Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How often, do you drive it like you stole it?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dave 2 dogs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:02 pm

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out :tumbleweed: :rofl:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:29 pm

bob4333 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:28 am
Ewazix wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:23 am Really? :roll:

We are all highly skilled driving gods with perfect judgement (obviously) but things go wrong. I honestly hope you you don't end up regretting moments of madness like that on the road, people do, even driving gods. Apart from which it's a pretty daft thing to post, it being available for perpetuity to the authorities, insurance investigators and future buyers. I haven't quoted just in case you wanted to edit :wink:
Whoa! Where did that come from....? If I'm in the dock again then know this........

"Skilled driving God". Can only speak for myself and say no. I can fling a car around a track (not my own car - a selection of those at the Bedford Autodrome) with as much enthusiasm as the next person but does that make me a better driver? I fear not.

".....moments of madness like that on the road..." It was 75mph on an otherwise 70mph M42. My observation let me down as the variable limit must have just come on at 60mph and I missed it.

It was my daily driver, not my Z4 which was fast asleep in the garage at home.

Well, the authorities already know, hence the Warwickshire Constabulary inviting me to attend one of their, I am sure, most excellent courses. I was offered this is an ALTERNATIVE to a £100 fine and 3 penalty points. And note the distinction between Motorway Awareness and Speeding Awareness. The matter of a course offer rests entirely with the Police force. They decide whichever is most appropriate given the circumstances.

Insurance?

Quote "Attending a speeding awareness course is not classed as a conviction, which requires the ticking of the box on insurance quotation forms to disclose such an offence in the last 5 years.

Choosing to attend a course will avoid penalty points being added to your licence, maintaining a clean licence in some cases, and because course data isn’t held by the DVLA, it can’t be checked by insurance companies." Unquote.

But hiding anything from your insurers is perhaps one of the most stupid things any of us could do. So I will give them the option anyway.

And as an aside, my licence has been clean for 28 years so this wasn't something I'm in the habit doing.
Sorry you have the wrong end of the stick completely! Sorry if you thought I was responding to your post, I was referring to the OP, as I mentioned in my post I refrained from quoting him in case he wanted to edit his original post (if you quote someone you effective stop them editing things they have second thoughts about). As you were 8)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Has the OPs post been edited or did you read “doing a 180” as “doing 180”?
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:14 pm

Lazza wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:23 pm Has the OPs post been edited or did you read “doing a 180” as “doing 180”?
Surely "Drifting" a roundabout to do a 180 whilst "driving it like you stole it" only has one meaning? Or was it drifting along like in Driving Miss Daisy :wink:
https://youtu.be/5FNMB-2WdaY
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:54 am

Ewazix wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:14 pm Surely "Drifting" a roundabout to do a 180 whilst "driving it like you stole it" only has one meaning? Or was it drifting along like in Driving Miss Daisy
The OP is in the USA - they don't have roundabouts, they have "Rotaries" and very few of them!

Confused me no end the first time I got some directions on a business trip to Boston some years back - I didn't know what a Rotary was. :?

But on topic I can't resist chasing the red line now and again, or giving it some on corners and roundabouts from time to time - that's what I bought t for!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:06 am

Ewazix wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Sorry you have the wrong end of the stick completely! Sorry if you thought I was responding to your post, I was referring to the OP, as I mentioned in my post I refrained from quoting him in case he wanted to edit his original post (if you quote someone you effective stop them editing things they have second thoughts about). As you were 8)
No probs, I thought it was a bit heavy. We're squared away. :thumbsup:

step_change

Post by step_change » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 am

Tinker15 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 am
bob4333 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:04 am Not bl**dy likely.

I've got to go and sit in the naughty chair in a weeks time for exceeding a variable speed limit on a motorway. Interestingly it's a "Motorway Awareness Course" as opposed to a "Speed Awareness Course" they've sent me to. :(

Just for info - the cameras on motorways have moved from the overhead gantries to the stanchions on the left hand side. So it's no good looking up as you approach to see if there's a camera there. Not that I'd condone such behaviour....................
You are not alone. I drove north on the A14 on Friday where there is a 40mph speed limit around Cambridge. I was amazed at the number of drivers who overtook me doing well over 40. During a six month period 4500 were fined on that stretch. I guess a few more will have speeding fines heading their way. 😏
Me too. I'm on that stretch of A14 once or twice a month (unfortunately). Bloody nightmare road to get to the fantastic City of Cambridge. When is the new A14 opening up?
How do you know that 4500 drivers were done on there?
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:39 am

The work is supposed to be finished by the end of 2020. You can see some figures for speeding fines here https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... s-14643921

Fortunately we only use this road when heading for the Channel Tunnel so about 4 times a year. Must be a real PITA for those who use it on a regular basis. 😟
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

step_change

Post by step_change » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:04 pm

A14 is one of the busiest roads - and surely most frustrating to drive on - in the country; it is a disgrace it has taken this long for it to be upgraded. Full of lorries heading to Harwich and East of England traffic heading south. Had it been in London it would have been sorted out years ago.

Sorry for slight thread hijack OP.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Spudley

Post by Spudley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Stuartt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:01 am Whenever the wife’s not with me :thumbsup:

Stuart
:D
2009 Z4E89 2.3sdrive (2.5ltr)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Enjoyed a few miles following a 458 today. Like a cat with a mouse following it.. I hope he enjoyed toying with me as much as I enjoyed listening to him nail it through a few bouts of accelerative thrust. 8) :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 pm

step_change wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:04 pm A14 is one of the busiest roads - and surely most frustrating to drive on - in the country; it is a disgrace it has taken this long for it to be upgraded. Full of lorries heading to Harwich and East of England traffic heading south. Had it been in London it would have been sorted out years ago.
Apologies for heading off-topic again, but motorways are few and far between around London.

The M2 that should go to Dover (with plenty of HGV traffic for the Port) runs out at Canterbury. :headbang:

The M23 that ought to go to Brighton (and the ferry at Newhaven) runs out just South of Gatwick. :headbang:

The North-West seems to have more Motorways than all of the South-East!

Anyone who needs to use the A14 ought to be grateful - just come and try the M25 in rush hour before you form an opinion. :laugh:

It's got to the point in the S.E. that I find A roads quicker than Motorways these days! The M3 and M25 are "Smart" Motorways with variable limits and cameras, so I don't bother with them.

It's quicker to use the A3 that has a mostly 70 limit (for now) and few cameras (for now) which does mean you can have some fun if you are in the mood (for now)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:47 am

You know, in a few years time when we're all driving electric, autonomous vehicles we're going to look fondly back on these times.

When they're gone, they'll be well and truly gone. :(

David-H

Post by David-H » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 am

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:33 am

We are all highly skilled driving gods with perfect judgement (obviously) but things go wrong. I honestly hope you you don't end up regretting moments of madness like that on the road, people do, even driving gods. Apart from which it's a pretty daft thing to post, it being available for perpetuity to the authorities, insurance investigators and future buyers. I haven't quoted just in case you wanted to edit :wink:
Nicely put.
Mind you, in his defence your honour it was a 3am post 🤪
It wasn't that time in Kansas City though (where the OP lives) 8)
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:37 am

David-H wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 am
Dav the wheel nut wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:33 am

Nicely put.
Mind you, in his defence your honour it was a 3am post 🤪
It wasn't that time in Kansas City though (where the OP lives) 8)
Fair comment, in which case he has no defence :)