Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheels sits askew, normal or not?

"M" Specific discussion
Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 pm

:driving:
I’ve just installed a set of KW V3 and GC camber plates.
4-wheel alignment was done with moderate settings (front camber -2,1, total toe 0,10) and everything looks good.
I’m very happy with the result but there is one oddity I have to check with you guys. The front wheels look like they are positioned unevenly, and when measuring you see that the right wheel sits about 7 mm more inwards than the left at the spindle. My front wheels, Arc-8, have the same ET (38).

Have you guys seen this on your Z4M:s, ie this is normal?
If not, is there some way to adjust it?

(I’ve had the car since 2008 and it has never been in an accident.)
Z4 MC 07 / A08 Silver grey / Black interior w Carbon leather / VT+RE mounts / 10.9 / cdv- / RPi / Cup2 / Arc-8 / Lugs / KW V3 / GC camber plates / Vorshlag RTAB limiters / Custom alignment / Aux / Stubby / Mud flaps /

My Z4MC

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 am

:worthless:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am

You can’t change the camber on these cars so the only thing that I can think of it that the rear control arm Bush is either not seated properly (pushes all the way in) or it is knackered.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:19 am

What’s your reference point for the measurements?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 am

synthedup wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am You can’t change the camber on these cars so the only thing that I can think of it that the rear control arm Bush is either not seated properly (pushes all the way in) or it is knackered.
He’s concerned about the front wheels
S2000 GT - gone

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:56 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 am
synthedup wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am You can’t change the camber on these cars so the only thing that I can think of it that the rear control arm Bush is either not seated properly (pushes all the way in) or it is knackered.
Sorry, I may not had been cleaned. I was referring to the large lollipop bush that’s sits at the rear of the control arm/wishbone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am

Ah, ok. The OP has camber plates so can adjust the camber, but it could be the bush too.

My KW camber plates are set to different positions by about one graduation (on the scale etched onto their top surfaces) when comparing left with right, but the actual measured camber is the same side to side.
S2000 GT - gone

Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:38 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 am:worthless:
Here ya go! :D
First a picture for comparison left and right:

...and some details...

synthedup wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:56 am
BMWZ4MC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 am

Sorry, I may not had been cleaned. I was referring to the large lollipop bush that’s sits at the rear of the control arm/wishbone
Yes, that is possible if the lollipop is totally shot. The pivot angle could make the spindle at the other end move in or out. Whe inspected all the bushes including this and they all looked fine. But you never know.
But would'nt you feel it when driving, or even when pulling the wheel with your hand? And can you really make an alignment if that bushing is so bad?

MrPT wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:19 am What’s your reference point for the measurements?
We meassured the difference between the same point at the strut to the brake disc.
Its also visible when looking at it, se picture above.
Maybe its the more aggressive camber that make it visible? I have not noticed it before

BMWZ4MC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am Ah, ok. The OP has camber plates so can adjust the camber, but it could be the bush too.

My KW camber plates are set to different positions by about one graduation (on the scale etched onto their top surfaces) when comparing left with right, but the actual measured camber is the same side to side.
Aha, my GC-plates looks exactly like this to, and the camber is the same! I belive we are on to something here. If both camber plates is installed at the exact same place in the strut tower then there must be some difference below at the spindle. To make up for that difference you have to set the camber plates at different positions.
Maybe our cars are built like this? My mechanic could name some car models that are very different from side to side and are built that way.
Z4 MC 07 / A08 Silver grey / Black interior w Carbon leather / VT+RE mounts / 10.9 / cdv- / RPi / Cup2 / Arc-8 / Lugs / KW V3 / GC camber plates / Vorshlag RTAB limiters / Custom alignment / Aux / Stubby / Mud flaps /

My Z4MC

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 pm

Get someone to sit in the drivers seat and have a look, if it's been corner weighted they don't sit right without the weight in there :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:56 pm

RedUn wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 pm Get someone to sit in the drivers seat and have a look, if it's been corner weighted they don't sit right without the weight in there :thumbsup:
Ok, thanks, I’ll try that. It is corner weighted but it was already perfect so we did’nt have to change anything.

My Z4MC

Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:29 am

I just want to add that this kit from KW is fantastic!
Wonky wheels or not, I could not hope for better handling and the rear is perfectly tamed and under control.
As they say, - totally epic! :thumbsup:

My Z4MC

beanie

Post by beanie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Wheel position aside, the underside looks very tidy. :thumbsup:
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Yeddheng

Post by Yeddheng » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks man! :)

Maybe we should have a poll on how much difference in offset our wheels really have? :fuelfire:

My Z4MC

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Mine are pretty even, I can tell as it's worn through the arch liners a similar amount each side! :evil: :rofl:
IMOLA Z4///MR

Frentz

Post by Frentz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Yeddheng wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 pm and GC camber plates.
Hi, how are you getting on with them?
which ones did you get?

how far have you traveled? are they noisy?

also, question for everyone: do you know fixed, non-adjustable, camber plates for the M? I found them only for the others.

Thank you
Z4 M roadster, 2006, saphirshwarz / Sepang Bronze Hell full walknappa (LTA8)