More rod bearings @ Everything M3

"M" Specific discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
AndyBeech
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 pm
Location: Reading / Bath

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Just another shout out to Darragh at Everything M3 for doing my rod bearings and a few other little bits while under the car. Top guy and will definitely be going back for other work, knows his stuff! Unfortunately I couldn't stick around to watch his handy work as I had to be elsewhere but will hopefully do so next time, always up for learning more about these things, and hearing more of his stories from his time in F1.

First job was the rod bearings, 91k on my car, brought it on 61k, 6 previous owners....pretty decent to be honest and would have lasted a little longer before the 2 going down to the copper, glad it's done though. King bearings and ARP bolts installed using a stretch gauge replace the old ones.
Image
Image

No issues under the car. Oil pump was checked and is good. Engine mount bolts checked and tight, no need to replace. PAS high pressure hose fine. CPV O-ring supplied by Hack Engineering installed, new OEM transmission mounts installed though to be honest these weren't too bad at all and would have been fine. Various O-rings and sump gasket replaced along with a new sump plug. Diff input seal had the standard weep but will get this sorted with Insp 2 next time I'm there.

Original engine mounts not too bad either but replaced with Vibra Technics road mounts.
Image

Anyone getting mounts replaced, I can say the Vibra's are a lovely bit of kit. Yes a bit extra cost than OEM but sure they'll last a bit longer and they look great, if you look through the engine bay! Also no extra NVH, only time I noticed a *tiny* bit was during the cold start procedure, after that nothing.

All in all, a job well done, can highly recommend Darragh. Cheap money for piece of mind given the bearings lottery, James on here had his done as per his thread and looked a lot worse so there is no way of telling. Fresh oil and filter and a few hundred miles of careful driving to bed in the bearings and good to go....though not strictly sure this is necessary to be honest.
Saw a nice black Z4M waiting outside when I went to collect mine on Monday as well for the same work! Oh, and he's near to the train station at Banbury as well if you need to get somewhere while the works being done. :thumbsup:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, H&R Springs, RPI Skid Plates, CSL Reps, RTAB Limiters

User avatar
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6795
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Manchester

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by tomscott » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Excellent stuff :thumbsup:

Just goes to show that the bearings are different in every case. Going to have all the above done on mine when it gets to 85k for piece of mind.
06 Z4Mr Imola on Imola :wub:
67 Mini Clubman JCW
54 911 C4S vert 50:50 Share
2006 Z4Mc Gone, 2005 987 Boxster S Blew up :cry:

User avatar
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Somerset

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by Ewazix » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Not bad wear really and certainly not the worst that have been posted on here but must be worth doing for peace of mind :thumbsup:

I'm sure a lot of ///M lurkers would like to know, If you don't mind me asking, what does a package of work like that cost?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 16940
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by buzyg » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks for posting OP. Planning to get mine done next ins1, for peace of mind. Currently on 70k :)
Image

james28
Member
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 pm

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by james28 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:43 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:42 pm
Just another shout out to Darragh at Everything M3 for doing my rod bearings and a few other little bits while under the car. Top guy and will definitely be going back for other work, knows his stuff! Unfortunately I couldn't stick around to watch his handy work as I had to be elsewhere but will hopefully do so next time, always up for learning more about these things, and hearing more of his stories from his time in F1.

First job was the rod bearings, 91k on my car, brought it on 61k, 6 previous owners....pretty decent to be honest and would have lasted a little longer before the 2 going down to the copper, glad it's done though. King bearings and ARP bolts installed using a stretch gauge replace the old ones.
Image
Image

No issues under the car. Oil pump was checked and is good. Engine mount bolts checked and tight, no need to replace. PAS high pressure hose fine. CPV O-ring supplied by Hack Engineering installed, new OEM transmission mounts installed though to be honest these weren't too bad at all and would have been fine. Various O-rings and sump gasket replaced along with a new sump plug. Diff input seal had the standard weep but will get this sorted with Insp 2 next time I'm there.

Original engine mounts not too bad either but replaced with Vibra Technics road mounts.
Image

Anyone getting mounts replaced, I can say the Vibra's are a lovely bit of kit. Yes a bit extra cost than OEM but sure they'll last a bit longer and they look great, if you look through the engine bay! Also no extra NVH, only time I noticed a *tiny* bit was during the cold start procedure, after that nothing.

All in all, a job well done, can highly recommend Darragh. Cheap money for piece of mind given the bearings lottery, James on here had his done as per his thread and looked a lot worse so there is no way of telling. Fresh oil and filter and a few hundred miles of careful driving to bed in the bearings and good to go....though not strictly sure this is necessary to be honest.
Saw a nice black Z4M waiting outside when I went to collect mine on Monday as well for the same work! Oh, and he's near to the train station at Banbury as well if you need to get somewhere while the works being done. :thumbsup:
Brilliant write up fella :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
He is a top bloke and his work is 1st class.
Your bearings were in much better shape than mine
Peace of mind though and good to know your cars had a once over. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :driving:

User avatar
AndyBeech
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 pm
Location: Reading / Bath

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm
Not bad wear really and certainly not the worst that have been posted on here but must be worth doing for peace of mind :thumbsup:

I'm sure a lot of ///M lurkers would like to know, If you don't mind me asking, what does a package of work like that cost?
Probably fair if people PM for exact cost in-case people try to quote the amount in future and prices change etc. if you see what I mean.
Budget £1000 though and you'll be about right. With Vibra engine mounts and CPV O-ring and a few other O-rings I purchased myself plus the gearbox mounts add another £250 or so.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, H&R Springs, RPI Skid Plates, CSL Reps, RTAB Limiters

User avatar
Spaniarduk
Member
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:36 am

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by Spaniarduk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:44 pm

AndyBeech, when you quote 91k, do you mean miles or Km? I'm guessing miles, but i don't want to assume.
Thanks
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

User avatar
AndyBeech
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 pm
Location: Reading / Bath

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 pm

Spaniarduk wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:44 pm
AndyBeech, when you quote 91k, do you mean miles or Km? I'm guessing miles, but i don't want to assume.
Thanks
Yes mate, 91000 miles

Oh and to add to the thread, had Meeko (Steve) code M-track Mode and delete the Dynamic Brake Control function today, another great guy and a pleasure to meet.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, H&R Springs, RPI Skid Plates, CSL Reps, RTAB Limiters

User avatar
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Somerset

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by Ewazix » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:07 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:25 pm
Ewazix wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm
Not bad wear really and certainly not the worst that have been posted on here but must be worth doing for peace of mind :thumbsup:

I'm sure a lot of ///M lurkers would like to know, If you don't mind me asking, what does a package of work like that cost?
Probably fair if people PM for exact cost in-case people try to quote the amount in future and prices change etc. if you see what I mean.
Budget £1000 though and you'll be about right. With Vibra engine mounts and CPV O-ring and a few other O-rings I purchased myself plus the gearbox mounts add another £250 or so.
Thanks :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

MichaelPorter80
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:23 am
Location: Winchester Hamphire

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by MichaelPorter80 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:39 pm

I dropped my MR off with a Darragh on Monday and I may have seen your car there actually?! I’m having full Vanos rebuild and Rod Bearings and bolts, plus engine mounds if needed. Darragh a great chap, hopefully picking up this weekend all done and dusted!
1st Z4 bought in 2009 - Sapphire Black, 2.0l Sport SOLD
2nd Z4 bought in 2013 - Midnight Blue, 2.0l Sport SOLD
3rd Z4 bought in 2019 - Sapphire Black Z4MR Imola Red Leather

User avatar
AndyBeech
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 pm
Location: Reading / Bath

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 pm

MichaelPorter80 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:39 pm
I dropped my MR off with a Darragh on Monday and I may have seen your car there actually?! I’m having full Vanos rebuild and Rod Bearings and bolts, plus engine mounds if needed. Darragh a great chap, hopefully picking up this weekend all done and dusted!
Ah yes that would be you, the black one! I remember the personal number plate and makes sense now :thumbsup:
Your in safe hands, depending on mileage I would get the engine mounts done, easy job while the rest it being done and saves having to do it again later down the line. Darragh will advise you right though. Have a poke around his garage if you get a chance, some cool stuff in there!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, H&R Springs, RPI Skid Plates, CSL Reps, RTAB Limiters

Viren
Member
Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:26 am

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by Viren » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Those bearings looks really good! Surprisingly little wear except the 2 which look quite worn. I changed mine out at around 70k and they had more copper showing although wear looked even. The engine mounts are awesome! One of my favourite mods! Enjoy the peace of mind and taking it to 8k!! :driving:
07 Z4MC standard spec

MichaelPorter80
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:23 am
Location: Winchester Hamphire

More rod bearings @ Everything M3

Post by MichaelPorter80 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 pm

AndyBeech wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 pm
MichaelPorter80 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:39 pm
I dropped my MR off with a Darragh on Monday and I may have seen your car there actually?! I’m having full Vanos rebuild and Rod Bearings and bolts, plus engine mounds if needed. Darragh a great chap, hopefully picking up this weekend all done and dusted!
Ah yes that would be you, the black one! I remember the personal number plate and makes sense now :thumbsup:
Your in safe hands, depending on mileage I would get the engine mounts done, easy job while the rest it being done and saves having to do it again later down the line. Darragh will advise you right though. Have a poke around his garage if you get a chance, some cool stuff in there!
Just posted my own experience, my bearings a lot worse than yours!!
1st Z4 bought in 2009 - Sapphire Black, 2.0l Sport SOLD
2nd Z4 bought in 2013 - Midnight Blue, 2.0l Sport SOLD
3rd Z4 bought in 2019 - Sapphire Black Z4MR Imola Red Leather

Post Reply