Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sparks ILZFR6D11

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi, I just bought plugs ILZFR6D11 Iridiums, Opie Oil tecnical department when contacted adviced that the gap is preset to 1.1mm.
I mentioned that my Bosch double platinum sparks were set at 1.00mm when I checked them. I was told to adjust them to the Z4 factory setting. If anyone have fitted the ILZFR6D11 to the N52 2.5i what gap did you set it at please.

Also yesterday when I cleaned the Bosch double platinums and the coil packs and then took it for a spin, I noticed the yellow engine light come on, it dissappered when I restarted the car. It has not come on since then, hence my ordering new plugs.
What could it have meant?
I have a theory, I mistakenly used copper grease on a couple of the plugs thread. Could this have been the reason? The symbol nornally represent emissions does it not?
Rgds,

skelters

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by skelters » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Get the codes checked on the car as it'll give you an idea why the engine light came on.

I'd start there in case there's an issue somewhere.

You're better checking for codes a few times per year especially if there's been any work done on the car or a change in performance, fuel economy etc.

You should check the codes, take a note of them, clear the codes, run it a day or two then check to see what comes back.

Anything that comes back is most likely needing looked at.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 pm

skelters wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:54 pm Get the codes checked on the car as it'll give you an idea why the engine light came on.

I'd start there in case there's an issue somewhere.

You're better checking for codes a few times per year especially if there's been any work done on the car or a change in performance, fuel economy etc.

You should check the codes, take a note of them, clear the codes, run it a day or two then check to see what comes back.

Anything that comes back is most likely needing looked at.
Had them checked by garage diagnostics computer no code stored it was clear.
By the way , has the oil filler cap and gasket been superseded? I checked and it gave me this...
Numbers 5 and 6 instead of the original square gasket and cap.
Attachments
s-l1600 (12).jpg
s-l1600 (12).jpg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 706 times

skelters

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by skelters » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Was the oil filler cap and gasket changed on the N52 when the engine covers changed colour from silver to black?
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 pm

skelters wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm Was the oil filler cap and gasket changed on the N52 when the engine covers changed colour from silver to black?
When i bought it it had and still has silver cover and black square filler cap and gasket. It has a slight leak so thinking of replacing them, but could not seem to get the right ones for sale. Went on Realoemnd it shows them to be superseded. Rather have them from stealers then take a chance on Ebay and buy questionable stuff as important as this.
Rgds

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Anyone to comment on the iridium gap setting before my plugs arrive?

skelters

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by skelters » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Phone the local dealer and get the correct part number then buy it from eBay.

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:04 pm

skelters wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:57 pm Phone the local dealer and get the correct part number then buy it from eBay.
Thanks for your help Skelters, most appreciated.
Rgds

skelters

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by skelters » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Singapore stag wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:04 pm
skelters wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:57 pm Phone the local dealer and get the correct part number then buy it from eBay.
Thanks for your help Skelters, most appreciated.
Rgds
You could of course get a price from the dealer and maybe buy it from there if they have it or can order it.

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:06 pm

Had an on line chat with Chiswick BMW, they will ring or email me the part number and price tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm

Got the oil cap from the stealers, it fits on tight and nice, unlike the previous which was loose when screwed on. £17.00.
Rgds

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Singapore stag wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:34 pm Hi, I just bought plugs ILZFR6D11 Iridiums, Opie Oil tecnical department when contacted adviced that the gap is preset to 1.1mm.
I mentioned that my Bosch double platinum sparks were set at 1.00mm when I checked them. I was told to adjust them to the Z4 factory setting. If anyone have fitted the ILZFR6D11 to the N52 2.5i what gap did you set it at please.

Also yesterday when I cleaned the Bosch double platinums and the coil packs and then took it for a spin, I noticed the yellow engine light come on, it dissappered when I restarted the car. It has not come on since then, hence my ordering new plugs.
What could it have meant?
I have a theory, I mistakenly used copper grease on a couple of the plugs thread. Could this have been the reason? The symbol nornally represent emissions does it not?
Rgds,
Hi, An update on the NGK Iridium ILZFR6D11 spark plus.
I rang NGK and spoke to one of their technical advidors. They suggested that I leave the preset gap of 1.1mm as is.
Today I fitted the Iridiums and what a result!! The tick over was stable, constant and lower then before. Engine really running very smooth in all gears, no warning lights and performance was great.
Cleaned out the bores before I placed the plugs in. Had copper grease in it. Will never use the stuff on plugs again.
Several different manuals advice against it, also its conductive.
Rgds

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm

You’d want the grease to be conductive wouldn’t you? It’s how the plugs are grounded in order to spark, an electrically insulated spark plug wouldn’t perform very well :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Singapore stag

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Singapore stag » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm You’d want the grease to be conductive wouldn’t you? It’s how the plugs are grounded in order to spark, an electrically insulated spark plug wouldn’t perform very well :?
Rob
What it meant is if the grease gets on the electrode it wont perform very well.
Rgds

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sparks ILZFR6D11

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Singapore stag wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm You’d want the grease to be conductive wouldn’t you? It’s how the plugs are grounded in order to spark, an electrically insulated spark plug wouldn’t perform very well :?
Rob
What it meant is if the grease gets on the electrode it wont perform very well.
Rgds
That wouldn’t be a biggie, the grease would burn off fast with combustion temperature. A little grease isn’t a bad idea as seized plugs in the cylinder head can be a nightmare to sort out :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold