Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Paul Smith
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by Paul Smith » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi,
I've finally got a used airbag ECU for my 2003 Z4 3.0 and after fitting it the airbag light is still on. A pal used a Snap on scanner to read the fault code and the "Safety and Gateway module" shows the error "93AB Incorrect chassis number. He can clear the fault but it immediately returns.

Is there anyone anywhere near Peterborough that has the necessary equipment to code my VIN number onto the new module please? I'm happy to travel, I'd just love my car back!

User avatar
paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: south yorkshire

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 am

Try crash fast. Co. Uk
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

User avatar
mac27040
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3111
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Shepshed

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by mac27040 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:46 pm

think you can code it via SSSv32 software which i have, i have coded other modules so happy to have a go for you. I'm in Shepshed, Leicestershire
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL,Sat nav,bluetooth,TV,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Firestick,R-cam,Hydrographics

Paul Smith
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by Paul Smith » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:23 pm

mac27040 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:46 pm
think you can code it via SSSv32 software which i have, i have coded other modules so happy to have a go for you. I'm in Shepshed, Leicestershire
Thanks, I might take you up on your offer. I asked a few local indies and they all said it couldn't be done except for Bensten Motors in St Ives so I'm taking the car there on Thursday. They say it's not guaranteed to accept my VIN number but they're happy to try.

User avatar
mac27040
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3111
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Shepshed

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by mac27040 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Ok let me know if you need me to have a go.
I have the following software:
SSSv32
DIS57
INPA
Navcoder
NCSexpert
winKFP
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL,Sat nav,bluetooth,TV,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Firestick,R-cam,Hydrographics

bod9000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by bod9000 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm

I am having the same issue with my 2.0l 2005 Z4. Hood was left down and got water into the safety module. Managed to get a second hand unit but now it's throwing an error code that the chassis number doesn't match. I've taken it to a local independent who has tried and failed to code it. Really don't want to go down the route of a new ecu!! To make matters worse he reckons the left and right pillar ecus need replacing at the same time for the system to work. Any help suggestions welcome

Paul Smith
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by Paul Smith » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:04 pm

bod9000 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm
I am having the same issue with my 2.0l 2005 Z4. Hood was left down and got water into the safety module. Managed to get a second hand unit but now it's throwing an error code that the chassis number doesn't match. I've taken it to a local independent who has tried and failed to code it. Really don't want to go down the route of a new ecu!! To make matters worse he reckons the left and right pillar ecus need replacing at the same time for the system to work. Any help suggestions welcome
Mine's going in tomorrow, hopefully they'll be able to code it. I'll let you know how I get on.

bod9000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by bod9000 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 am

Good luck!!

Paul Smith
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by Paul Smith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm

bod9000 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 am
Good luck!!
It didn't work!! They say they only use BMW software which I'm pretty sure will never do it. I've now removed the dash and put some black tape over the bulb so that I can get an MOT.

Paul Smith
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by Paul Smith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:12 pm

mac27040 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 pm
Ok let me know if you need me to have a go.
I have the following software:
SSSv32
DIS57
INPA
Navcoder
NCSexpert
winKFP
The indy couldn't do it so I'd be grateful for your help. I've covered up the bulb and can hopefully get an MOT, when that's done I'll let you know. Thanks again. Paul

User avatar
mac27040
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3111
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Shepshed

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by mac27040 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:37 am

ok let me know as i will check up on the procedure to do it.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL,Sat nav,bluetooth,TV,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Firestick,R-cam,Hydrographics

User avatar
mac27040
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3111
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 pm
Location: Shepshed

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by mac27040 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:52 am

found this on the internet:

Step by Step to edit VIN, Flash, Code to Default, Clear Errors and Start System Time of the Airbag Gateway Module.

INPA: UIF (User Information Field) Report
1-Open INPA>select your car model (E60)>Functional Jobs>F3 UIF
2-You'll see a list of all control units with their ZUSB number and VIN
3-Print to PDF the report.
4-Identify the ZUSB numbers without your VIN and copy from the PDF and close INPA

WinKFP: Edit VIN and Flash Module
5-Open WinKFP (Load SPDaten files google it)
6-Select comfort mode
7-Then click find ZUSB
8-Paste the number you copied
9-this will go straight to the right ZUSB
10-Then enter your full VIN and then click on done
11-Double check that the module your going to flash it's safe to flash with your cable and the battery needs to be connect to another power source
12-Click on update ZUSB (this will flash the module with SPDaten files and re-write the VIN)

NCExpert: Code to Default
13- Open NCExpert
14-Load profile -> Expertmode -> F1 -> F3 -> choose E60 from the list -> choose any module you want from this list -> now click F6 Back -> select F4 Process ECU -> choose Module -> now click ReadECU -> close the notepad window that showed up after the module was read.
15-Press F5 for basic functions -> Select "coapiReadSgGetFswPsw" and click Ok -> Select F2 "job" select SG_CODIEREN and press ok -> Press F3 Execute job and wait for the buttons to become active, when active it's all done.

INPA: Identification Report and Clear Errors
16-Open INPA>select your car model (E60)>Functional Jobs>Identification
17-Print the report to PDF.
18-Look in the SGBD column the module you replace
19-Clear (EM, IM and HM) Errors and Close INPA

Ediabas Tool32: Start System Time
20-Start Tool32
21-Select File->Load SGBD, Group file
22-Browse to the EDIABAS\ECU folder, and search for the file name based on the listed SGBD column. Can be more than 1 file.
23-In the Left of the window select systemzeit_lesen (write)
24-In the middle of the window Argument (value of) type 1 in the dropdown menu
25-double click systemzeit_lesen and done.
26-double click systemzeit_starten. (no arguments)

too to restart the time..
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL,Sat nav,bluetooth,TV,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Firestick,R-cam,Hydrographics

Truman
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 am

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by Truman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Paul Smith wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm
bod9000 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 am
Good luck!!
It didn't work!! They say they only use BMW software which I'm pretty sure will never do it. I've now removed the dash and put some black tape over the bulb so that I can get an MOT.
Don't they check that the bulb comes on and then goes off when you start the engine?

Online
User avatar
R60BBA
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:53 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by R60BBA » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Paul Smith wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:52 pm
Hi,
I've finally got a used airbag ECU for my 2003 Z4 3.0 and after fitting it the airbag light is still on. A pal used a Snap on scanner to read the fault code and the "Safety and Gateway module" shows the error "93AB Incorrect chassis number. He can clear the fault but it immediately returns.

Is there anyone anywhere near Peterborough that has the necessary equipment to code my VIN number onto the new module please? I'm happy to travel, I'd just love my car back!
Why did you get that in the first place?

Was your car in an accident?
Image

Used to own the above.

Now I drive an E46 M3 Coupe:
  • Engine: S54B32
  • Colour: Carbon Schwarz
See more here: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/ ... ck.202911/

Instagram: bavarianjunkie
https://youtu.be/y0ymv8jOC0Y

bod9000
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Coding a secondhand Airbag ECU, can anyone help please?

Post by bod9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Quick update. Eventually took the z4 to the dealership to see if they could code it. They couldnt and it can't be done as the chassis number cannot be overwritten on the safety ecu. £900 for a new coded safety ecu fitted at the dealer!

Post Reply