Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Downgrade SAT Nav to business CD radio

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rsyed

Post by rsyed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Guys,

anyone downgrade their SAT Nav to a business CD Radio? was it a plug and play? Obviously one can opt to replace the complete dash but on the first step, is it a straight swap of head units if the monitor were to stay?

cheers

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:46 pm

I sold my old business unit to ‘ibasniper’ - I’m sure he said he was downgrading. Might be worth a message.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

ibasniper

Post by ibasniper » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Yep thats me... I downgraded from nav to business and its a straight plug n play. everything works fine
Apart from I don't have the dsp settings at the moment. Hoping to rectify that with carly coding.
I've basically removed the sat nav screen a built a custom holder for a garmin Alex's smartnav.
Cheers Gary

2004 Z4 E85 3.0i se Sapphire Black, with all the extra's
Snapper blue 440i coupe

rsyed

Post by rsyed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:40 pm

excellent news.

why don't you have dsp settings?

i have a z4 with no sat nav from teh factory - just the radio business cd head unit together with the DSP. The head unit can make changes to the DSP setting.

ibasniper

Post by ibasniper » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 pm

Because I swapped the units out, I'm assuming I need to code the dsp amp to the new business stereo. I get music, calls and all sounds through stereo, but no dsp control?? I'm not that bothered as the sound is still pretty good. And the garmin alexa nav is far superior to the antique bmw nav. When I have surround finished I will post some pics
Cheers Gary

2004 Z4 E85 3.0i se Sapphire Black, with all the extra's
Snapper blue 440i coupe

rsyed

Post by rsyed » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 am

i wonder why the the business stereo does not realize that a dsp amp is there... it seems that teh radio is the same regardless of whetehr there is a dsp or not. as long as the car has been coded with dsp (and it is otherwise it would not have worked with the sat nav), the radio should be able to communicate with it. hmmmm