Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camber adjustments

"M" Specific discussion
samZ4M

Camber adjustments

Post by samZ4M » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm

All, my car has had a knock, it's in for some work soon and it's going to be aligned with Hunter equipment (on the hub apparently!). I had this done by a local garage recently, and the attached is how it came out. It was set to standard, but they recommended -1.5° on the caber.

When the garage align it, they'll do factory standards, but they've said if I provide preferences, they'll do that. So, whats the 'best' setup for fast road driving? Stick to my results on the attached?
IMG_61821.jpg
IMG_61821.jpg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Camber adjustments

Post by buzyg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

My rear Camber is certainly set at 1.5. Works well for me on fast road driving. Any more and the inside edge, wears any less and the car feels a bit lose pushing on. Just my thoughts. :)

TomK

Camber adjustments

Post by TomK » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I'd be inclined to agree with your guys and would suggest maxing out the front camber which I think 'stock' gives you about 1.5-ve. You might suffer a small amount on inner tyre wear if you're doing a bunch of motorway driving, but if that's not an issue then you will benefit from a keener turn in and greater front end grip. The rest looks fine, I've found the rear to be a bit unruly with any more camber than 1.5 so I'd leave that there myself. Of note on your 'after' settings, the rear toe settings are set to the edge of spec in either direction which really isn't great. I've found these cars to be particularly sensitive to rear toe adjustments so I tend to make sure these are as close as we can be to being the same.
It's quite a subjective subject though, what one person likes isn't necessarily for another.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Camber adjustments

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm My rear Camber is certainly set at 1.5. Works well for me on fast road driving. Any more and the inside edge, wears any less and the car feels a bit lose pushing on. Just my thoughts. :)
I concur with that Jon... :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

crustyclown777

Camber adjustments

Post by crustyclown777 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 pm

What about the CSL set up?
Z4MC Interlagos Blue
Instagram: z4mcuk

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Camber adjustments

Post by MrPT » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I’d really recommend max -ve on the front. Gives it that “wants to turn” feeling.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Ed Doe

Camber adjustments

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Another endorsement for max neg camber on the fronts.

Things to be aware of though/ask yourself first - Are you happy with how the car drives at the minute? If not what are the symptoms you want to dial out or reduce? In general are you confident in the car and are you comfortable with oversteer, or in general a more 'nervous' car.

If you are a less confident driver, and drive the car on the road mostly you may be fine with a more stable car that tends toward understeer at the limit as this is a safer setup, but it obviously be less nimble. If you're more confident and like a bit of throttle adjustability and rotation into cars, then the csl alignment is a good starting point for fast road. I ran it for ages on my si - nice and neutral with bags of adjustability, and great front end grip.

Summary is exactly as TomK said - horses for courses - there is no such thing as the perfect geometry setup for the car - only the perfect geometry set up for the driver :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Vanne

Camber adjustments

Post by Vanne » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 am

Max neg for sure at the front. 1.5 is fine for the rear.

running -3.2 at front atm, -2.3 at the rear. :thumbsup: but then mine isn't a daily by any means.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3