Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical roof problems - INPA Help

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
GB E85

Post by GB E85 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:22 pm

I've had a problem with my roof for a while, occasionally it works fine, but usually when I press the open button nothing happens, no light, no window movement and no unlatch so I think it's electrical rather than moto related.

I've checked the microswitch and the relevant fuses but found nothing so I scanned it with INPA giving this.

Annoyingly it's in German. All the errors seem to relate to the outside temperature
the most frequent being the top one described as "static failure" and has occurred 31 times.

Has anyone come across similar issues and if so did they manage to fix them themselves?
Attachments
INPA readout
INPA readout
IMG_20190213_163618.jpg (243.02 KiB) Viewed 501 times

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Have you not put through google translate?

GB E85

Post by GB E85 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Yeah I've translated it easily enough, it's more that I'm unsure how to fix the problem.

I know the roof mechanism has a temperature sensor that stops the hydraulic motor if its too cold to protect it so maybe replacing that might be the fix.

I've seen people have replaced the whole roof module and that has fixed similar electrical gremlins for them but I haven't found a good guide on how to do that yet

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 am

What does your cars outside temp display? If it’s -40 which is the default from memory when failed that could be the issue.

GB E85

Post by GB E85 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

The outside temperature reading is about right so I don't think it's that.

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Used to happen to mine on and off then finally stopped, found it was the wiring loom in the roof where it goes down the passenger side. Up and down movements over time cause the wires to kink and eventually break, they are so thin, just like telephone wire.
Someone on here from Leicester sorted mine.
Been fine since.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

GB E85

Post by GB E85 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 pm

I replaced the roof module yesterday and it works perfectly now. Thanks for the help