Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Discussing the current generation Z4
Jim S

Post by Jim S » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

My dealer tells me that two Technical Enhancements (not recalls) have recently been issued by BMW for all G29 models in the UK:-

1) Program control units (DME)
2) Replacing the seat occupancy mat

The first one seems fairly straightforward but beware of the second one as it involves removing the passenger seat, stripping off the upholstery and fitting a new seat mat and sensor, then putting it all back together. The dealer cannot guarantee that it will all be put back as original, so I have declined this one as it is not safety related. It has something to do with the sensor to detect occupancy of the passenger seat when the seat belt has not been fastened.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Actually, what the dealer said to me about the seats is "we are not upholsterers and the seats are never the same after the leather upholstery is removed and put back on again". :thumbsdown:

The dealer also explained that the problem only occurs if the passenger seat belt has not been fastened and I never drive off without the seat belts of both occupants being engaged. More importantly, I don't want my new car dismantled and rebuilt in this way if it is not really necessary. :roll:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Jim S wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm Actually, what the dealer said to me about the seats is "we are not upholsterers and the seats are never the same after the leather upholstery is removed and put back on again". :thumbsdown:

The dealer also explained that the problem only occurs if the passenger seat belt has not been fastened and I never drive off without the seat belts of both occupants being engaged. More importantly, I don't want my new car dismantled and rebuilt in this way if it is not really necessary. :roll:
Sounds like it may cause an alarm, if you place a bag of shopping or heavy coat on the seat and don't fasten the seat belt.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:13 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm
Jim S wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm Actually, what the dealer said to me about the seats is "we are not upholsterers and the seats are never the same after the leather upholstery is removed and put back on again". :thumbsdown:

Sounds like it may cause an alarm, if you place a bag of shopping or heavy coat on the seat and don't fasten the seat belt.
Actually buzyg, it might not. The bag might not be heavy enough to register and that is the reason for the technical enhancement notice. It needs something or somebody quite heavy to register. If your wife is very light you won't be able to take her in the car - only joking but that serves to highlight the extent of the problem. :headbang:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:40 pm

I dont know how these systems work but if the car doesnt detect someone sitting in the passenger seat and you are in an accident does the passenger airbag still go off?
Or another way to put it, if you are in the car yourself in an accident does the passenger airbag go off?
If it doesnt, how would the insurance react to this recall not being carried out if you had a passenger who was injured and the airbag didnt go off?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:40 pm I dont know how these systems work but if the car doesnt detect someone sitting in the passenger seat and you are in an accident does the passenger airbag still go off?
Or another way to put it, if you are in the car yourself in an accident does the passenger airbag go off?
If it doesnt, how would the insurance react to this recall not being carried out if you had a passenger who was injured and the airbag didnt go off?
Good point. My understanding is that if no passenger is detected the passenger airbag won't go off. If the seatbelt is fastened the passenger is detected irrespective of their weight. If the seatbelt is not fastened the passenger may or may not be detected - that seems to be the issue, it all depends on their weight.
For me, I always make sure both the driver and passenger seat belts are fastened before moving off. :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm

No idea but could it be a potential MOT failure in future if the recall work hasn't been done? In some ways it could be argued its a safety related recall if concerning airbag deploy and wether there is doubt concerning its correct operation :?

Tim.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:58 pm

If it could affect future MOT’s then I would have to get it completed in my car. However, the dealer says it is not a recall and is not safety related. :o

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:41 pm

I’m sorry to read that you’re having issues with the new car.
Ok teething problems they may be for BMW but you’ve spent your hard earned cash and I’m sure it’s knocked the shine off the new car.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:23 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:41 pm I’m sorry to read that you’re having issues with the new car.
Ok teething problems they may be for BMW but you’ve spent your hard earned cash and I’m sure it’s knocked the shine off the new car.
Yes ronk I agree. You expect much more from a £52.5k car or even one costing half of that. :thumbsdown:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:23 pm

I also think that to suggest an update/fix will result in a less than perfect cosmetic result has gone beyond silly!

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:13 am

I’d be asking them to just provide a brand new seat. They can send the old one back to the factory to be repaired, by proper upholsterers.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 am

Bing wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:13 am I’d be asking them to just provide a brand new seat. They can send the old one back to the factory to be repaired, by proper upholsterers.
Oh, I'm afraid they won't do that as it would cost too much. Most, if not all, customers would prefer a new seat. Easier for the dealer too. :thumbsdown:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:03 pm

If it’s refitted but imperfectly now, then give it a few years of use and it may look tatty - not what you’d expect in a £50k car.

I would still say that they can’t offer a repair/rectification that they cannot complete in a professional manner to as new or even as they received it, is just not on. - Close enough isn’t good enough on a brand spanking new car.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:08 am

I dont know what it is with German cars but I've come to the conclusion the perceived quality is there on the surface but underneath it's not that great at times. Most cars I've had from new BWW, Audi's, VAGs have had some issue whether mechanical or trim issues or paint damage or minor scuffs from the factory, big turn off when your paying for supposedly premium quality.

My little Hyundai i10 that cost 13k from new was delivered perfect, no issues and hasn't missed a heartbeat. Maybe I've just been unlucky with German cars but I will be swapping for another Hyundai when the time comes. I know the badge snobs turn their noses up at the likes of Hyundai but these days I prefer cars that do the job with the least possible hassle. I guess it depends whether you enjoy sitting in the dealership drinking their fancy coffee for hours on end :)

Tim.