Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door won't open - Fixed! See First Post

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
allx

Post by allx » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Forgot to mention a quick fix for those who have "door stuck closed", without even disassembling anything. You'll need a stud or spike ~60cm length with a hook bent at one side, a flashlight and window down. With the help of flashlight there will be a bowden visible through the window trim opening, all you have to do is either pull the lower bowden bracing upwards or pry the bowden out of lower bracing if it doesn't help.

lambo911

Post by lambo911 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:38 pm

allx wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:51 pm mattyl1990,
Had the same problem some time ago.
Actually there were 4 attempts to solve it, got a new bowden - 2 months then stuck closed again.
Then got a used latch off ebay - only a week and stuck.
Then got a brand new latch - 1 month and stuck.
And lastly decided to replace handle carrier and finally realised what I did wrong over time, and hope it will help someone:

Long story short there are two variants of upper bowden bracing that without seeing it feel equally right (at least for me). The wrong one (easy to guess which one, I suppose) leads exactly to "not enough room to reset".
This post solved my problem thank you. I changed the bowden cable and had refitted it as per your first photo thinking that was right. It looked ok and the door would work... for a while.
I have just refitted it as per the second photo, which was a right PITA as there is not much roof to get your fingers in! I ended up taking the door handle and it's frame out but now it is all back together and so far so good. :)

danrowlands27

Post by danrowlands27 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:54 pm

Really helpful I think I may have the same issue. Going to give it a go myself and try and resolve.

tmark

Post by tmark » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:46 pm

Hello! I'm a newbie to the forum and recent acquirer of a Sterling Grey 2003 Z4 and was hoping I could get some detail from Ed. My passenger door is stuck closed and I've searched/tried fixes to no avail. I've got the door card removed, have inspected the cables, removed them to manually actuate the lock to no avail. Have also tried putting pressure on the door in/out, down. My next try is the "de-gunking" but not sure where to spray the WD as the OP photo is no longer available. Details/things I've tried:

Lock actuates with both fob and central lock switch
I can move the lever that the interior and exterior door handles manually with no resistance
Disconnected the battery and reconnected to see if that resets
Followed a series of locking/unlocking, removing the connector to the actuator to reset the switch (as I've seen in other posts)
Tapped on the torx screw and the actuator itself to see if releases

Hopefully I haven't missed another suggested fix on the forum. I try to do homework before reaching out but I'm stumped! I've seen another suggestion that the actuator box may need to be "surgically" removed by chiseling it apart but I really don't want to do that. Thanks for any advice you guys might have.

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 am

tmark wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:46 pm I'm a newbie to the forum and recent acquirer of a Sterling Grey 2003 Z4 and was hoping I could get some detail from Ed.
It seems Ed has not been active on the forum since February :idunno:
But once you've made three posts, you'll be able to send him a PM or email. So, how about introducing yourself in the newbie forum and posting a pic of your new zed :thumbsup:
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Jonc

Post by Jonc » Sun May 15, 2022 10:51 pm

Hi, I'm another newbie. Got a pax door that is stuck shut. I have the door card half off, but I'm not sure if I can fully remove this with the door closed?
Re the locking mech, the handle and latch inside moves well, but the door won't budge. Is this the locking mechanism that might shop this or just a gummed up latch?

Maldivesblau

Post by Maldivesblau » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi all.
Got the same problem. Could you guys post the pics on shutterstock again please and share the link?