Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How often, do you drive it like you stole it?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Not really driving like I stole it so much, usually comfortably within the cars limits.

I do like to light the rears up sometimes from a standing start and give it a prod when turning out of a junction. Also quite often take it to the right side of the speedo when the roads are empty. Don't have the balls to fully drift a roundabout but I let it do a skid occasionally :lol:

I'm sure the old farts on here will be shocked that some people drive at any speed other than 40mph though :poke:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:25 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:38 pm
I'm sure the old farts on here will be shocked that some people drive at any speed other than 40mph though :poke:
Ya reckon?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm

I have to admit it, my MX5 is much more fun to drive fast than my 35i. With my 5 I can properly thrash it around, let the back end out, hammer it through the bends and never feel like I’m going to kill myself. With my 35i it’s so much quicker and with so much more grip, I have to be going a hell of a lot faster to get anywhere near as much exhilaration but that means very high speeds long with all the risks that brings.
Mostly the Z is my daily commuter commuter and I just have a bit of fun when I get a rare bit of clear road for a moment which usually ends quickly when I catch up to the car in front.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:42 pm

Lazza wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm I have to admit it, my MX5 is much more fun to drive fast than my 35i. With my 5 I can properly thrash it around, let the back end out, hammer it through the bends and never feel like I’m going to kill myself. With my 35i it’s so much quicker and with so much more grip, I have to be going a hell of a lot faster to get anywhere near as much exhilaration but that means very high speeds long with all the risks that brings.
Mostly the Z is my daily commuter commuter and I just have a bit of fun when I get a rare bit of clear road for a moment which usually ends quickly when I catch up to the car in front.
Then is the question not covering the ground quickly or being on the edge?

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:41 pm

Speeding can have really serious consequences.
Over 100mph they can, and usually will take your car, permanently and arrest you.
So, a criminal record and a lot of cash gone on your car, fines, loss of licence, points, insurance up etc etc.
I was told this by a cop on the tolpuddle bypass who stopped me at 135mph in my C63 at 02:00 one morning. He gave me a ticket for 95 mph so I could not do the course but only got a fine. He did this because my wife was ill and asleep in the car with me, thank god.
He explained the whole process to me and its not pretty...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Dave 2 dogs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 am

Mc butler
Agree with your views there totally, it’s not gonna be pretty being stopped at the 100 + top police officer though, same thing happened to one of our drivers when I was chauffeuring a few years back , cop gave him a ticket for 95 , that’s the one thing you left out, it’s bad enough getting your license taken, and all you said, but quite a lot of us need our license directly fit the jobs we do also, so could end up with a carrier suicide :headbang:

gusTaco

Post by gusTaco » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Often I drive like a hooligan but not as to exceed the speed limit by much -

For example, If theres a 40 speed limit ill try to go max 45, but I try to get to 45 shifting late.

For me there's quite nothing like the exhaust note from the e89 6 cyl engine especially when you go above 4k RPM - music to my ears !!! :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Lazza wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm I have to admit it, my MX5 is much more fun to drive fast than my 35i. With my 5 I can properly thrash it around, let the back end out, hammer it through the bends and never feel like I’m going to kill myself. With my 35i it’s so much quicker and with so much more grip, I have to be going a hell of a lot faster to get anywhere near as much exhilaration but that means very high speeds long with all the risks that brings.
Agree with the above. :thumbsup: Though the ///MR is an event to drive, for me at least,, at any speed. My daily is a cheaply little Mazda2. So being fortunate enough to also have 3 roadsters available to drive on Cornish back roads, I get to enjoy the open air life, pretty regularlly.

Have to ask, why you are selling your Mx5.?
Last edited by buzyg on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:32 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:41 pm Speeding can have really serious consequences.
Over 100mph they can, and usually will take your car, permanently and arrest you.
So, a criminal record and a lot of cash gone on your car, fines, loss of licence, points, insurance up etc etc.
I was told this by a cop on the tolpuddle bypass who stopped me at 135mph in my C63 at 02:00 one morning. He gave me a ticket for 95 mph so I could not do the course but only got a fine. He did this because my wife was ill and asleep in the car with me, thank god.
+ a %age of your income
+ when you get your licence back, you start from zero (all previous auto entitlement for trailers, lorry or van wiped away)
+ with the rise of prosecutions from private dash cams, chances of getting caught are rising exponentially

...just glad I drove during the 80’s & 90’s - getting to drive frequently on the autobahns gets quite a bit out the system legally, though been quite a few incidents recently going tits up & it’s not even Autumn yet
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:02 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:41 pm Speeding can have really serious consequences.
I didn't know they could confiscate your car in the UK. I thought it was ban from driving for doing over 100
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Jembo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:32 pm
- getting to drive frequently on the autobahns gets quite a bit out the system legally, though been quite a few incidents recently going tits up & it’s not even Autumn yet
I’ve also been to Germany for the last 25 years or so (three weeks each time) and noticed that in recent years there are more and more speed restricted areas - add to that the more congested roads the long stretches of high speeds have all but gone.
It is much faster but certainly not what the general UK motoring public think it is!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 am

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 pm
Jembo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:32 pm
- getting to drive frequently on the autobahns gets quite a bit out the system legally, though been quite a few incidents recently going tits up & it’s not even Autumn yet
I’ve also been to Germany for the last 25 years or so (three weeks each time) and noticed that in recent years there are more and more speed restricted areas - add to that the more congested roads the long stretches of high speeds have all but gone.
It is much faster but certainly not what the general UK motoring public think it is!
... & there’s some bits around Düsseldorf where it’s unrestricted that then go 100 - 80 - 60kmh at junctions that sneak up quick & can be.... interesting.

However, if you’re after a quieter derestricted stretch for an Italien tuneup, the 20 motorway from Hamburg to Berlin is very clear & only 1 bit of roadworks...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Do no about stole it? Drove it like a Hearse today. Bl##dy tourist every where. Schools go back, wrinklely old gits arrive . :cry: :headbang: :roll:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:02 pm
I didn't know they could confiscate your car in the UK. I thought it was ban from driving for doing over 100
I don’t think it’s the speeding that can get the car confiscated, I think it’s more the dangerous driving side
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm

The Swiss police can and do confiscations. I went thro the country in August very cautiously !