Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding Remote Window Close and Folding Mirrors

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:57 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm I’m giving you 10 to 1 odds that Carly and Carista will never code your roof to close! :thumbsup:
I can't see any logical reason why, if it can code to close with the key, code to close the windows / mirrors with remote and code to close the roof at X MPH then I can't see why the roof can't close. But in any case if it doesn't happen I am not too bothered my main criteria was to close the windows and fold the mirrors which it has done BUT I thought if this can work it will help many others out without having to spend 200 or 300 on a SmartTop.
If I could find a smarttop for 2-300 I'd buy it today :lol:
I thought that the roof up speed increase was only brought about by later E89's having stronger roof mechanisms. IE, if you have an earlier model it's not designed to go up safely at 40km/h.
Having said that, I believe it would be more of a butt-covering restriction and I haven't read of anyone damaging their early-model E89 roof by opening/closing at 40km/h.
I've had the same success as you with Carly as far as the window/mirror/roof functions go, and unfortunately the same failure as far as closing the roof via the fob.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:18 am

[/quote]If I could find a smarttop for 2-300 I'd buy it today :lol:
I thought that the roof up speed increase was only brought about by later E89's having stronger roof mechanisms. IE, if you have an earlier model it's not designed to go up safely at 40km/h.
Having said that, I believe it would be more of a butt-covering restriction and I haven't read of anyone damaging their early-model E89 roof by opening/closing at 40km/h.
I've had the same success as you with Carly as far as the window/mirror/roof functions go, and unfortunately the same failure as far as closing the roof via the fob.
[/quote]

I do wonder if there will be any damage by putting the roof up at speed and I don't really see myself using that feature much.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:43 am

Silverstar wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:18 am
If I could find a smarttop for 2-300 I'd buy it today :lol:
[/quote]

I do wonder if there will be any damage by putting the roof up at speed and I don't really see myself using that feature much.
[/quote]

The roof mechanism was strengthened in 2012 i believe :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

bmw665

Post by bmw665 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:59 am

One other option is to check out the following. Looks like they have coding options and can even assist if needed. If anyone has input on Bimmer Tech let's hear it

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-z4-e89

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:44 pm

I bought a OBD K+Dcan cable with the ISTA, INPA,NCSExpert software, after initially having problems with a faulty lead, Last night i managed to set the mirrors to fold and windows to close on locking, as soon as I get chance I will post again with instructions on how to do the coding
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Chippie wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:44 pm I bought a OBD K+Dcan cable with the ISTA, INPA,NCSExpert software, after initially having problems with a faulty lead, Last night i managed to set the mirrors to fold and windows to close on locking, as soon as I get chance I will post again with instructions on how to do the coding
:thumbsup: well done
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Dub

Post by Dub » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:22 am

In case anyone comes across this again regarding the folding mirrors and Carly.

The 3 times I have seen or done this myself, the three options one in CAS and the others in the doors and windows ECU have to be done twice before it actually works, the non obvious option is the delay folding (mirrors) below the option in doors and windows I've found setting it to 0 is best.

So make the changes. Save to car. Start car. Stop car. Go back in and read from ecu. They may or may not be set correctly. If they aren't set them again, if they are, save to car again. And this time it will work.

Hold lock for slightly less than a second and they will close and then unlock they open instantly.

Hope this helps as I have seen others try once and it also hasn't worked, doing it a second time did. :thumbsup:
Current
E89 Mineral-White Metallic 35is

Previous
E89 Alpine White 2.8i

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm

below is the procedure I used to code the folding mirrors, I think there are different versions of NCSexpert so some of the menus may be different

1. Launch NCS Expert software. Click “File” -> “Load profile” -> “Revtors Expert Profile”, then click OK.

2. Click the “VIN/ZCS/FA” Button (F1). Then “FA/ZCS/ECU”. Then choose your vehicle body type (E89)

3. Select “CAS” and click OK. ? it may take a while to process

4. Click “Back” (F6)

5. Click “process ECU”

6. Select module to work with (CAS, FRM,NFRM) and click OK

7. Click “Back”

8. Select module “CAS” and click ok

9. Click “change job” (F2) choose “CODIFRINDATEN_LESSEN”, then click ”execute job”

10. Next open file explorer and navigate to “Windows C > NCSExpert > work” folder and open “FSW_PSW.TRC “ file (open with notepad and “save as” “CAS_FSW_PSW.TRC” to a” backup “ folder you can create in the ” work” folder,( then close and reopen the original “FSW_PSW.TRC” file )
11. Next locate the text line you wish to alter (for folding mirrors when locking) FH_KOMFORTF_MIT_SUBST (use “file->edit->find” to locate ) and delete the “nicht” part of “nicht_aktiv” to just leave “aktiv”

