Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:50 am

john-e89 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 pm
The boot, or lack of, always put me off them, shame really.
The boot isn’t bad at all... but narrow but you can get more than enough stuff in ... not sure on the convertible mind you, mines a coupe ..

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 am

Chris1712 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:16 pm
The F Type R seems the fastest / most sensible follow up to my 35iS. Over 500bhp, awd and 2 year warranty for 40k? Bargain that. Just worried it’s a bit too similar to the E89 in its character, ie mostly refined but a shoutyy if weighty muscle car / cruiser more than a sports car.

I’d really like to try something mid engined.
The V8 is very quick,mine has 380 bhp and goes well, think it’s in the low 4’s 0-60

Mid engined, I found my 981 cayman a brill car to drive

If it had been PDK and the S version then I would probably still have it .
That said , mine was due to run out of warranty, due a service and warranty renewal inspection so effectively a bill of £3000+ was imminent.
I wouldn’t run a Porsche without warranty, the parts are stupidly priced .

Mine went in and needed a spoiler mech and a lower fork arm and the bill was £2600 and something, with a recommendation of 2 exhaust gaskets at £900 ( not warranty)having only done 34k god knows what the spend would be like as it got some real miles on

Online
Chris1712
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Somerset

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Chris1712 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am

Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 am
The V8 is very quick,mine has 380 bhp and goes well, think it’s in the low 4’s 0-60

Mid engined, I found my 981 cayman a brill car to drive

If it had been PDK and the S version then I would probably still have it .
That said , mine was due to run out of warranty, due a service and warranty renewal inspection so effectively a bill of £3000+ was imminent.
I wouldn’t run a Porsche without warranty, the parts are stupidly priced .

Mine went in and needed a spoiler mech and a lower fork arm and the bill was £2600 and something, with a recommendation of 2 exhaust gaskets at £900 ( not warranty)having only done 34k god knows what the spend would be like as it got some real miles on
Yes the V8 AWD would be the one for me. I want to want a Porsche but the running costs really put me off, absolutely silly money - are they really *that* good?

Question is with the Jag, how much more money will they lose? Looks like 45k will get a well spec'd 15/65 plate with low miles, but it they're trading nearly 30k in 2 years that's a bit much for me to stomach! Spend 45k on a Porker and you know it's not going to lose too much :headbang:.
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

Fireball
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 am
Location: South Dorset

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Fireball » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm

After looking at alternatives and realising that my dream Ultima evo is completely impractical I am considering changing my 23i for a 35is. Have seen a 64 plate car for sale, are there any pitfalls or special issues with this model. Car I am looking at has 30k miles, I anticipate doing around 5 to 6 k miles per year including a foreign road trip or two. This thread hints at issues with early ones, I am guessing a 64 plate must be a late model.
2010 23i M sport
2009 BMW K1300GT

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6320
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by john-e89 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Fireball wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm
After looking at alternatives and realising that my dream Ultima evo is completely impractical I am considering changing my 23i for a 35is. Have seen a 64 plate car for sale, are there any pitfalls or special issues with this model. Car I am looking at has 30k miles, I anticipate doing around 5 to 6 k miles per year including a foreign road trip or two. This thread hints at issues with early ones, I am guessing a 64 plate must be a late model.
30k miles is still very low, you shouldn’t be getting any problems until double that as a general rule. 5-6k miles a year should give you problem free motoring for years yet. Obviously keep changing the oil etc. Problems with turbo’s, wastgates, adaptive shocks, DCT sump leaks, injectors, fuel pumps, don’t seem to appear until over 60k miles, again as a rule of thumb, obviously something unexpected can happen to anything but personally I wouldn’t have any concerns with a car at that mileage.

As a bit cheeky side note my 14 plate Mineral grey 35is has 23k miles and fully loaded, if it’s of any interest PM me as I’m mulling over selling it. :thumbsup:
Massey Ferguson 718 GTS....what were they thinking.....and yet I still bought one..... :oops:
M roady
E89 35is
MR2 mk 2

Just too many toys.....

User avatar
jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6354
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:49 pm
Location: Romancing Your Mum

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by jimbo1958 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:32 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 pm
The boot, or lack of, always put me off them, shame really.
I though the lack of boot space would be an issue but had this lot in my boot for the National Meet and that includes a 5 man tent. :thumbsup:
IMG_20190705_112510.jpg
IMG_20190705_112510.jpg (371.4 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Chris1712 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am
Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 am
The V8 is very quick,mine has 380 bhp and goes well, think it’s in the low 4’s 0-60

Mid engined, I found my 981 cayman a brill car to drive

If it had been PDK and the S version then I would probably still have it .
That said , mine was due to run out of warranty, due a service and warranty renewal inspection so effectively a bill of £3000+ was imminent.
I wouldn’t run a Porsche without warranty, the parts are stupidly priced .

Mine went in and needed a spoiler mech and a lower fork arm and the bill was £2600 and something, with a recommendation of 2 exhaust gaskets at £900 ( not warranty)having only done 34k god knows what the spend would be like as it got some real miles on
Yes the V8 AWD would be the one for me. I want to want a Porsche but the running costs really put me off, absolutely silly money - are they really *that* good?

Question is with the Jag, how much more money will they lose? Looks like 45k will get a well spec'd 15/65 plate with low miles, but it they're trading nearly 30k in 2 years that's a bit much for me to stomach! Spend 45k on a Porker and you know it's not going to lose too much :headbang:.

Ok Chris...

What Porsche would cost £45k and not lose too much cash?

Can get into a 718....Too new and will lose money heavily..

918 GTS... Probably just sneak in the budget,but will lose cash although could be best option.

Any 911 at this price point will drop cash ,a 996 turbo is an antiquated dinosaur,997 turbo in that budget will be old and a bit ratty,997 carrera makes no sense at that cash... 991 will be lovely,but again at that cash,miley and not great spec and they are heavily on the slide value wise,they seem to have done £5k-£8k this year already.

Porschanista's also want full dealer history,so factor in the bills in your ownership,or look at heavily discounting on sale time

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 pm

jimbo1958 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:32 pm
john-e89 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 pm
The boot, or lack of, always put me off them, shame really.
I though the lack of boot space would be an issue but had this lot in my boot for the National Meet and that includes a 5 man tent. :thumbsup:

IMG_20190705_112510.jpg

Was having another look today at the boot,and although narrow its really not bad at all..

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6320
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by john-e89 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:45 pm

jimbo1958 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:32 pm
john-e89 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 pm
The boot, or lack of, always put me off them, shame really.
I though the lack of boot space would be an issue but had this lot in my boot for the National Meet and that includes a 5 man tent. :thumbsup:

IMG_20190705_112510.jpg
:o That’s actually a fair amount of crap in there Jimbo, I’m surprised tbh....

However, I don’t see any booze......bad Jimbo..... :x :telloff:
Massey Ferguson 718 GTS....what were they thinking.....and yet I still bought one..... :oops:
M roady
E89 35is
MR2 mk 2

Just too many toys.....

Online
User avatar
sunnydays
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 am

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by sunnydays » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm
Chris1712 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am
Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 am
The V8 is very quick,mine has 380 bhp and goes well, think it’s in the low 4’s 0-60

Mid engined, I found my 981 cayman a brill car to drive

If it had been PDK and the S version then I would probably still have it .
That said , mine was due to run out of warranty, due a service and warranty renewal inspection so effectively a bill of £3000+ was imminent.
I wouldn’t run a Porsche without warranty, the parts are stupidly priced .

Mine went in and needed a spoiler mech and a lower fork arm and the bill was £2600 and something, with a recommendation of 2 exhaust gaskets at £900 ( not warranty)having only done 34k god knows what the spend would be like as it got some real miles on
Yes the V8 AWD would be the one for me. I want to want a Porsche but the running costs really put me off, absolutely silly money - are they really *that* good?

Question is with the Jag, how much more money will they lose? Looks like 45k will get a well spec'd 15/65 plate with low miles, but it they're trading nearly 30k in 2 years that's a bit much for me to stomach! Spend 45k on a Porker and you know it's not going to lose too much :headbang:.

Ok Chris...

What Porsche would cost £45k and not lose too much cash?

Can get into a 718....Too new and will lose money heavily..

918 GTS... Probably just sneak in the budget,but will lose cash although could be best option.

Any 911 at this price point will drop cash ,a 996 turbo is an antiquated dinosaur,997 turbo in that budget will be old and a bit ratty,997 carrera makes no sense at that cash... 991 will be lovely,but again at that cash,miley and not great spec and they are heavily on the slide value wise,they seem to have done £5k-£8k this year already.

Porschanista's also want full dealer history,so factor in the bills in your ownership,or look at heavily discounting on sale time
987 Cayman R :)

Online
Chris1712
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Somerset

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Chris1712 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:28 am

Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm
Ok Chris...

What Porsche would cost £45k and not lose too much cash?

Can get into a 718....Too new and will lose money heavily..

918 GTS... Probably just sneak in the budget,but will lose cash although could be best option.

Any 911 at this price point will drop cash ,a 996 turbo is an antiquated dinosaur,997 turbo in that budget will be old and a bit ratty,997 carrera makes no sense at that cash... 991 will be lovely,but again at that cash,miley and not great spec and they are heavily on the slide value wise,they seem to have done £5k-£8k this year already.

Porschanista's also want full dealer history,so factor in the bills in your ownership,or look at heavily discounting on sale time
A Boxster GTS would probably be the best pick, but I don't especially I want one. I would have thought a 997.2 C4S PDK with a decent spec would lose more like £10k over 2 years, rather than the £15k the Jag will lose. That's a lot of money, £200 a month to put towards the higher running costs of the Porsche.
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6320
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:29 am

Fireball wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm
After looking at alternatives and realising that my dream Ultima evo is completely impractical I am considering changing my 23i for a 35is. Have seen a 64 plate car for sale, are there any pitfalls or special issues with this model. Car I am looking at has 30k miles, I anticipate doing around 5 to 6 k miles per year including a foreign road trip or two. This thread hints at issues with early ones, I am guessing a 64 plate must be a late model.
I’ve got a msg in my email box regarding a PM Fireball but nothing in my PM box here, do you want to try sending it again. :thumbsup:
Massey Ferguson 718 GTS....what were they thinking.....and yet I still bought one..... :oops:
M roady
E89 35is
MR2 mk 2

Just too many toys.....

Mavster
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Mavster » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:55 pm

I loved the Awd R. Boot was quite big actually.
Attachments
IMG_20190322_155416.jpg
IMG_20190322_155416.jpg (151.29 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Deepsea blue 35iS :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Chris1712 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:28 am
Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:10 pm
Ok Chris...

What Porsche would cost £45k and not lose too much cash?

Can get into a 718....Too new and will lose money heavily..

918 GTS... Probably just sneak in the budget,but will lose cash although could be best option.

Any 911 at this price point will drop cash ,a 996 turbo is an antiquated dinosaur,997 turbo in that budget will be old and a bit ratty,997 carrera makes no sense at that cash... 991 will be lovely,but again at that cash,miley and not great spec and they are heavily on the slide value wise,they seem to have done £5k-£8k this year already.

Porschanista's also want full dealer history,so factor in the bills in your ownership,or look at heavily discounting on sale time
A Boxster GTS would probably be the best pick, but I don't especially I want one. I would have thought a 997.2 C4S PDK with a decent spec would lose more like £10k over 2 years, rather than the £15k the Jag will lose. That's a lot of money, £200 a month to put towards the higher running costs of the Porsche.

What kinda year are you buying in 997 C4s for £45k.. Maybe 10 plate?..... Would the F type be 4/5 years newer with lower mileage ?

Late 997's are something i dont really look at,i cant see value in them really. Conversely i can see a lot of value in an early 997,lovely looking car that can be bought for under £20k with sensible miles.

Online
Chris1712
Member
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Somerset

Have 35is prices bottomed out yet?

Post by Chris1712 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 am

Z4M-2006 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 pm
What kinda year are you buying in 997 C4s for £45k.. Maybe 10 plate?..... Would the F type be 4/5 years newer with lower mileage ?

Late 997's are something i dont really look at,i cant see value in them really. Conversely i can see a lot of value in an early 997,lovely looking car that can be bought for under £20k with sensible miles.
Yep for sure the F Type would be newer, but I don't really care about age/mileage just that the car is 'better' and I can afford it's amortised running costs over X miles / years.

I have a spreadsheet for all costs, and add new cars/columns all the time to see what my budget allows.

My 35iS looks like this:
Per mile £0.91
Fuel per mile £0.19
Tax per mile £0.05
Service/Warranty per mile £0.09
Depreciation per mile £0.55

R8 V8 S-Tronic looks like this:
Per mile £1.20
Fuel per mile £0.25
Tax per mile £0.08
Service/Warranty per mile £0.18
Depreciation per mile £0.60

So affordable but pushing it, the warranty is what kills the R8 for me. Over £100 a month I wonder if it's really worth it or I should take the risk myself.
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

Post Reply