Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Show me your knob (Storm Motorwerks only please!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Frag

Post by Frag » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 am

Hi guys,

reviving that older threads. Would be a good opportunity to know if those held well along those 3 years!!! I want to order one and I saw that you guys ordered some in 2016!

How are they now!?

tug

Post by tug » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 am

mine's still perfect.Image
Attachments
Photo0040.jpg
Photo0040.jpg (176.73 KiB) Viewed 558 times
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

NSM

Post by NSM » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 am

I bought one recently from a forum member so no idea how old but it is a proper piece of kit that will look good in twenty years let alone three. The Storm is solid and heavy and the original is in comparison cheap and nasty. Improves the gear change due to the 'throw' weight.
You will be buying quality.

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:49 pm Ha yes I've read that when changing them some guys look like they've been out mouthing off on a Friday night... :lol:
I did this. Brought water to my eyes and blood to my nose. :dizzy:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Frag

Post by Frag » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:17 pm

Order one in Titanium with the 6 speed + M logo. Cannot wait to put my hand on this...

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:27 pm

I didn't see/realize that I ordered it with the "M" stripe, mine is not an M and I'm not the kind of owner who does such things...though it does have the M sport suspension option. So, I guess it is OK.

Anyway...I had no trouble removing the stock gear shift knob. I guess after 16 years it was ready to be retired. I drove with the new shifter for awhile and then noticed that it had loosened up and was rotating a few degrees, if you would twist it. I hadn't tightened the Allen screws enough. I removed the knob and the screws nest into a groove in the gear shift lever. I may not have had the new knob on far enough before I tightened the screws...Anyway seems to be fitted properly now and I am quite pleased, shifts noticeably nicer now.

If I were machining this (after some use) I would make the radius on the top edge greater. It can feel a little "sharp" at times. Not painfully so but noticeably so. I did go out and buy driving gloves not only for cold days but the car sitting out on a hot day...that could be very uncomfortable for awhile too!
Attachments
IMG_5822.JPG
IMG_5822.JPG (123.05 KiB) Viewed 486 times