12. Click “file->save as” and rename as “FSW_PSW.MAN “ click ok, click yes if prompted to replace it

13. Go back to NCS Expert and click “change Job” and select “SG_CODIEREN” click OK

14. Click “Execute job” this will then write to “CAS” module, the idrive will then close and reboot

15. To complete the programming For folding mirrors go back to stage 5 above and repeat the procedure for the “NFRM” module and find “ASP_EINKLAPPEN” and alter to “active” (saving a copy as “NFRM_PSW.TRC” , this gives you a copy of both modules you have altered in case you need to re set the original for any reason, simply “save as “,“FSW_PSW.MAN” back to the “work” folder and re run “SG_CODIEREN” )

16. If you wish to keep a backup every time you make a change then simply save a copy as “CAS1_FSW_PSW.TRC” “CAS2_FSW_PSW.TRC” “CAS3_FSW_PSW.TRC” etc. or whichever module you are working on.

CAS module close windows
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_PA > active
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB >active
I used NCSdummie for coding the windows and didn't really take note of what I altered but looking at the FSW_PSW file I can only think it is the above.
hope this is useful to someone.
please note you do this at your own risk.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Leek78

Post by Leek78 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 am

Dub wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:22 am In case anyone comes across this again regarding the folding mirrors and Carly.

The 3 times I have seen or done this myself, the three options one in CAS and the others in the doors and windows ECU have to be done twice before it actually works, the non obvious option is the delay folding (mirrors) below the option in doors and windows I've found setting it to 0 is best.

So make the changes. Save to car. Start car. Stop car. Go back in and read from ecu. They may or may not be set correctly. If they aren't set them again, if they are, save to car again. And this time it will work.

Hold lock for slightly less than a second and they will close and then unlock they open instantly.

Hope this helps as I have seen others try once and it also hasn't worked, doing it a second time did. :thumbsup:
What line did you alter to change the delay to 0 ?
2012 2.0 white S drive M sport, 19'' 9J & 10J M5 343 replicas, Diamond grill, i-drive, Stage 1, stubby, :thumbsup:

jonrx7uk

Post by jonrx7uk » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am

Chippie wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm below is the procedure I used to code the folding mirrors, I think there are different versions of NCSexpert so some of the menus may be different

1. Launch NCS Expert software. Click “File” -> “Load profile” -> “Revtors Expert Profile”, then click OK.

2. Click the “VIN/ZCS/FA” Button (F1). Then “FA/ZCS/ECU”. Then choose your vehicle body type (E89)

4. Click “Back” (F6)

5. Click “process ECU”

7. Click “Back”

9. Click “change job” (F2) choose “CODIFRINDATEN_LESSEN”, then click ”execute job”

10. Next open file explorer and navigate to “Windows C > NCSExpert > work” folder and open “FSW_PSW.TRC “ file (open with notepad and “save as” “CAS_FSW_PSW.TRC” to a” backup “ folder you can create in the ” work” folder,( then close and reopen the original “FSW_PSW.TRC” file )
11. Next locate the text line you wish to alter (for folding mirrors when locking) FH_KOMFORTF_MIT_SUBST (use “file->edit->find” to locate ) and delete the “nicht” part of “nicht_aktiv” to just leave “aktiv”

12. Click “file->save as” and rename as “FSW_PSW.MAN “ click ok, click yes if prompted to replace it

13. Go back to NCS Expert and click “change Job” and select “SG_CODIEREN” click OK

14. Click “Execute job” this will then write to “CAS” module, the idrive will then close and reboot

15. To complete the programming For folding mirrors go back to stage 5 above and repeat the procedure for the “NFRM” module and find “ASP_EINKLAPPEN” and alter to “active” (saving a copy as “NFRM_PSW.TRC” , this gives you a copy of both modules you have altered in case you need to re set the original for any reason, simply “save as “,“FSW_PSW.MAN” back to the “work” folder and re run “SG_CODIEREN” )

16. If you wish to keep a backup every time you make a change then simply save a copy as “CAS1_FSW_PSW.TRC” “CAS2_FSW_PSW.TRC” “CAS3_FSW_PSW.TRC” etc. or whichever module you are working on.

