Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front lower suspension arm advisory, what should I do

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi guys,

Got this advisory on my Z4 3.0 Coupe and was wondering what you guys would suggest doing and the rough cost (wouldn’t be able to do myself):

Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Thank you
Z4 Coupe, 58 plate, black, love it :driving:

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Arms are about £150 a pair for Meyle HD ones. Worth doing them in pairs so the bushes are in similar condition. I'd expect a garage would take a couple of hours to do them both for you. I would personally get an alignment done afterwards but you'll probably get away without to be honest.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

eddiemunster

Post by eddiemunster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm I'd expect a garage would take a couple of hours to do them both for you. I would personally get an alignment done afterwards but you'll probably get away without to be honest.
And the rest!! It's a good 3-4 hours, not least because you'll find that something won't want to come off, particularly if it's on the original wishbones. And, he'll definitely need an alignment as the car will more than have likely been aligned before, albeit with the worn bushes and ball joints, and so "resetting" it back to standard will almost definitely put it out.

eddiemunster

Post by eddiemunster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Jamesw wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:13 pm Hi guys,

Got this advisory on my Z4 3.0 Coupe and was wondering what you guys would suggest doing and the rough cost (wouldn’t be able to do myself):

Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Thank you
It's about 3-4 hours, assuming nothing else is broken and nothing has seized; I don't hang about, and I normally prepare the job the day before with PlusGas etc., and to do the same job as you're talking about took me a solid half-day and I knew what went where, all the torque settings, tools laid out etc....... :D

I'd have it realigned afterwards, I sincerely doubt any mechanic is going to count the threads and make sure it goes back in the same place, and the chances are your ball joint will be so heavily worn that there's little chance the alignment is 100% at the moment. I do a 4w alignment every year, even on a car that only does 2k-3k, and every year it's out enough for me to notice when driving.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm

eddiemunster wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm
Ed Doe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm I'd expect a garage would take a couple of hours to do them both for you. I would personally get an alignment done afterwards but you'll probably get away without to be honest.
And the rest!! It's a good 3-4 hours, not least because you'll find that something won't want to come off, particularly if it's on the original wishbones. And, he'll definitely need an alignment as the car will more than have likely been aligned before, albeit with the worn bushes and ball joints, and so "resetting" it back to standard will almost definitely put it out.
Might take you 3-4h on your drive without the right tools, but it certainly shouldn't take a garage 3-4hours.

As I said, my personal preference would be to get it aligned but if you're not tracking it or driving it enthusiastically that much frankly it'll be fine.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

eddiemunster

Post by eddiemunster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm Might take you 3-4h on your drive without the right tools, but it certainly shouldn't take a garage 3-4hours.
I don't do any work on the drive; and as for right tools, I'd say a development garage in MIRA is adequately equipped for a job like this. A back-street might knock it out in 1-2 hours.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Its an advisory, id suggest ignoring it until it becomes a failure item!

Id just be aware it might need doing in the future... then again, another mot tester might pass it just fine as it is, depends on what mood the tester is in!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Here's a thread from a few years ago, it may help
viewtopic.php?t=107561
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

colb

Post by colb » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Its only going to get worse sooner or later and will have an effect on your tyre wear and tracking,if it was me I would replace the complete arms and that rear bush on both sides of the car. My Z4 came to me with a fresh MOT and it had advisory for the same as yours. Not yet investigated myself to see just how much wear there is but am planning to change both arms and rear bushings when the weather get better. It will be tracked when I do change them by my local tyre place. Are you near any of the Z sheds that members on here run between them, might be worth asking if they would do the job for you.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:57 pm

This was the first things I had done to my Z4 after replacing the tyres.

Meyle HD kit was put on. You'll get prices on the eBay.

The original bushes are were rubber filled with oil and perish over time. Replacing with the Meyle HD kit switches the rubber for Polyurethane bushes so stiffens things up a bit.

You'll also need to get an alignment done after both sides are done. It'll feel like a different car after changing the bushes and getting an alignment. It's well worth doing.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm

colb wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:33 pm Its only going to get worse sooner or later and will have an effect on your tyre wear and tracking,if it was me I would replace the complete arms and that rear bush on both sides of the car. My Z4 came to me with a fresh MOT and it had advisory for the same as yours. Not yet investigated myself to see just how much wear there is but am planning to change both arms and rear bushings when the weather get better. It will be tracked when I do change them by my local tyre place. Are you near any of the Z sheds that members on here run between them, might be worth asking if they would do the job for you.
Thanks for all the useful info guys, I’m not sure where the zed sheds are actually but I’m willing to travel a bit and am pretty flexible on days, I’m usually based in Northampton or Nottingham

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm

skelters wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:57 pm This was the first things I had done to my Z4 after replacing the tyres.

Meyle HD kit was put on. You'll get prices on the eBay.

The original bushes are were rubber filled with oil and perish over time. Replacing with the Meyle HD kit switches the rubber for Polyurethane bushes so stiffens things up a bit.

You'll also need to get an alignment done after both sides are done. It'll feel like a different car after changing the bushes and getting an alignment. It's well worth doing.
I found this for £220 on eBay, looks like it fits the 3.0 coupe
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-Z4-E ... SwjVVVpQWA

skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Looks like the correct part. Maybe drop them a message if you're unsure.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

skelters

Post by skelters » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 pm

I'd also recommend getting an alignment check done yearly mainly due to the state of the roads these days.

I usually have a Hunter Alignment check done around the MOT time as the garage that does it is across the street from where I get the MOT done.

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 am

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm
eddiemunster wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm
Might take you 3-4h on your drive without the right tools, but it certainly shouldn't take a garage 3-4hours.

As I said, my personal preference would be to get it aligned but if you're not tracking it or driving it enthusiastically that much frankly it'll be fine.
The book time is 1.25 hours. I expect a competent mechanic - back street or not - would have no problem with the job.

The Meyle HD arms are £160 on eBay.

EDIT - I did it on the drive and it of course took more than 1.25 hours. But I'm not a professional mechanic.

EDIT 2 - you'll probably want to change the lower wishbone bushes at the same time as it'll make the job easier or at least no harder.