Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service Checklist Advice Needed :: high miler (E86)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:40 am

Yes.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:42 am

If they check everything then you'll know what's required before getting any work done on the car.

If it's the same garage it'll probably not matter but it's a bit of a risk telling a garage to look at the suspension and replace whatever is required to get it driving properly.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

eddiemunster

Post by eddiemunster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:07 am

Z-4-FUN wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:47 pm My assumption would be it's best to get the actual alignment done after the mechanics have finished bashing anything else around.
You're correct; a car is generally setup at full sag, i.e. how it sits on the floor (or on a ramp), and so worn bushes/ball joints that have deteriorated and moved won't stop the car being setup properly. However, it means the instant you introduce torsional forces the geometry will change and the car won't handle correctly.

Occasionally I'd setup a car just to see what's out, before I did suspension work, but if you know you're going to replace shocks/springs/bushes then it makes no economic sense whatsoever to do a setup first.

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Alignment check done... twice!

Having read lots of people complaining about receiving bad alignments despite going to places with Hunter equipment, I thought I'd have 2 places check it out to see if their findings correlated. Checks were free, so why not :wink: Although both places did try a hard sell on making adjustments whilst I was there :headbang:

It seems the 2 checks show different results, or is that just my miscomprehension of the data?

Also, remembering the reason I got this done now was to assess if I might need any work done on suspension etc when I take it in for a service... currently when driving around gentle corners at 60+mph it feels like the steering intermittently pulses to straighten up/fight to go the other way, plus some good old tram lining (non RFT fitted). Does this data show anything of interest? There also seems to be a few little clunks and groans from the suspension (B4 struts on M-Sport Suplex Springs - fitted less than 20k miles ago), but as a new owner I have little reference point to what's expected with these cars.

Garage 1 said the necessary adjustments were relatively minor and they had a knock around under the car and said all looked fine.

Garage 2 didn't look at the state of the suspension at all and were reluctant to let me leave without having adjustments made - which I ignored.

Garage 1

Garage 2

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Oh, and here's a picture of the car. It needs a clean!!!

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Get the alignment done and see how it feels after that or take it to your garage and get them to check all the bushes and suspension components to make sure everything is ok.

Since we now know there's an alignment issue I'd be getting the garage to check everything over just in case something has been missed in the alignment check.

It'd be silly to waste the money on the alignment only to find something else is knackered and then have to get the alignment done again.

Either way you're getting closer to the problem being fixed.

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Garage 1 sound as if they might have a clue.

Garage 2 not so much.

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Pretty sure the steering issue is down to the alignment being out and not the sticky steering that can happen on the pre facelift e85.

Have you had the wheels checked and balanced? I had a bad Goodyear Eagle F1 that was checked on the Hunter Roadforce machine. Tyre was basically egg shaped!

If they have the Roadforce equipment get the wheels balanced and they'll be able to exclude the tyres and wheels from the steering problem.

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm

skelters wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm Garage 1 sound as if they might have a clue.

Garage 2 not so much.
This made me laugh because garage 1 was an independent, garage 2 was... KwikFit. Haha. I would never trust them to actually do any work on my car, but as they proudly promote having Hunter equipment, I thought they would at least be worth a shot for a free check.

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Who would have guessed!

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Is anyone able to shed some light on these error codes? All errors were cleared a week ago, and these are what popped up when re-tested yesterday.

Windows: Interuption :: The windows seem to work fine to me
Alarm... blocked mechanics :: Absolutely no idea what this means
Wiper pump for wheel washing :: "Wheel washing", WTF?

IBUS Transmit error :: ?

Additional heater :: ?

Full Carly log here.

Thanks in advance!

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:16 pm

I suspect you will be better off taking the German description and getting it translated properly :)
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Jl-c wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:16 pm I suspect you will be better off taking the German description and getting it translated properly :)
Thanks for the tip about looking at the original German language messages. Unfortunately, I was kindly using the Carly OBD reader of a fellow forum member , so I don’t have the device to run these tests again.

I'm not 100% sure if you meant I should run the tests and pull the codes natively in German, or just to translate the messages that were displayed in the above photos?

Looking at the above, there's not a huge amount to translate
____

Code: 00000E
Windows: interruption Einklemmschutzleiste Beifahrertuer / Windows: interruption Einklemmschutzleiste or de-normalization / error EKS Electronic Beifahrertuer / HK: Physical or short circuit to U-Batt / COMMON. RELAY NO FAULT

>> Windows: interruption pinch protection strip passenger door / Windows: interruption pinch protection strip or de-normalization / error EKS Electronic passenger door / HK: Physical or short circuit to U-Batt / COMMON. RELAY NO FAULT

_
Code: 000043
Car alarm: interior protection back / FH-engine rear passenger blocked or mechanics stiff

>> Nothing to translate

_
Code: 000038
Wiper: pump for wheel washing or container empty / GM IV: relay adhesive MFFZ signal to ground / SRA line interruption or relay SRA / Wiper front: pump for plate washing or container empty / Failure Control SRA, DRM 2

>> Nothing to translate

_
Code: 00E5C7
Central info display / Zentrales Infodisplay :Communication: IBUS Transmit error

>> Zentrales Infodisplay = Central Information Display

_
Code: 0000DA
Additional heater / Zusatzheizung
This fault results from a generic communication issue in the ECU: Additional heater / Zusatzheizung (Internal GR92)

>> Zusatzheizung = Additional Heater

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:00 pm

For example I don’t think for a minute the literal translation is ‘pump for wheel washing’ can be correct it must mean something else that makes more sense! Possibly headlamp washers? If you don’t have them have a load of options been coded on that you don’t actually have?
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

Z-4-FUN

Post by Z-4-FUN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Doing some internet digging led me to some forums about fault code 000038 relating to the SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) pump.

A dodgy translation where "wheel washer" actually means "headlamp washer" seems far more preferable to a gearbox issue. I do have Xenons, so my car is fitted with headlamp washers 🤞🤞🤞

I think I might hold off doing my own research for the time being!!!