CAS module close windows
I used NCSdummie for coding the windows and didn't really take note of what I altered but looking at the FSW_PSW file I can only think it is the above.
Yep, i can confirm this works ok (windows closing and mirrors folding with a 1 sec press on the fob).
CAS module
FH_KOMFORTF_MIT_SUBST > active

NFRM module
ASP_EINKLAPPEN >active

Also did the dash digital speedo whilst at it:-
KOMBI module
BC_DIGITAL_V >active
E89 2.0i LCI - Valencia Orange

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:21 am

jonrx7uk wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:17 am
Chippie wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm below is the procedure I used to code the folding mirrors, I think there are different versions of NCSexpert so some of the menus may be different

4. Click “Back” (F6)

5. Click “process ECU”

7. Click “Back”

CAS module close windows
Yep, i can confirm this works ok (windows closing and mirrors folding with a 1 sec press on the fob).
CAS module
FH_KOMFORTF_MIT_SUBST > active

NFRM module
ASP_EINKLAPPEN >active

Also did the dash digital speedo whilst at it:-
KOMBI module
BC_DIGITAL_V >active
Fun fact about the digital speedo, the other day I discovered it also back when going backwards! :o

bmw665

Post by bmw665 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 am

I also went down the Carly route only to find that I couldn't put the top down with the key FOB. I would like to find a solution and feel the same way about the smart top. Why add more hardware when its just updating the code. Is the Carly OBDII hardware compatible with Carista software?

oh btw, when I asked Carly specifically if they could code the top control using the key FOB they said to look in the manual , over and over again. They final admitted they haven't spent the time to code it into their product. I don't believe this is even on their list.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 am

bmw665 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 am I also went down the Carly route only to find that I couldn't put the top down with the key FOB. I would like to find a solution and feel the same way about the smart top. Why add more hardware when its just updating the code. Is the Carly OBDII hardware compatible with Carista software?

oh btw, when I asked Carly specifically if they could code the top control using the key FOB they said to look in the manual , over and over again. They final admitted they haven't spent the time to code it into their product. I don't believe this is even on their list.
That's weird, putting the top down is built in from the factory as far as I know. I don't think you need Carly to enable it. Can't remember but I'm pretty sure mine worked before I started coding it with Carly.
The big problem is putting the roof UP - there seems to be no option other than Smarttop to do this, ie, it can't be coded.

Edit: This is never ending. Just found this post on YT in reply to a "its joel" video where Joel has coded the roof down & up on his E85 (didn't know you could do that on the E85 without a RCH+ module):
E89: I used Carly to code the roof open and close while driving and used the battery reset to change and register a new battery - that paid for the app and adapter. Very happy with it.
Who knows what to believe - maybe the person meant E85 :? (although I usually apply the least reliability to YT comments)

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:46 am

bmw665 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 am I also went down the Carly route only to find that I couldn't put the top down with the key FOB. I would like to find a solution and feel the same way about the smart top. Why add more hardware when its just updating the code. Is the Carly OBDII hardware compatible with Carista software?

Actually this has been mentioned before here (roof up, not down as you mentioned), but it seems with carly you need to hold the button to get the roof to go up, whereas with RCH you press the button 3 times and it does the rest for you

viewtopic.php?t=97450

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:13 am

The roof opening with the key fob is a standard feature you shouldn't need to do any coding for that. The question is for getting the roof to close with the remote. I have found couple of coders who managed to code this to the E93 using laptop probably INSTA or NCS (I am guessing), Carista also told me that they have many users who have managed to code their E93 to close with the remote using Carista. I have not spent anymore time on this but I still suspect that with some alteration in the coding it must be possible to get the roof to close since all the hardware to do it is there and the E89 is closely matched to the E93. I spoke to one of the coders who have done this for the E93 and he said obviously he would have to plug the computer to the E89 to know for sure but he thought it would be possible too, only problem is he is in London and I am in Spain, so I dont think that will happen anytime soon! :lol: Carista told me that they will be updating the app so that user can alter code or add code like an expert mode and then there will be possibilities do much more stuff.