Is my lacquer ruined?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi guys

Today was my first time washing the car and I could not shift the mess on my wheels. It looks like something has run down the wheels at some point and has maybe damaged the lacquer? I never used a wheel cleaner, just the pressure washer and car shampoo.
20190313_182035-min.jpg
20190313_182035-min.jpg (146.8 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Also, are the 'M' badges glued on? I'm missing two.

Regards
Will

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6725
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am
Location: High Peak,Derbyshire.

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Looks like a cheap wheel refurb and someone has used wheel acid to clean them..

From the pic it doesnt look like a lot can be done to improve them.

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 16924
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm

I would get some degreasing wheel cleaner on those, before you panic too much. No guarantees, but hopefully that will shift. The laquer finish does look quite dull mind you. Yes the badges are just glued on.
Image

GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Hopefully you're right buzyg and the degreaser will do the trick. I have Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner and Surfex arriving tomorrow. Initially my worry was along the lines of what you said Z4M-2006. Hopefully not though in this case. Fingers crossed

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6320
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by john-e89 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Looks like a cheap wheel refurb and someone has used wheel acid to clean them..

From the pic it doesnt look like a lot can be done to improve them.
Left on too long or forgotten to rinse off at all perhaps.. :(
Massey Ferguson 718 GTS....what were they thinking.....and yet I still bought one..... :oops:
M roady
E89 35is
MR2 mk 2

Just too many toys.....

GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm
Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Looks like a cheap wheel refurb and someone has used wheel acid to clean them..

From the pic it doesnt look like a lot can be done to improve them.
Left on too long or forgotten to rinse off at all perhaps.. :(
If that is the case, will any amount of polish shift it?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6320
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by john-e89 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 pm

GixerWill wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm
john-e89 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm
Z4M-2006 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Looks like a cheap wheel refurb and someone has used wheel acid to clean them..

From the pic it doesnt look like a lot can be done to improve them.
Left on too long or forgotten to rinse off at all perhaps.. :(
If that is the case, will any amount of polish shift it?
If Gaz is right about the cheap refurb then I doubt it I’m afraid Will, the acid will have bitten into the paint. Worth a shot polishing but looks like a refurb job imho. Bad luck fella, not what you want.
Massey Ferguson 718 GTS....what were they thinking.....and yet I still bought one..... :oops:
M roady
E89 35is
MR2 mk 2

Just too many toys.....

GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 pm

john-e89 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 pm
GixerWill wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm
john-e89 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm
Left on too long or forgotten to rinse off at all perhaps.. :(
If that is the case, will any amount of polish shift it?
If Gaz is right about the cheap refurb then I doubt it I’m afraid Will, the acid will have bitten into the paint. Worth a shot polishing but looks like a refurb job imho. Bad luck fella, not what you want.
Yeah definitely not what I want (more expense), will see if I can make them look more presentable tomorrow.
Although, it could offer a chance for a slight colour change.

Cheers for the advice guys

Angelus666
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by Angelus666 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 pm

Are the other wheels the same or just this one?

GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 am

Angelus666 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 pm
Are the other wheels the same or just this one?
All four look very similar.

synthedup
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1791
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Rotherham

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by synthedup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 am

Try running a small area down with some 2000/2500 wet and dry and then polish. They may come up ok.

Angelus666
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 am

If you find you can polish most of the marks away, it might be worth getting a can of clear coat and having a go yourself first. There’s lots of YouTube videos on how to do this, very straight forward and the results are often pretty good. If that fails then get then refurbed for £200 or so for the set.

GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 am

Turns out wet and dry only made them worse :headbang:

I took a trip to a local 'Auto Styling' company. Didn't even know that was a thing. They said it looks as though someone has used a form of acid based cleaner on it at some point. So basically, the wheels need a full refurbishment. :thumbsdown:

On the bright side, they can do all the work for me if I am willing to leave the car with them for two days. Anthracite, Shadow Chrome, or maybe back to the factory colour. Total cost: £260.

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 16924
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 am

GixerWill wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 am
Turns out wet and dry only made them worse :headbang:

I took a trip to a local 'Auto Styling' company. Didn't even know that was a thing. They said it looks as though someone has used a form of acid based cleaner on it at some point. So basically, the wheels need a full refurbishment. :thumbsdown:

On the bright side, they can do all the work for me if I am willing to leave the car with them for two days. Anthracite, Shadow Chrome, or maybe back to the factory colour. Total cost: £260.
That should look great. Guy might just have done you a favour wrecking the laquer. :thumbsup: An expensive favour that is. :wink:
Image

GixerWill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:36 am

Is my lacquer ruined?

Post by GixerWill » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:11 am

Every cloud and all that...

Any suggestions for wheel colour welcome. My car is black with red interior. In the future I will probably change (paint/wrap/dip) all the silver trim in the car to gloss black, if that makes any difference. I am partial to Anthracite, although I do like keeping the car fairly OEM looking. Mmm :?

Post Reply