Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dual car insurance policy ???

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
step_change

Post by step_change » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 am

Hi all,
I have a Z4 35is and a 535 MSport (£15000 and £18000ish cars respectively). Both business mileage policies. 20000 a year across both cars in total mileage (business and personal). Fully comp with £300 compulsory excess and £300 "voluntary" excess. No extra add-ons.

I am 52 (very youthful :rofl: ), full no claims and live in a nice area. Z4 always garaged when at home.

£915 with Aviva I paid last Feb 2019, been a customer of theirs for five years. Called them up and that was the best they would do or goodbye. I reckon that's starting to get a bit steep??

Is it worth going dual car policy you reckon? Or should I now split them up? Be interested what you guys pay for you Zeds in a similar position to me

Any thoughts guys?
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:09 am

I would try Admiral and Esure multi car policies to see what prices you can get. With Admiral if i put those two cars, 52 year old male with full no claims living at my address with £300 voluntary excess the price comes out at £835
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am

Direct Line give me good prices for both my cars as separate policies, with a discount for having more than one.
Also have house insurance with them which helps a bit too.

But, of course, my Z is on less miles and no business use on either car, so not a true comparison with yours.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm

I've tried getting multi-car quotes a couple of times and both times they were competitive with one car, but not the other so I ended up insuring them separately each time.

This April the best quote I could find for my 330i was with Churchill (£328), and when my Z4 came up for renewal in June Chris Knott's price had gone up again. Despite declaring a couple of mods (exhaust and wheels) Churchill were cheaper for that as well at £337.

But I don't have business use as I no longer work (I'm 60), and mileages are much lower. Although so is my excess at £300 in total! Protected full NCD with Legal Expenses but no Breakdown cover as I do that with RAC since it covers any car I am in.

I'd just get on a comparison website - I would hope you could do better than what Aviva are asking for. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 pm

We have used multi car policies for a good few years. They work really well for us. We were with direct line but that crept up, So last year we switched every thing to LV. Saved around 30% compared to the best we could get out of direct line. I expect it will creep up, just like they all do, over the next few years and then we will move the whole lot over again.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Deffo worth a go. I insure the Zed, a CRV and a Fiesta for £545 a year. Admiral multi car. Push hard for discounts once you get the initial quote as they have lots of levers to pull.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:09 am

I have a multi car policy with Esure, covers the Z and the IQ and works out about £460 a year with protected NCD. Just renewed the IQ part of the policy, shopped around first and then rang them up and got £60 off the renewal quote.... be prepared to haggle! :violent1:

Mind Bomb

Post by Mind Bomb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:31 am

I dont know much about 'business miles' so not really sure if thats a lot - but it does seem steep mind..

I use the obvious sites each year (confused.com mostly, so i dont have to re-enter my details each year), about 1 month before my insurance is due and i pay about £400 combined for both cars. now on different policies as the combined ones ended up more expensive.

my weekend car is a 91' mercedes SL - with Lancaster insurance at £175 but thats on a 3k mileage a year. The 3.0 Zed was £200 with Hastings Direct - they always seem to be good with prices, and ive been with them for a few years (although only because they come up cheapest on confused.com)

I'm a year younger than you (woohoo!) but similarly live in a nice area - though it is next door to Margate ;) - the Merc is garaged and the Zed on the drive.

Ive found sorting out the insurance a month before its due does lower the price considerably. I bought a BMW 645ci a while back and i was quoted £1200 - i didnt pay that kind of money in my teens! - so i changed the cover start date to a month later and it came in at £300.

Theres a very good article on the moneysavingexpert website about car insurance. well worth a read. thats where i got the '1 month in advance' thing from...
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:43 am

With Admiral on a Multi policy I currently have

Alpina (3kmiles)
ZMR (3k Miles)
E89 2.0 (10k Miles)
BMW 520d Tourer (16k bus miles)

All of these come to just under £800 total. Similar to the OP I’m early 50’s and years of NCB
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)