Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fifth gear z4’s

Discussing the current generation Z4
maxman

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by maxman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 pm

You can't believe it when they summarise the common faults ie e89 z4 being head gasket and coil packs.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 am

maxman wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 pm You can't believe it when they summarise the common faults ie e89 z4 being head gasket and coil packs.
I thought they said coil packs & cam cover gasket? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Maniac » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:59 am

R.E92 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:46 pm
Maniac wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm Shocked this thread isn’t filled with 35iS owners objecting to Vicky stating the top of the line model has 306hp.
Not seen you on here for a while. Did you ever get the problem with your car sorted?
No one seems to know what’s wrong with it. Still have it tho as it’s paid for and anything I want to move into is going to set me back £500+ a month.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Maniac » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:00 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 am
maxman wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 pm You can't believe it when they summarise the common faults ie e89 z4 being head gasket and coil packs.
I thought they said coil packs & cam cover gasket? :?
Rob
They did, and that’s the 23/30 because that list is a lot longer for 35i/iS!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by flybobbie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Let's face it most cars will have a long list of faults.
Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with them as they happen.
At least with forums we can try to prevent or fix problems cheaply.
I just noticed a small weep of oil into no.4 spark plug hole, but not panicking yet as car as done 84k miles.

R.E92

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by R.E92 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 am

Maniac wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:59 am
Maniac wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm Shocked this thread isn’t filled with 35iS owners objecting to Vicky stating the top of the line model has 306hp.
Not seen you on here for a while. Did you ever get the problem with your car sorted?
No one seems to know what’s wrong with it. Still have it tho as it’s paid for and anything I want to move into is going to set me back £500+ a month.
I remember looking at the logs for your car and not being able to see any obvious problems. The problem was that the car felt like it was losing power during shifts?

If you want I can customise your stock tune and see if the problems clear up. I did notice that in your stock maps the car overshoots boost target a little and the fuel trims are quite far off base. Those aren't major issues but I'm as curious as you are to see a resolution.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Well I managed to record the repeat on Quest on Sunday night, but didn't get around to watching it until today.

The 3 test criteria for the G29 comparison were a bit limited, but it was interesting that despite the TTRS being slightly quicker round their track both JP and KC preferred how the G29 drove!

But VBH's review of older generations was pretty daft - why would you compare a 23i with a Cayman S? :?

About as useful as her E85 comparison using 3 litre prices when she was driving an M! :headbang:

I hope people do a bit of research of their own.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Jembo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:46 pm Well I managed to record the repeat on Quest on Sunday night, but didn't get around to watching it until today.

The 3 test criteria for the G29 comparison were a bit limited, but it was interesting that despite the TTRS being slightly quicker round their track both JP and KC preferred how the G29 drove!

But VBH's review of older generations was pretty daft - why would you compare a 23i with a Cayman S? :?

About as useful as her E85 comparison using 3 litre prices when she was driving an M! :headbang:

I hope people do a bit of research of their own.
I forgive her as she still looks a ‘fit’ bird after all this time
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Jembo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 pm I forgive her as she still looks a ‘fit’ bird after all this time
How shallow! :o

I wonder what Suzy Perry is doing these days? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Jembo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 pm
Jembo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 pm I forgive her as she still looks a ‘fit’ bird after all this time
How shallow! :o

I wonder what Suzy Perry is doing these days? :lol:
As per the Pistols, I don’t care :wink:

As for your Suzi, seams to have weathered even better
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Alpina 98

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Alpina 98 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:06 pm

I have just noticed this video is now on YouTube

https://youtu.be/vMRhz0a0yso

A folding roof or two kangaroos! What would you choose? 🦘🦘
I'm going to bed early on New Years Eve
Not wishing to toast the New Tier in.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by Maniac » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 pm

R.E92 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 am
Maniac wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:59 am

I remember looking at the logs for your car and not being able to see any obvious problems. The problem was that the car felt like it was losing power during shifts?

If you want I can customise your stock tune and see if the problems clear up. I did notice that in your stock maps the car overshoots boost target a little and the fuel trims are quite far off base. Those aren't major issues but I'm as curious as you are to see a resolution.
It’s a generous offer but I think the issue is so severe that it has to be a hardware issue and I just need to find someone that’s up to speed on what could be wrong with the hardware and fix it.

Eg inlet issues or boost pipe work, sensors or damage to turbos etc

It is a very odd issue and so far no one has been able to locate the fault. You’re right in that the most detectable issue is severe power loss on upshifts as if traction control kicks in (which it doesn’t).

But it’s not the only fault, there are also kangaroo starts when cold and power drops in sport mode as if it’s final up shift provides less power in a gear.

Darren wood stockport is my last ditch attempt when I get time to get it over there.

R.E92

Fifth gear z4’s

Post by R.E92 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:41 am

Maniac wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 pm
R.E92 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 am
Maniac wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:59 am No one seems to know what’s wrong with it. Still have it tho as it’s paid for and anything I want to move into is going to set me back £500+ a month.

It’s a generous offer but I think the issue is so severe that it has to be a hardware issue and I just need to find someone that’s up to speed on what could be wrong with the hardware and fix it.

Eg inlet issues or boost pipe work, sensors or damage to turbos etc

It is a very odd issue and so far no one has been able to locate the fault. You’re right in that the most detectable issue is severe power loss on upshifts as if traction control kicks in (which it doesn’t).

But it’s not the only fault, there are also kangaroo starts when cold and power drops in sport mode as if it’s final up shift provides less power in a gear.

Darren wood stockport is my last ditch attempt when I get time to get it over there.
Darren Wood is great. I dealt with Mike when I visited and he's a proper BMW geek. Hopefully he spots something straight forward like a leak in the intake pipework.

You should call up and book a Saturday for a diagnosis session, that way you avoid all the traffic.