purchased shock mounts, I’ve got eibech springs already so that’s good news. Been trying to find new dust covers on Ecp but can’t seem to find them. They get fitted THursday so could do with them ASAP if you know of anywhere else
Davz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 pm nope, won't matter that you have m sport springs. Best to replace bump stops and dust covers. Have you purchased shock mounts? For the rear only fit lemforder as they don't knock unlike meyle. If you want to improve the ride you could consider eibach springs instead of using the msport springs. Try Autodoc.com for parts if you are having trouble sourcing in the uk

Davz

Post by Davz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 pm

I'd get on to yell.com and try local motor factors, they can usually get parts next day. If you have a Bennetts try them, better prices than ecp and next day collection.
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Ilogik

Post by Ilogik » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Davz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 pm I'd get on to yell.com and try local motor factors, they can usually get parts next day. If you have a Bennetts try them, better prices than ecp and next day collection.
Managed to get these delivered, any experience?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Shock-A ... 2749.l2649

Jonlane

Post by Jonlane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Davz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 pm nope, won't matter that you have m sport springs. Best to replace bump stops and dust covers. Have you purchased shock mounts? For the rear only fit lemforder as they don't knock unlike meyle. If you want to improve the ride you could consider eibach springs instead of using the msport springs. Try Autodoc.com for parts if you are having trouble sourcing in the uk
Sorry to jump the thread but I’m in a similar position to the OP, however my car is a 3.0si (with the 704 M Sport suspension) . The shocks are buggered and I’ve spent all day reading differing opinions on replacements . I’m sort of leaning towards the B4’s and Eibach springs as I think it’s a hard enough ride as it is . Any chance someone could clarify which Eibach springs are suitable ?
Sorry if this has been done to death but the more I read the more confused I get, B4,B6’s and B8,s with a multitude of spring options.
I suppose what I’m saying is I’d like to refresh the suspension and I’m utterly confused on which way to go, cost is a factor but I’m not looking at B4’s for the cheap option just something similar to OEM M Sport setup.
Thoughts and advice would be most welcome !

Ilogik

Post by Ilogik » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:03 pm

Bloody garage couldn't get the shocks in, been a hold back on the bill steins.

Half tempted to order a full set and get the fronts done at the same time now, anyone got any links? maybe go coilovers instead?

Davz

Post by Davz » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 pm

Ilogik wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:03 pm Bloody garage couldn't get the shocks in, been a hold back on the bill steins.
They can be tricky to get hold of, I ended up getting 2 from poland and 2 from the uk. Autodoc may have them in but be careful they sent me sachs despite ordering B4's, I had real trouble getting them to take them back, luckily I paid using a credit card and threatened them with involving the cc company.

Davz

Post by Davz » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Jonlane wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:45 pm Any chance someone could clarify which Eibach springs are suitable ?
There are only two sets of eibach available, one set is for the Z4M and is not for an ordinary zed, the other set will fit all Z4's except the Z4M.
B4's are, from what I have read, very slightly uprated damping, about 10%, the B6 is quite a bit firmer. If you are intending on using the zed on a track regularly then the B6 would be your best option, if not the B4 is the best choice on our pot holed roads.

davegt

Post by davegt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:15 pm

I'd personally avoid Autodoc like the plague. I ordered disc's back in Feb (based on reg and listings for my car) and had to return them after they didn't fit - 6 months later and i'm still trying to get a refund, possibly ok when everything goes well but their customer service when things go wrong is terrible from my experience, currently £175 out of pocket.
Daily: 2022 Mercedes GLB mileage muncher
Weekend: 2010 E89 35i, Stubby, Black Grills, Milltek exhaust, DCI, Carplay, BC Coilovers, Black Aluwerk 19" Alloys. (Parts sat collecting dust: IS diffuser, m4 carbon spoiler, FMIC)