Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dripping

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Broads

Dripping

Post by Broads » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:20 am

Morning all,

I wanted to check with you guys if this is something to be concerned with, or if this is normal operation.
This morning I pulled into my parking space at work, and hapend to notice a trail of spots of something leading to where I parked the car,
I looked underneath and there was a dripping of clear liquid coming from mid point in the car.

I had the air con on last night, and forgot to turn it off this morning, so I am wondering if this is the case? I vividly remember a holiday in create where the hire car was running a small stream on a really hot day. So thought it likely.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Dripping

Post by Smartbear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 am

Broads wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:20 am Morning all,

I wanted to check with you guys if this is something to be concerned with, or if this is normal operation.
This morning I pulled into my parking space at work, and hapend to notice a trail of spots of something leading to where I parked the car,
I looked underneath and there was a dripping of clear liquid coming from mid point in the car.

I had the air con on last night, and forgot to turn it off this morning, so I am wondering if this is the case? I vividly remember a holiday in create where the hire car was running a small stream on a really hot day. So thought it likely.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Hi Mark, sounds like the air con to me :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Lazza

Dripping

Post by Lazza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 am

Why turn it off? Mine is on all the time. I never turn it off.
They live a lot longer if they are used all the time.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Broads

Dripping

Post by Broads » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 am

Ok so it sounds like its normal running then. I guess air con has come on someway since my inital aircon days where it would zap your mpg. I Never really feal like I need it unless its really hot. Last night being one, and I didnt have the boot divider down and couldnt be bothered to stop :P
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

Silverstar

Dripping

Post by Silverstar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am

Like Lazza says it's when you don't use them that's when they go wrong!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Cees Klumper

Dripping

Post by Cees Klumper » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I rarely but really rarely use the ACs on my cars and so far, in 12 plus years and about 200K miles the ACs on my two Volvos still work perfectly. Some years I use them only for a couple of hours the entire year.
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast

mcbutler

Dripping

Post by mcbutler » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 pm

If you dont use it the lubricant is not circulated and the seals etc will start to harden,
Just pop it on for a few minutes a month, its all you need.
If you never use it most people will encounter problems along the line.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Dripping

Post by flybobbie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 pm If you never use it most people will encounter problems along the line.
If you never use it, well you won't know it's broke.

bob4333

Dripping

Post by bob4333 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:11 am

From memory a car's air con compressor chews through about 5 HP when under load. Anyone going to notice?

You also run the risk of bacteria breeding in the evaporator if used infrequently, manifesting itself as nasty smells in the car's cabin area as you drive. There's another good post on here somewhere about cleaning it all out if you suffer from this.

Years ago Mythbusters did a trial of 2 identical cars (could have been Ford Explorers?) driving around a racetrack at steady speed. Myth was "Open Windows, No Air Con" vs "Closed Windows, Full Air Con". Which gives better MPG?

Can't recall the exact result but remember it was marginal (might have been in favour of the closed windows but I'll stand corrected).

Cees Klumper

Dripping

Post by Cees Klumper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm sure using the ac from time to time is better than almost never using it, it's just that, on our Volvos, not doing so hasn't caused any problems whatsoever in more than 14 years. Those are back in France where it's less hot, here in California we use the AC regularly anyway.

Back to the original post, one thing to do if there's any sort of drip is to just taste a bit of it. Coolant, engine oil, trans oil and plain water taste very differently. Of course oil will also look differently.
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast