Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Need to get my Vanos looked at

"M" Specific discussion
Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 pm

ph001, is a car's engine. More similar to a tractor than to a nano tech robot. I was /am happy with my garage being at 17C during the process.
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:54 am
Spaniarduk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 pm I got mine replaced by Mr VANOS at my home address in Leicestershire during the weekend. While he was 'at it' he also checked the valve clearance (two shims needed replacing)

The valve clearances need to be done in a controlled environment of 20'C. The tolerance on them is so tight that just an ambient temp change of 10'C is enough to push them from one end of the spec to the other. Unbelievable I know, but many repeated checks both first thing in the morning (about 7'C) compared to middle of afternoon (about 19'C) can make the difference between in spec and out of spec. Confirmed with many repeated measurements over 2 days using very high quality digital vernier calipers.
I’d be very surprised if any main dealers and Indy’s have temperature controlled workshops. Open plan workshops with large rollers doors, just not going to happen.

I work for a precision engineering company. We machine and measure components at 20C and the components have to be in the temp controlled room 24 hours before machining to ensure accuracy.

This just doesn’t happen with garages changing shims.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 pm

I don’t disagree that many garages ignore it but the BMW procedure does specifically state the ambient temp required for the measurements. Makes a bit of a mockery out of doing them otherwise.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Lower

Post by Lower » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:24 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Spaniarduk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 pm I got mine replaced by Mr VANOS at my home address in Leicestershire during the weekend. While he was 'at it' he also checked the valve clearance (two shims needed replacing)

The valve clearances need to be done in a controlled environment of 20'C. The tolerance on them is so tight that just an ambient temp change of 10'C is enough to push them from one end of the spec to the other. Unbelievable I know, but many repeated checks both first thing in the morning (about 7'C) compared to middle of afternoon (about 19'C) can make the difference between in spec and out of spec. Confirmed with many repeated measurements over 2 days using very high quality digital vernier calipers.
I’d be very surprised if any main dealers and Indy’s have temperature controlled workshops. Open plan workshops with large rollers doors, just not going to happen.

I work for a precision engineering company. We machine and measure components at 20C and the components have to be in the temp controlled room 24 hours before machining to ensure accuracy.

Modern dealerships are climate controlled with quick acting fabric doors. My local sytner dealership has exactly that setup and the mechanics all work in short sleeved polo shirts.
57 Z4MC Interlagos blue, Champagne leather, Carbon Dash, SatNav, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Heated Seats, Rear Park sensors, Isofix and airbag disable switch for the ideal family car :)
Now Sold and replaced with a M2

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm

...and probably even more importantly, the valve clearances should never be done same day as you drive in as it takes a long time for the engine to cool down completely. OK, maybe if you arrived at 9am, it could be done late afternoon, but usually it should be done next day after the engine has been sat overnight.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:53 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Depends on the dealership, the guys I have used for many years take the car the day before and let it settle in the workshop for 24hrs before doing shims.

If someone is doing it differently they are doing it wrong.
IMOLA Z4///MR

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:47 am

Ditto. Dropped off the day before and sat in situ, waiting to be checked the following afternoon.

As I understand it, the chance of needing regular shim changes (i.e. at every major inspection) should be pretty low unless the engine is regularly taken to its limits or you insist on adjustments back into the middle or “loose” side of the range.

I actually found it quite hard to foot the bill for a valve clearance check that resulted in no corrections, but I guess it’s a good sign. There’s certainly a strong argument for doing it yourself. :)
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

matthewpri

Post by matthewpri » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi guys,

I've started to have some similar issues with my Z over the past few weeks. It runs fine but when you put a step input into the throttle it sounds like its running on 5 rather than 6 cylinders for a few seconds then catches up and flies. Plugged my diagnostics in and nothing comes up. I took it into a local garage recently and they said it might just be because its cold at the moment but im not entirely convinced. Is this a VANOS issue and if so any recommendations on getting it fixed/cost and is it something I could do myself?
2003 Z4 2.5i M54 Maldives Blue - Stance+ Coilovers, 15mm Spacers Font, 'BBS' LM 18", RAM air intake, new wing/front bumper, footwell lights, wrapped blue interior.

SiJar

Post by SiJar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:17 am

Oh that explains as when I had my cars inspection 1 carried out in December the BMW indi garage insisted on the car being dropped off the night before to be at the right temperature to carry out the work.
Z4///MC

JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 am

Anothermidlifecrisis, I would give Darragh another try bud. I’m in West Oxfordshire and we’ve managed to sort something out. He’s just got himself a great rep’ pretty quickly and now has work coming out of his ears. I’ve booked in with him over a month ahead.

You should check out this vid on YouTube: https://youtu.be/BRm_soPGdgA

This is his mod to create a manual CSL for someone... and I understand he’s now got another two on the waiting list.

If you can get away with it, his level of workmanship feels worth the wait.
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather