Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Centre front jacking point

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Centre front jacking point

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:43 am

Copyright Ron Stygar
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:45 am

And there definitely isn't a hockey-puck for the facelift (non-m) oops

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:47 am

That is definitely not on my facelift car, as it looks to be part of the reinforcement plate that I need to replace. I have a spare one waiting to go on in the garage and it doesn't have the jacking point. It also doesn't have the air vent at the right of the picture, so obviously a part unique to the M.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

stupot67

Post by stupot67 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Just had a look under mine - where the jacking point is indicated on TIS there's a shallow recess about the size of the side jacking points. The point is I can't see what and in that case how close there is anything behind it, but as Tom's already used it ...... What could possibly go wrong :cry: .

Stu.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:30 pm

To be honest, jacking one side, sticking an axle stand under, then jacking the other side...will take you about 5mins more than trying to use a jacking point that's not there... And will avoid risking buggering up the front axle.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm

stupot67 wrote:Just had a look under mine - where the jacking point is indicated on TIS there's a shallow recess about the size of the side jacking points. The point is I can't see what and in that case how close there is anything behind it, but as Tom's already used it ...... What could possibly go wrong :cry: .

Stu.
I might have been foolishly lucky Stu. Might be worth jacking from the side points at the rear high enough to get a front axle stand under first and work your way round.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

stupot67

Post by stupot67 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm

A bit of an update....

I lifted the car via the sill jack points onto axle stands, then removed alloy under tray (Replacing TCA's and bushes, CDV removed and changing gearbox oil).

On closer inspection the front subframe is strengthened along it's length internally to the box section and the center point is drilled and tapped to accept a jacking point (As per M's) I assume.

I lifted the car off the axle stands via the subframe while watching very carefully, absolutely no deflection. From this I would say that TIS is correct, and for facelift's this is a viable center jacking point....But only for facelifts.

Stu.

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Good update Stu. I had come across this somewhere as we mentioned as being facelift and m/ specific. I also saw no movement whatsoever on jacking.

Probably worth adding that anybody who may come across this and goes by it does it entirely at their own risk due to so many conflicting write ups on the topic :roll:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
-Tesla M3 LR

chutley

Post by chutley » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Is there a definitive answer for this yet? I have the facelift 3.0Si and there is an alloy recess in the centre that looks like a jack point... Is there anything underneath it to support the weight, or is it a red herring?

If not, how do you jack up the front of the car...? If you use the front jack point under the door sill, where can you then place the axle stand?
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm

chutley wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:52 pm Is there a definitive answer for this yet? I have the facelift 3.0Si and there is an alloy recess in the centre that looks like a jack point... Is there anything underneath it to support the weight, or is it a red herring?

If not, how do you jack up the front of the car...? If you use the front jack point under the door sill, where can you then place the axle stand?
Good question I have been wondering the same although mine is a lowly 2.0 4pot

chutley

Post by chutley » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm

viewtopic.php?t=20640

I've found this thread, which shows the point I refer to, but no definitive answer.
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si