Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M-sport seat retrofit (not yet finished)

Lightning87

Re: M-sport seat retrofit (not yet finished)

Post by Lightning87 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:54 pm

i want to keep it with a sensor. so then i need a new one from the dealer en instal it myself ? or is it just plug and play ?
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:56 pm

you would need to remove the leather from the seat and swap out the sensor.

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:00 pm

can i use the leather again then or do i need to get a new leather thing from the dealer ?

thanx you guys as i'm probably just a onther dutch stupid one I( like those damn footballers )
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:05 pm

As a guess I think you can re-use the leather, but can not confirm 100%.... maybe 90%. :D

P.S. was gutted about the football yesterday! I wanted you guys to win! :( Van Persie should have put the first two chances in the goal!!

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 pm

thanx peddy !

the whole team except sneider faild. lett's hope those germans win and we do we still have a (verry verry) litlle chance

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Maniac wrote:If there are still wrinkles, I once saw a great seat restoration guide on the same seats on YouTube where a guy used a hair dryer/heated gun (GENTLY) over the panels again and again and it tightened up the leather a treat.
That's "Pawnsacrifice" on here probably. I've used the same method to good use too, particularly my van seats. Hair dryer is less effective, heatgun far better but more chance of it going wrong...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

Steve220

Post by Steve220 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 am

Steam cleaner works best. It's what apaulsterers use to tighten new leather. If you haven't got one, towels in very hot water, rinse out then place on leather, leave for 5 minutes and will do the same job :)

2006 Z4MC - Midnight Blue on CSL's!! :D ///M Power - Fun begins after 4k rpm ;)

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Lightning87 wrote:i hope i can retrofit a couple of M seats to my Pre facelift, but they are comming from a facelift type.

in this thread is says there is no difference in an other people say there is, and you have to swap the occuppation mat/ sensor.

so to make it clear : does the facelift sensor fit the Pre facelift or do i have so switch the sensor ?

I've just spotted this.

My passenger occupancy sensor works fine from the facelift seat.

The old seats have a box mid-loom from the sensor to the big yellow multi-plug, and that box can be removed.

The new seats simply have the box just off the sensor pad at the back of the seat, and the wire that leaves the back of the seat is essentially the same plug as what comes out of the black box on the old seats, and joins to the yellow multi-plug.

I've tested all functions and both my seats work as expected.

Perhaps there are different old seat styles. In any case, the loom from the big yellow plug to the ECU is the same, the wiring in the big yellow plug is the same, so whatever you do you need an occupancy signal to go to the associated pins in the yellow plug. The early seats have some of the electronics in a stand alone box, the late ones seem to have it in the seat sensor itself. There may be another type (never heard/seen of it in all the wire diagrams I looked at though)

My 2p, worst case is the passenger airbag goes off, and door airbags, if there is no one sat in the seat. Not really the end of the world as any accident that big on these cars now is probably a write off any way.
In the event of an accident everything safety related will attempt to work any way.

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 pm

I just wanted to say this looks awesome, like really really awesome. Such a decent job you've done of cleaning them up too.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

greencode

Post by greencode » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm doing a similar job whereby I found some scruffy looking seats, do them up and install.

I'm having trouble removing the seat from the back though. I've removed the panels, removed the screws but whilst the side that doesn't have the heating connector slides up and down okay, I can't get the other side to budge to see where the connector is that I need to unplug so I can separate the two parts of the seat.

Can you remember where it was from when you did yours?

Warming

Post by Warming » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi seeking knowledge on how to fit donor M sport seats from an E86 (_si) into an E85 (3.0i).

I take it mechanically the frames bolt straight in but for the electronics, would I need some kind of airbag/ seat mat bypass for the loom?

My car is a 3.0i 2005 pre-facelift, Non-heated seats, Oregon beige leather... the closest I can find in M sport is champagne.

Cheers

maxman

Post by maxman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:04 pm

This is what you need
Attachments
50ECC629-6925-4CCF-B1BE-8C5737F7F505.jpeg
50ECC629-6925-4CCF-B1BE-8C5737F7F505.jpeg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 4765 times