Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just bought a Mini (2012) one d as a learner looking for Tips.

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 pm

So, after narrowing down the choice finally landed on a mini as a 1st car to teach my daughters how to drive.

Looking for tips n tricks if any of you guys own one. First issue... how do I connect their iPhones :lol:

The blue tooth works for calls but the display says usb lead not supported when trying to play
Music :headbang:

Reading up on it there appears to be a dedicated lead sold specifically for minis to connect with, looked them up and they are £60 👀

Is that my only option ...

Any advice on how to overcome this?
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but personally I think teaching them to drive needs to be the priority.

Then once they can perhaps they will be able to cope with distractions like music and calls! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 pm

It is the main objective but no reason not to set them up for success. :driving:

The other issue is they can’t drive it yet for another month so i will be having some mini fun and I want my phone connected for testing purposes :P

Reading up it sounds a bit temperamental even using the official lead which sells for £60 OMG! So may not be worth the hassle :lol:
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Ozyboyross

Post by Ozyboyross » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:12 am

JimsZ wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 pm It is the main objective but no reason not to set them up for success. :driving:

The other issue is they can’t drive it yet for another month so i will be having some mini fun and I want my phone connected for testing purposes :P

Reading up it sounds a bit temperamental even using the official lead which sells for £60 OMG! So may not be worth the hassle :lol:
My wife has a paceman, Great car, we use it as the family hack! but the bluetooth is for calls only, its very similar to the system in the e90 BMWs.

Yes you do need a dedicated lead, but the BMW one is the same and shares the same part number, we picked one up for £25 on eBay, Works great, charges your phone etc.

The non genuine leads apparently dont work very well so we didnt bother wasting our money on them!
Currently Zedless but hopefully not for long!

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Appreciate the feedback thank you.

Will look for a genuine one then and try and get a better price then £60!

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:09 am

Well after some advice from a friend it looks like this is the recommendation.

He says hard wiring overcomes the battery issue and bobs your uncle. We will see :lol:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Wir ... 9717615765

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:07 pm

JimsZ wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 pm So, after narrowing down the choice finally landed on a mini as a 1st car to teach my daughters how to drive.

Looking for tips n tricks if any of you guys own one. First issue... how do I connect their iPhones :lol:

The blue tooth works for calls but the display says usb lead not supported when trying to play
Music :headbang:

Reading up on it there appears to be a dedicated lead sold specifically for minis to connect with, looked them up and they are £60 👀

Is that my only option ...

Any advice on how to overcome this?
It looks like you might already have something sorted but came across this when looking at something else. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for or maybe get one for a backup

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-Genuine ... Swf15aXiPQ

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:06 pm

Thanks for that, I have just received the adapter so will update how I get on. It reads positive and says you can connect two phones at the same time so fingers crossed.

My next challenge, do I start a new post or
    Not...

The current tyres while all legal seem to leave me feeling they are as they say on the tyre wall, economy tyres and basically lack in grip and feeling. Two are low and two are good so the plan would be to change a pair and fit to the front to improve confidence in grip and feel.

So my question to you guys is l.. what would you put on as a premium tyre that suits the
    Mini.. any gurus as google is proving useless, too many choices 🤣

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:17 pm

JimsZ wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:06 pm Thanks for that, I have just received the adapter so will update how I get on. It reads positive and says you can connect two phones at the same time so fingers crossed.

My next challenge, do I start a new post or
    Not...

The current tyres while all legal seem to leave me feeling they are as they say on the tyre wall, economy tyres and basically lack in grip and feeling. Two are low and two are good so the plan would be to change a pair and fit to the front to improve confidence in grip and feel.

So my question to you guys is l.. what would you put on as a premium tyre that suits the
    Mini.. any gurus as google is proving useless, too many choices 🤣
    We had a 2012 clubman & fitted uniroyal rainsport tyres when the oem Michelins wore out, they were very good for the money, by the way Carly works on minis as well as bmw :driving:
    40D3FF36-B0C2-47BC-A1B2-6CAC6EFCC365.jpeg
    40D3FF36-B0C2-47BC-A1B2-6CAC6EFCC365.jpeg (540.36 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks Smartbear. My neighbour has one of those 👍

My little gadget works amazingly well on first set up so pleased.

As does the CD mount phone holder, getting one for the Z4 too. No idea why I left it this long 😩🤣