Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sparks ILZFR6D11

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:29 pm
Singapore stag wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm You’d want the grease to be conductive wouldn’t you? It’s how the plugs are grounded in order to spark, an electrically insulated spark plug wouldn’t perform very well :?
Rob
What it meant is if the grease gets on the electrode it wont perform very well.
Rgds
That wouldn’t be a biggie, the grease would burn off fast with combustion temperature. A little grease isn’t a bad idea as seized plugs in the cylinder head can be a nightmare to sort out :cry:
Rob
Really!! Wont want that, is it having to pull the cylinder head out to rectify.
I know how bad a job that is. The Stag Ali heads are really hard to remove because the Metal bolts interact with the Aluminium heads and snap off, a nightmare scenario, someone on the Stag owners club invented a head puller but still a nightmare to get both heads off and they tend to warp. Stags suffer from head gasket failures.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 am

I've always used a small amount of copper grease on plug threads for for years and countless changes without incident.
As Rob suggests, there's nothing worse than dealing with a stubborn sparker!

It's a good idea to check for tightness every once in a while, every 3 months at least or on any sign of a misfire.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:49 am

Chris_D wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 am I've always used a small amount of copper grease on plug threads for for years and countless changes without incident.
As Rob suggests, there's nothing worse than dealing with a stubborn sparker!

It's a good idea to check for tightness every once in a while, every 3 months at least or on any sign of a misfire.
Thanks for the info. Since I got new sparks , I will check them on routine inspections.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am

This is one of those questions that people will go one way or the other depending on what they believe, or have heard. Very first hit on Google about it was this
NGK does not recommend the application of lubricant such as copper grease to spark plug threads as the result is a reduction of frictional forces at the thread faces. .
This explains exactly why you shouldn't use copper/dielectric grease on spark plug threads:
https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/ ... ark-plugs/

I'm not saying don't do it, but based on the advice of the people who make spark plugs, I wouldn't...
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 am

enzed4 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am This is one of those questions that people will go one way or the other depending on what they believe, or have heard. Very first hit on Google about it was this
NGK does not recommend the application of lubricant such as copper grease to spark plug threads as the result is a reduction of frictional forces at the thread faces. .
This explains exactly why you shouldn't use copper/dielectric grease on spark plug threads:

I'm not saying don't do it, but based on the advice of the people who make spark plugs, I wouldn't...
Have you got ngk’s phone number? I’ll give them a call if an ungreased plug seizes in my cylinder head :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:14 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 am
enzed4 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am This is one of those questions that people will go one way or the other depending on what they believe, or have heard. Very first hit on Google about it was this

Have you got ngk’s phone number? I’ll give them a call if an ungreased plug seizes in my cylinder head :P
Rob
I think it's 0800fu**off :rofl:
But seriously, they're not saying the grease is the problem as such, it's overtightening of the spark plugs because of the grease preventing the spark plug from stopping at the correct torque.
So if you don't overtighten, no problem... :wink:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:56 am

enzed4 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:14 am
Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 am
enzed4 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:06 am This is one of those questions that people will go one way or the other depending on what they believe, or have heard. Very first hit on Google about it was this This explains exactly why you shouldn't use copper/dielectric grease on spark plug threads:

Rob
I think it's 0800fu**off :rofl:
But seriously, they're not saying the grease is the problem as such, it's overtightening of the spark plugs because of the grease preventing the spark plug from stopping at the correct torque.
So if you don't overtighten, no problem... :wink:
That’s fine, i worked as a mechanic in a previous life and still have a calibrated elbow :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jl-c

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Jl-c » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 pm

I have always used aluminium grease as heads these days are often aluminium ( sorry yanks you can't spell ! ) and have never in 40+ years had an issue with a) removing the plugs or b) had one come loose. As Smartbear says "seized plugs in the cylinder head can be a nightmare to sort out :cry: "
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

Jl-c

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Jl-c » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Ignore the name ( it does however stick in your mind, about the only thing it sticks to :rofl: ) I use this stuff, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1705630311?iid=233189780300 does a great job and a tub lasts for years, used sparingly. It was made for push-bikes but works great on anything mechanical wise.
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:29 pm
That wouldn’t be a biggie, the grease would burn off fast with combustion temperature. A little grease isn’t a bad idea as seized plugs in the cylinder head can be a nightmare to sort out :cry:
Rob
Tell me about it?????
Many years ago I had a spark plug snap at the thread u'cut - It was a head off and Heli-Coil job to repair the Aluminium, O/Head cam head.
The head also had been fitted with Wills rings so they also needed to be replaced.
The job cost me a lot of time and money - Particularly bad because I was only doing someone a favour!

A little coating of Copper slip is your friend :thumbsup:
Although after reading the article in enzed4's post I might not bother in future!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: