Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mr Tidy's MC Thread - 4 Years On!

"M" Specific discussion
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Mr Tidy's MC Thread - Smaller Steps Now

Post by MrPT » Thu May 21, 2020 5:39 pm

mmm-five wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:27 pm
MrPT wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:16 pmAh yeah but every 4 million fillups you get a free Costa coffee and 50p off a Ginsters, so it’s totally worth it.
It's every 10 fill-ups, and in-between the trigger points you get a random 10p off a tank off a £2 bottle of 20p/bottle water.

...and you get to offset your carbon emissions (I think they buy credits from Tesla) - so my 330D is cleaner than my Z4MC :thumbsup:
Hah... don't get me wrong, I still buy the stuff. The free Costa usually ends up in the driver's door bin and footwell. :P
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

blobslosak

Post by blobslosak » Thu May 21, 2020 6:48 pm

abar121 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm OP, good news on the MOT and the droop seems reasonable.

Did you notice any effect removing the CDV?

Cheers.
I'm trying to get my head around this droop business. Surely droop is the same whether the spring collar is in the lowest or highest position on the coilover body.

With the collar (and hence ride height) in lowest position, the spring is probably uncompressed and free to rattle by hand. The damper will fully extend under gravity.

With the collar in the highest position, the spring will be compressed, but pushes the damper downwards so the damper will be fully extended.

So in either configuration, with a wheel dangling in free air, either gravity or the spring will force the wheel and damper down to its full extension no?

What am I missing? Makes my head hurt :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Well I've only done about 100 miles since the CDV came off and while but it does feel slightly better, it's not the sort of "Night and Day" difference I noticed on my 3.0Si.

The suspension thing had been doing my head in too! :lol:

But based on what I have been told even on the highest setting (like mine is) the spring isn't any more compressed because the piston in the damper extends - unless it reaches the end of it's travel, and if that happened then you wouldn't have any droop. Which is why I thought I would measure my droop.

So if you encountered a dip in the road the wheel might briefly leave the ground because there would be no downward suspension travel if the damper was at the limit of it's travel.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bowser134

Post by bowser134 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 pm
abar121 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 pm How much droop travel do you have left on the coil-overs after topping them out?

Too little can be pretty disastrous for both ride and handling.

Have you tried to slack off the damping, particularly compression? Or tried different springs with them?
So a quick update on this as I had the trolley jack out today to swap the wheels on my 3 Series, and once I'd finished I put it under my MC.

Even topped out on the H & R coil-overs I've got about 70mm of droop on the front and 80mm on the rear, so I would have thought that should be enough.

The damping on these units isn't adjustable, only the ride height. I haven't tried different springs because the previous owner bought them as a complete set so I'd expect the springs to be matched to the shocks like a B12 kit.

Now I can use it to go further than the shops I'll see how they feel, but I'm starting to think the Eibach springs that came with the car may be the way to go for a bit of compliance and add some new shocks. Then I need to decide which shocks for longer trips and the occasional B road blast. Bilstein, KW or others? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
Iain,

Was meaning to message you. I drove an MC a couple of weeks ago which had the Bilstein B12 kit fitted and it drove really well. Think that’s made up of Eibach springs and Bilstein B8 dampers so you’d only need the dampers.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm

bowser134 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:25 pm Iain,

Was meaning to message you. I drove an MC a couple of weeks ago which had the Bilstein B12 kit fitted and it drove really well. Think that’s made up of Eibach springs and Bilstein B8 dampers so you’d only need the dampers.
Many thanks Ross, that seems to be the way I will be heading. On our lumpy roads with these H & Rs I keep seeing the T/C light flashing for some reason! :lol:

On a smooth road they are great but smooth roads are few and far between, and usually not the twisty type you would head to for some fun.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

blobslosak

Post by blobslosak » Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 pm Well I've only done about 100 miles since the CDV came off and while but it does feel slightly better, it's not the sort of "Night and Day" difference I noticed on my 3.0Si.

The suspension thing had been doing my head in too! :lol:

But based on what I have been told even on the highest setting (like mine is) the spring isn't any more compressed because the piston in the damper extends - unless it reaches the end of it's travel, and if that happened then you wouldn't have any droop. Which is why I thought I would measure my droop.

So if you encountered a dip in the road the wheel might briefly leave the ground because there would be no downward suspension travel if the damper was at the limit of it's travel.
Ah that makes sense, if in theory you could pre tension the spring enough to get no displacement when you put the car on the ground, you'd have zero droop.

Out of interest, was your spring slightly compressed so you couldn't move it by hand?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 pm

blobslosak wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 pm Out of interest, was your spring slightly compressed so you couldn't move it by hand?
Sorry, I have no idea as Ross did it! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Mr Tidy's MC Thread - Still Getting There!

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Well my car went to Ross for some surgery this morning!

Then this afternoon he sent me a photo of the bearing shells he took out, and I'm glad I decided to get them replaced as now I won't need to worry about them any more. :D (Mileage just short of 78K).
Attachments
Bearing Shells 260820.jpeg
Bearing Shells 260820.jpeg (403.38 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Yep. Good call. :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 pm

So I got the car back from Ross today complete with the old shells and engine mounts in a bag as trophies. :lol:
ETA He said my shells were the worst he has seen to date. :o

It took a bit longer than expected because he noticed the cam-cover gasket he fitted in April was leaking. Luckily BMW replaced it F.O.C. and agreed to pay his labour for swapping it.

So at the sort of mileage I'm doing these days all should be good mechanically for a couple of years!

Just got to sort out the suspension now. I'm thinking of having the H & R springs I've got fitted and buying some Bilsteins - B6 I think.

And as much as I like the CSP Reps there are loads of Coupes with them so I'll probably get the 224s I bought from ag51bye refurbed, but I'm not sure what colour to go for. :roll:

Definitely not black anyway! I like Shadow Chrome but I'm not sure how that would look with Silver Grey. I've also seen wheels in Hyper Silver which might work better - decisions, decisions. :lol:
Last edited by Mr Tidy on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:45 pm

It must all be very stressful Iain having to make all these important decisions. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Thanks for your concern, Ian. :thumbsup:

But seeing as I'm no longer working hopefully I don't have so many decisions to make, so will hopefully manage to muddle through! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Maybe going back to 18s will make the suspension a bit more tolerable?

ColinBR

Post by ColinBR » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Hyper silver without a doubt.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Well hopefully getting the coil-overs off and 18s fitted will make a noticeable difference to the ride quality, as I want to use my Z4 more than I did.

Previously I always did more miles in my 3 Series because it was my "Mum Taxi", but now Mum is in a care home I don't need a car for that role so I can use the Z4 to visit her - now that visits are allowed again.

So I'm thinking I might as well sell the 330i because all I need is a shed I can use for Tesco, B & Q, the tip, etc. without worrying about trolley rash and door dings!

Added bonuses are 18" tyres are cheaper than 19s, and 224s look easier to clean than CSLs. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black