Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

white Nappa seat cleaning / care

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
chopper

Post by chopper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am

Hi all, I have a 2010 with the M pack and the white Nappa seats..
I have previously used the BMW leather care products which I loved, but want to make sure the seats are as clean as possible ( anyone with these will know how hard that is, especially if you wear jeans ). and also to keep the leather as soft as possible and keep the creasing etc to a minimum.

Cheers
Z4 2.3 Sdrive Msport - Melbourne red, pure white design, 19" rims

Tich

Post by Tich » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 am

Hi I have used products from The Leather Repair Company and found them to be good quality at a fair price.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:31 pm

By "white Nappa", chopper, do you mean 'Ivory White' leather & Alcantara?

If you do, then my experience is that the leather is very high quality and that using a conditioner lets the dirt wipe off. If I were you, I wouldn't get hung up on the fact that it's white, because driving an E89 with the roof down makes everything dirty all over, including the seats, and the leather changes colour over time (but looks just as good). So, keep it well conditioned - especially the bolsters, of course - and enjoy the luxury.

Don't even try to keep it brand-new white, because you may well damage the surface, dry it and make the colour patchy in the process. Let it age evenly over time, but in perfect condition.

Don't put conditioner on the Alcantara, though. Don't rub the Alcantara, don't let the seat belts run across the Alcantara and don't use anything on the Alcantara that you don't know 100% will work. Alcantara was developed by the Japanese or the Devil, I'm not sure which, but I do know it's a pita.
Vidi, vici, veni

Tacomano

Post by Tacomano » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 am

Please tell me how not to run the seat belts across the alcantara. The seats are designed so that theres a small strip of alcantara exactly at my shoulders where the seat belt always rubs them. It always gets dirty and is really bothersome...
2010 23i Havana brown
1998 740i Vermont green

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 am

Tacomano wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 am Please tell me how not to run the seat belts across the alcantara. The seats are designed so that theres a small strip of alcantara exactly at my shoulders where the seat belt always rubs them. It always gets dirty and is really bothersome...
I use ... titter ye not ... washable sheepskin seatbelt protectors from https://nurseysheepskin.co.uk/collectio ... belt-cover They need to be 15" long, Nursey will make them to measure and they work quite well.

An alternative you'll find if you do a forum search is cordura-type sleeves that you can tie to the plastic loops at the tops of the seats. This looks like a good solution, although the cordura will inevitably rub the Alcantara, but much less than a seatbelt.

The advantage of the sheepskin is that it's soft-on-soft and washable, although it still marks the Alcanata. The reason for this is the dirt that covers everything when the roof's down and is rubbed between any two surfaces that touch. (To see how much, take out your wind deflector and wash it with washing-up liquid in the shower. If you haven't done this already, you'll be surprised how much dirt comes off. )

The bottom line is that, if you want a clean cabin, buy a car with a black interior, black seats & trim. The dirt'll be there, you just won't see it. But if you have Ivory White leather & Alcantara, condition the leather regularly, protect the Alcantara, clean it sometimes, but never rub it.
Vidi, vici, veni

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Do those sheepskin seatbelt protectors need sliding around each time?

I had something similar (albeit Halfrauds speacials) and each time I put the belt on, the protector was around my stomach, so I had to push it back into position, and when taking it off, it didn't allow the belt to recoil unless I moved it down again.

Couldn't be ar$ed with the 2 second cafuffle so I took them back (black leather seats, so not as crucial as alcantara).
2011 E89 sDrive20i

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Just keep them well conditioned and clean them with Johnson's baby wipes. Works on our sofa. :wink:

MICHAELROSCO

Post by MICHAELROSCO » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi what products do people use to clean the Alcantara :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:22 pm Do those sheepskin seatbelt protectors need sliding around each time?
Nope. You can attach 'em at the top - well, your wife can - and the belt runs back when you take it off.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:44 pm

MICHAELROSCO wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 pm Hi what products do people use to clean the Alcantara :thumbsup:
Like buzyg, wetwipes. But Waitrose's own. Gently, with the nap.
Vidi, vici, veni